danachit

Mountain House Kitchen Makeover

Dana

Since we've been hunkering down and trying to stay entertained and busy, we completely renovated the exterior of a mountain cottage, gutted two bathrooms and now, just finished a kitchen makeover.

We started out saying "Let's spend about $10K and get a new kitchen! Hahaha!

Right.

So now we have an education and a new kitchen.

Before and After photos with information following:

Info:

We switched sides for the oven and refrigerator and it opened up the space by hiding most of the frig behind a wall.

Yes, we are ordering a cabinet depth frig!!

Ignore the paint. That is coming later, and fixing that hole over the window.

Lights: We removed the popcorn ceiling over the whole house (what a MESS) and replaced the box lights with dimmable canned lights.

Cabinets: built by a local craftsman up here in the mountains who had 32 yrs experience. I showed him pinterest photos of pull out drawers with pan dividers, wine bottle holders, hidden cutting board, pull out trash, ...you name it, he copied it to a tee. Corbels under each end. Seed glass in the three cabs by the sink. And my favorite part is the cookbook nook!! Like seriously my favorite part of the kitchen!!

The paint: Benjamin Moore Linen White in semi gloss. They are very very creamy, which is what I wanted. I tried 25 different sample sizes of warm white and was afraid linen white would be too white, but....our light up here is warm so it's extra warm in our space.

Hardware: Sun Valley Bronze solid bronze in S3 finish. Oval Knobs and bin pulls. These things are as heavy as lead. Sun Valley bronze was GREAT in helping me choose and sent me a gorgeous heavy-duty sample box of every metal they make. It was stunning and an example of their superior product and service.

Counters: Black Pearl granite honed and leathered. I loved soapstone but this was second favorite. I love the soft black. It's like a softened charcoal and I can't stop touching it.

Sink: Kohler Whitehaven tall apron front in sea salt. I added the rack in the bottom and use a silicone rack atop the sink, which I can easily roll up and put away. I put a small wash bin in the left side of this big sink and keep soapy water for dirty dishes. It's a great set up. 33" wide.

Faucet: Moen Weymouth spring pull down in polished nickel with the moen soap dispenser also in polished nickel. It has a nice spray action, reaches all over the sink and was a snap to install. The polished nickel came with a black hose, which I didn't care for, so I ordered the grey one, crawled under the sink and installed it in five minutes. I LOVE it!

Backsplash: Ah...my favorite part!! After months of searching for a pale blue tile I saw in a google photo, a woman on here identified the kitchen in the photo and I was able to speak to the designer. This is Waterworks handmade crackle tile in Ice water, 3 x 6 subway, with mapai ultra color plus FA in frost grout/caulk. I pre-sealed the tile using Impregnator 511 and had an old-school installer put it up. He grumbled about the handmade variances of the tile, but it's beautiful and I'm so very happy how it adds a subtle color without being too loud. This tile is pricey but I found if for half off.

I am currently looking at pendant lights and may add a couple over the peninsula, but that will come later.

The most expensive 'treats' were the sea salt color for the sink, the solid bronze hardware and the backsplash tile. But honestly, when you know it's a house you won't be selling, it's important to install what you love.

The kitchen is incredibly functional. I have a pull out trash, and a hidden pull out, removable cutting board, and spices, pans, pots all right by my stove.

I'll be painting the walls, and changing out the frig for a counter depth one soon.