bayarea_girl

US David Austin handbook 2021

bayarea_girl_z9ca

I received my US David Austin handbook 2021 yesterday. If you are waiting for yours, you will receive it soon. It’s beautiful. Each rose has its close up and bush shots. I love it.

Normally there was a 15% coupon code included with the previous years’ handbooks. There is no coupon in this year's handbook. With the current situation, people have to stay home and work on their gardens, so we won’t see many coupons offered in garden related things.

Pic credits are from @david_austin_roses

Helen

• noseometer...(7A, SZ10, Albuquerque)

I made a deal with myself that I wouldn’t order Eustacia Vye until I got the catalog and the discount code, and if it was sold out by then, so be it. I would have gotten Eustacia Vye and Emily Bronte but I knew they would be a risk in this climate. I sent DA an email to see if they thought they would do well here in the hot and dry (they are not listed with the hot/dry roses) and since Desdemona does well here but Boscobel and Abe are lackluster. Their response was to send me a list of roses that are hardy to zone 6 and tell me that DA doesn‘t reveal parentage...NOT helpful. I don’t need to know the parentage, but if they come from the same breeding line, then they might do well. So it’s better that I wait and see how they do for other people first, and let those in better climates have a first crack at them. Anyway, I wish David Austin Roses would go back to breeding roses that are like Cressida or St. Cecilia or St. Swithun, but with more disease resistance. As pretty as the new roses are, they don’t make my heart sing like those older ones.

bayarea_girl_z9ca thanked noseometer...(7A, SZ10, Albuquerque)
  • Diane Brakefield

Noseo, I can't believe that Boscobel is lackluster in your hot and dry, when it is one of the best roses in my hot and dry. Strange. Shades of Tom Jones--"a full bosomed trollop of a rose"? Who came up with that description? Diane

bayarea_girl_z9ca thanked Diane Brakefield
  • noseometer...(7A, SZ10, Albuquerque)

Boscobel is short and twiggy in my garden and in the heat has a petal count of maybe 10. Maybe I'm doing something wrong.

I hope I didn't offend anyone by referring to that quote. It's from the book "100 English Roses for the American Garden" by Saxon Holt and he says it is "To quote a well-known gardener..." so he doesn't actually say who said it. I just see that phrase as being said by somebody who really loves their roses, and this one in particular, as a personal term of endearment. But I deleted it from my post anyway.

• MiGreenThumb (Z5b S.Michigan/Sunset 41) Elevation: 1,029 feet

Well, that didn't last too long! SoF is listed as out-of-stock again!

Steven

bayarea_girl_z9ca thanked MiGreenThumb (Z5b S.Michigan/Sunset 41) Elevation: 1,029 feet
  • seil zone 6b MI

Talked with the Pres. of my rose society yesterday. He has been talking to the local nurseries to get their rose lists for this year. They have all told him that DAs are getting very hard to get and they won't be carrying much if any. Weird because last year they were EVERY WHERE! I even saw them at Costco and Home Depot. At one point I remember complaining because that seemed like all you could find were those DA pots and they were WAY expensive! I already have 4 DAs and I'm not a giant fan of them so I was a little disappointed. It seemed like they were getting to be as ubiquitous as Knockouts. I really wonder what kind of selection we'll end up with this year?

bayarea_girl_z9ca thanked seil zone 6b MI
  • noseometer...(7A, SZ10, Albuquerque)

Just got my DA catalog today. That thing is pure evil.

• bayarea_girl_z9ca

@noseometer...(7A, SZ10, Albuquerque) I agree. It is more evil this time around 😂. Helen

• flowersaremusic z5 Eastern WA

This is my first year to order directly from DA. I've always requested the catalogs in the past, but since I placed an order this year, I figured it would come automatically. Do I need to request it anyway?

bayarea_girl_z9ca thanked flowersaremusic z5 Eastern WA
  • bayarea_girl_z9ca

@flowersaremusic z5 Eastern WA Since it’s so easy to request the catalog from their website, I just request it each year to make sure they send it. Helen

• noseometer...(7A, SZ10, Albuquerque)

I do the same thing, Helen, and it results in me getting two. I consider it a backup just in case one gets damaged from all the handling it gets!

• flowersaremusic z5 Eastern WA

Thanks Helen and Noseometer. I'll go ahead and request one. If they send me two, I know someone who would love the extra one. I know what you mean noseometer. You should see my old catalogs from Roses of Yesterday and Today. I think of them as antiques.

• susan9santabarbara

The last DA catalog I received was 2019. I requested one on the website for 2020, and never received it. I requested one a couple of weeks ago on the website, so we'll see.

bayarea_girl_z9ca thanked susan9santabarbara
  • chris209 (LI, NY Z7a)

Mine came about a week ago and I've been browsing through it ever since. It really is a feast for the eyes. I don't plan to order anything from them this year, but their pictures have once again encouraged me to order more astrantia. Out of 4 plants I've purchased the past couple of years, only one currently lives, but who knows if it'll survive the winter. To see huge swaths of it in the catalogue, and also when I was on vacation in England several years ago, is quite impressive. I love how the catalogue shows the roses in the garden amongst other companion plants. Very inspiring.

