Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_993460157

kitchen decorating help

Lisa Murray
3 years ago

I am in the process of buying this home and I have a more glam/contemporary style. We will not be changing cabinets or countertop. What stools, paint color, and lighting would you recommend

Comments (3)

• herbflavor
    3 years ago

just to throw out an observation. How do you feel about the floor? its got almost a rustic thing happening against your smooth painted traditional cream cabinets. In certain situations the floor would work with an aesthetic that would be intended. However imagine if you stripped it and restained a more homogenous color ? I think with new hardware/ different valance and accesories this could drift over into at least transitional/ maybe eclectic. The stone chimney, since painted anyway, with a strong color could be a feature to tie in w floor in a smoothed out tone....maybe a different island top. The pendants could stay /they look transitional/maybe change them up later if you desire and have time to look. the floor would be a cost , and not certain what is in adjoining spaces, but it's an attention grabber. Modern would say to me: tone that down..an accent or contrast is good/desirable that's why the stone on the wall could maybe play into that. But that floor is keeping the cabinets in a traditional aesthetic /the cream paint is playing off the wood grain whereas think how different a dark gray tile would make the space change. Not advocating gray tile.....but evaluating for something else, possibly , for the floor boards could be something to take up. Nice space in many ways.

• aprilneverends
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Nice kitchen, and I love that hood

What about chairs along these lines? imo they read glam/contemporary enough to marry the more rustic/traditional kitchen and the look you're after

https://www.amazon.com/Desi-Counter-Chair-Set-Beige/dp/B08BWD3FTY/ref=sr_1_71?crid=ZHI1CUCP2HEK&dchild=1&keywords=zuo+bar+stool&qid=1612368299&sprefix=Zuo+bar%2Caps%2C220&sr=8-71

(sorry doesn't let me save images)

there are also many chairs in performance velvet, different finishes' legs, that read more glam..they come in different colors, look at the same brand Zuo..or you can simply google, say, velvet bar stools. or something similar. They're actually very popular now.

But upholstery needs to work colorwise, and you'll need to repeat whatever finish is there, in accessories a bit. Unless it's stainless steel which they also have with these kind of bar stools.

I'd go for glam/contemporary accessories(functional, of course). A teapot? (Look at Alessi on Amazon, for example..many cool shapes, and will give you suggestions on other teapots-very cool design. Look at Le Creuset and similar to get really pretty color suggestions too. It's really a pity it's impossible to save image somehow..)A fruit bowl? A cool utensil holder? It all will tweak the space ever so slightly in the direction you'd prefer. Without major changes.

A runner might be a nice idea.

(I bet you can even find glam/contemporary rooster if you want to:)

There are many wonderful dish towels too. Check FinnStyle for high quality modern ones.

I'd tackle paint and lights later if I'm still not satisfied..upholstery and accessories might give me ideas. For now it all seems to work and can be taken either way.

PS sorry for all the typos. And good luck on the house buying process!

• Christian Brodersen
    2 years ago

You can find some inspiration here