-Chris

bayarea_girl_z9ca thanked chris209 (LI, NY Z7a)
  • Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley

Just got mine yesterday!🤗

bayarea_girl_z9ca thanked Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
  • Kitty6aNY

Lovely new catolog from DA. I have one sent to my daughter, my son, and myself received this week! I love pondering their roses in the catolog! I have 5 DA roses coming from DA in Texas. I ordered other DA roses , too! Love DA roses! Once the catalog is in your hands... it’s so tempting to order.

I just ordered 3 more roses today, but from other catalogs.... I don’t know...I’m up to about 95 roses now.... I have my eye on several more but trying to space out my ordering...I’ll wait on about 7-9 I’d like....oh, my...to complete my designs

bayarea_girl_z9ca thanked Kitty6aNY
  • bart bart

Yeah, it's nice eye-candy, but awfully deceptive. I agree with Seil.

bayarea_girl_z9ca thanked bart bart
  • mustbnuts zone 9 sunset 9

Me too, Bart. I am using my catalogs as rests for my computer mouse. I haven't even looked at this years. Perhaps because DA's generally don't do well in my area with a few exceptions. I am far more excited by old tea roses than any new DA rose. Out of the over 24 different DA roses I have tried over the years, I only have four left. If I get my Augusta Louis this coming fall, I will only have three varieties left. Shovel pruned this year are Sharifa Asma, Lady of Shallot and Brother Cadfael. When my Augusta comes, the remaining Brother Cadfael will have to go as I have no more space. Shame because I do love the shape of the flower of BC and its fragrance is to die for, however, he is pretty much a once bloomer and then only when his canes reach 8--12 feet. I may try him as a climber, but his canes are pretty stiff, so I don't think it will work.

bayarea_girl_z9ca thanked mustbnuts zone 9 sunset 9
  • Lala Idaho Zone 7a

Thank you for sharing! I need to see that catalog! I am excited to have Eustacia Vye coming. I hope it stays on the smaller side because I plan to grow in a pot and attempt to over winterize. I am a little nervous about trying to over winter in a pot because I have no experience in this. I was told EV is zoned 4-11 but unknown performance. I am zone 7a so we’ll see what happens (unless I chicken out and try a different rose for my first pot growing rose).

Looming forward to seeing everyone’s photos this summer!

bayarea_girl_z9ca thanked Lala Idaho Zone 7a
  • Kitty6aNY

Hi, Lala,

I see you are in Idaho zone 7a for roses growing. Does it truly go down to 0-10 F zone 7a where you are?

That is pretty cold for potted roses. I am not sure what could survive the winter in a pot in cold climates. A zone 4 roses is excellent but I am still concerned. Best wishes.

FRIENDS,

Has anyone had plants in pots in zone 7a survive winter?

I am planting 2 roses in pots for spring-summer and I am zone 6A NY, but plan to slide them in ground in fall for winter. May

If you can bury the pot in the ground in the fall for winter, that works too for warmth.

I have been thinking how to keep them -my new roses in pots, best warm during winter., too.

bayarea_girl_z9ca thanked Kitty6aNY
  • Diane Brakefield

On occasion, it gets down to 0-10F in winter. We had one 9F this winter in zone 7A, Boise. Usually, winters aren't bad here, but in 2017 we had a bad one. It got down to -9F a few nights. Around 2011, we changed from zone 6A to zone 7A. I would not try to grow roses in unprotected pots in my location. I would either bury the pots or keep them in the garage. Diane

• Kitty6aNY

Hi, Diane,

Wonderfull, very good!I am interested in your roses in pots and I am trying it this year, too..

I choose zobe 4,5, and 6 roses, usually. Your zone 4 rose should be excellent for winter!

I have very big clay pots I will be planting

2 roses in. Maybe I will transfer them to smaller pots and bury them in the fall.

Thank you for your ideas. Maybe we will both have rises in pots this year.

bayarea_girl_z9ca thanked Kitty6aNY
  • Lala Idaho Zone 7a

Hmmm... Now I am thinking I shouldn’t do it. Our garage gets to warm as my husband is always tinkering in it and has a heater going frequently. I was hoping I could scoot it next to my wall under the back covered porch for winter but maybe not. Lots to think about. Thanks for the advice.

• Marlorena-z8 England-

..the latest Austin due out next week is called 'Nye Bevan', and is another pretty yellow.. only one rose as far as I know.. due to production problems with lockdowns and so on..

bayarea_girl_z9ca thanked Marlorena-z8 England-
  • Kitty6aNY

Lala,

Dont be discouraged.... just bury the pots or transplant in fall? Hope it works out for you.

Otherwise, I always plant petunias and fall flowers in pots for the season only.

Best Wishes!

bayarea_girl_z9ca thanked Kitty6aNY
  • Brandon Garner

I have requested a copy 4 different times now and still nothing. oh well, I just wanted to look at it, not actually buy anything from them.

bayarea_girl_z9ca thanked Brandon Garner
  • chris209 (LI, NY Z7a)

@Marlorena-z8 England- Thanks for the notification. We look forward to pictures!

-Chris

• Kitty6aNY

Brandon,

Call them and request in oerson. I did and I receive a book for each family member.😊🌺❤️

bayarea_girl_z9ca thanked Kitty6aNY
  • Ann9BNCalif

Here's an announcement I saw on Facebook about Nye Bevan. Sorry about the poor photo quality.

Ann

bayarea_girl_z9ca thanked Ann9BNCalif
  • Diane Brakefield

Brandon, all your copies went to Kitty.

Ann, do you know any details? Diane

• Ann9BNCalif

Sorry Diane - I don’t know anything about it.

Ann

bayarea_girl_z9ca thanked Ann9BNCalif
  • Kitty6aNY

Hi, Friends,

I heard on a thread a little confusion as to why David Austin Roses was not going to sell to the small nurseries this year 2021 and I found an article explains the issue. It probably is due to pandemic, but I hope they will build back in future. This article explains they are “low in stock.” Best wishes to our beloved , “David Austin Rises!”!

bayarea_girl_z9ca thanked Kitty6aNY
  • bayarea_girl_z9ca

Some close up pics of Nye Bevan from David Austin. Helen

• oursteelers 8B PNW

I was bummed to see light fragrance, will probably pass on this one

bayarea_girl_z9ca thanked oursteelers 8B PNW
  • bayarea_girl_z9ca

@oursteelers 8B PNW I saw DA has a lot of seedlings in their greenhouse so from the current released pics, this rose’s look doesn’t wow me. I will pass this one, too. Helen

• Mischievous Magpie

Okay so I'm not the only one! I love pastels but to me, this one looks like half a day in CO's high elevation summer sun is going to turn that blossom into an ugly mess. Even at peak beauty for that photo, I don't see the appeal. And light fragrance? Psh.

bayarea_girl_z9ca thanked Mischievous Magpie
  • mustbnuts zone 9 sunset 9

I am not wowed by it either. Meh. Pass.

• chris209 (LI, NY Z7a)

I think it looks charming but agree, not looking like a must have. The blooms remind me of some of the scotch roses which I do like.

• bayarea_girl_z9ca thanked sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida 9a)
  • Dave6aMO

I have to agree with everyone else. It doesn’t look like it will hold its color and with a light fragrance, I probably would pass on it as well.

bayarea_girl_z9ca thanked Dave6aMO
  • bayarea_girl_z9ca

An image of UK David Austin handbook 2021 :) I'm sure @Marlorena-z8 England- will receive hers soon and share the pics here. Thanks Marlorena. Helen

• schoolhouse_gwagain

I received mine about the same time as bayarea. I actually had saliva dripping from the corner of my mouth as I paged through it.

bayarea_girl_z9ca thanked schoolhouse_gwagain
  • bayarea_girl_z9ca

More info about Nye Bevan rose.

An uplifting rose bearing unusual open cupped flowers of soft yellow, paling to cream. The scallop-shaped, incurved petals are loosely yet generously assembled around a central boss of golden stamens, creating a soft, airy appearance. There is a spectacular first flush of blooms, which are borne in well-spaced sprays and displayed proudly against the mid-green, semi-glossy foliage. Forms a healthy, medium-sized upright bush with a light myrrh fragrance, whose hips must be removed to encourage repeat flowering. It's a medium shrub: 3.5ft (90cm) H and 2.5ft (75cm) W.

It is named in honor of Aneurin (Nye) Bevan, founder of Britain’s National Health Service and in recognition of the NHS, its people, and associated organizations and charities. £2.50 ($3.49) from the sale of each Nye Bevan rose will be donated to a selection of NHS and other health-based charities.

Pics and text credits are from David Austin Roses Ltd.

• Marlorena-z8 England-

Yes of course Helen... as soon as I get the book... I think they are inundated currently and struggling to cope as I've usually received it well before now..

• Kitty6aNY

Helen,

Nye Bevan, so delicate in appearance...lovely! Great for more delicate floral arrangements next to cream and light pink roses!!!!

bayarea_girl_z9ca thanked Kitty6aNY
  • Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca

What does “ scotch roses “ mean ? I was told that mill on the floss was a scotch rose but I haven’t seen them to understand that .

bayarea_girl_z9ca thanked Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca
  • Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley

I think they derive from the Scottish species Rosa Spinosissima.

• Kitty6aNY

Vapor,

you are just a wealth of information! Did you take classes in roses?

bayarea_girl_z9ca thanked Kitty6aNY
  • Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley

In my mind!😂

• Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca

Thanks vapor ! Now I can google that and understand it instead of just guessing . Lol