Software
Houzz Logo Print
sonjamc7

Backsplash suggestions?

13 years ago
We just had our countertops installed and need a backsplash. We have a light blue/gray paint on the walls, black appliances, gray tile floors, cherry cabinets and white fantasy quartzite. Suggestions?

Comments (55)

  • 13 years ago
    From the samples you've brought home, I like the one on the right, the lightest one, the best. But I think you can probably find something better. Hopefully Andrea Prasch can find a photo of what she describes. It sounds good.
  • 13 years ago
    Oh and we will be changing out our hardware, just haven't gotten to it yet.
  • 13 years ago
    I like the third and the fifth tile. How much area will these tiles cover? The black will have a tendency to stand out a lot overall and may cause an over powering effect (depending how much area coverage). Also is this room facing North or Southern exposure? (Light changes). Hope that helps.
  • 13 years ago
    You know, I just had a thought about why I don't like the other samples. They are too cool. And the black is too harsh. If you can find something that has a relation to the brown of your kitchen cabinets... I'll see if I can find some examples of what I'm thinking of.
  • 13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    Yes, I was worried the black was overpowering. So it doesn't seem like the white is too creamy in the 2nd,3rd or 5th? I was trying to find something that had blue, brown and gray, but those seem to be hard to find.
  • 13 years ago
    Found a couple that (I think, but it's always difficult to see the exact colours on screen) have grey and brown in it and will work well with your kitchen. Bring a bit of warmth into it. They're all from this site:
    http://products.daltile.com/series.cfm?series=114&item=5489&look=trendymosaics
  • 13 years ago
    Oh... and there's a site that lets you create your own mosaic, if you really can't find anything
    http://www.modwalls.com/eyecandy.aspx
  • 13 years ago
    Thank you carolins, I like those choices much better than the ones I found. The room is definitely "cool" so it would be nice to have a backplash that blends with the warm cabinets.
  • 13 years ago
    You're welcome. None of those may be perfect, but I do prefer them to the really black ones too. (And I do particularly like the two bottom ones.)
  • 13 years ago
  • 13 years ago
    Have you considered a mother of pearl tile? I think it will give you the mosaic look that you like but (in my opinion) it's a bit more elegant and special than the glass mosaics. I also like that while there is variation it's a bit more monochromatic. I put your fourth choice above in my kids' bathroom a few years ago and I regret it now. It's a bit much and I plan to remove it eventually.
    shell tile mother of pearl tiles bathroom wall tile seashell penny round mosaic · More Info
  • 13 years ago
    Wow! Yes, I love that. It looks like it would reflect a lot of light which I am looking for since I have dark cabinets and black appliances.
  • 13 years ago
    I'm glad you like it! If you search houzz kitchens you can see a bunch of examples of it in action.
  • 13 years ago
    I notice that it comes in penny/round, small rectangles (not sure if there is a formal name) and subway tiles. Is there a rule as to which one to pick? Most of our lines in our kitchen are straight.
  • 13 years ago
    I think you would be fine with any of those in the style of your kitchen. I think sometimes the long skinny tiles or large format subway tiles look more suited to modern or contemporary kitchens, but I think the penny rounds and small or regular subway tiles are pretty versatile.
    This kitchen has some similar elements to yours and they used the little squares.
    Kitchen Remodel for 40th Birthday! · More Info
  • 13 years ago
    I do like the penny rounds though
    Amazing backsplash with Mother of pearl tile PEM0028 · More Info
  • 13 years ago
    ...
  • 13 years ago
    Thank you both. Sam I have that picture already pinned on pinterest! I just couldn't tell what the backsplash was. I'm pretty sure that's what I will go with. Thanks for the help everyone.
  • 13 years ago
    does the mother of pearl come with a silver instead of the gold running thru it? That would be a better compliment to your granite....If not how about a pale gray glass tile?
  • 13 years ago
    I actually like that little bit of gold in it, for that touch of warmth.
  • 12 years ago
    I like the first one of the samples you've brought. Nice choice of countertop, it's not one of those countertops that's hard to pair, it's quite versatile.
  • 12 years ago
    I like your floor
  • 12 years ago
    I have white fantasy also...have paired with a beveled thassos subway tile at my beach house and looks fantastic. With the quartz, you really don't want ant spurious colors detracting from the back splash...but hard to find in natural stone.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    A bit of each color in the room, but most importantly some of the cabinet color.
    Bliss Cabernet Stone and Glass Linear Mosaic Tile, 4" X 6" Sample · More Info
  • 12 years ago
    Painted glasses cheap and it looks very clean. Different colors make the room more interesting.
  • 12 years ago
    Another option would be a light gray glass subway tile.
  • 12 years ago
    My suggestion would be to continue the white fantasy quartz as your back splash. Solid back splash is very easy to keep clean. Using the same material for the counter top and back splash also gives the illusion of a bigger and brighter kitchen. The stage would be set for beautiful counter top accessories that come in every designer color. Do you plan to install under the cabinet lighting?
  • 12 years ago
    The countertop is cold gray, the handles are gold, and the cabinets are brown.... You need something to compliment everything... It's a confusing array of colours so far no offense...
  • 12 years ago
    Can I make a suggestion to change the handles to a silver? That way your room will flow better. And I noticed that your floor is slate? Maybe something that goes with the floor but not busy?
  • 12 years ago
    What about a white subway tile?
  • 12 years ago
    Or this style?
    Kitchen Backsplash - Travertine Sub-Way / Liner and Glass Mosaic · More Info
  • 12 years ago
    Follow cue from flooring. Gray subway tile. Run like floors. Good job. It looks great.
  • 12 years ago
    None of the ones you posted. Too busy, keep it sleek and clean lines. Like floors.
  • 12 years ago
    Hardware brush nickel. Long 8" pulls. Lowes carries.
  • 12 years ago
    This is a old post. August? Did u find something.
  • 12 years ago
    Thanks for all the replies. It is still a work in progress! We are getting new hardware this weekend and buying brushed nickel. We had put off the backsplash to finish some cabinets and clean up some of the other rooms that had taken a toll during the renovation-since the kitchen is functional now. We have pretty much decided to keep the backsplash simple. Probably a subway tile. We will probably choose either a light gray, or light blue. Trying to find something with the brown cabinets, gray/blue walls, black appliances was only giving very busy options. Thanks again for all the replies! I'll update when it is finished.
  • 12 years ago
    Great choice!!
  • 12 years ago
    Love the herringbone pattern. Nice choice.
  • 10 years ago

    Do you have any more 'end product' photos? I have a kitchen with similar cabinets and wall color and am trying to decide on new countertops, floors, and backsplash. I'd love to see your final project, since we have similar tastes/color schemes!

  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    Here are some recent pictures...still have a few little touch ups to do that hopefully will get done this summer! We did change the floor grout from white to gray. Too hard to keep clean where we live.

  • 10 years ago

  • 10 years ago

  • 10 years ago

  • 10 years ago

    I should add one before picture...For perspective, my dog is standing about where the wine fridge is today, and where the fridge is, there is now an opening into the dining room.

  • 10 years ago

    Your pantry looks fab!

  • 10 years ago
    Beautiful job! Also love your pantry
  • 10 years ago

    It's beautiful! Thanks for sharing the extra pictures!

  • 10 years ago
    Beautiful! What is your cooktop? Is it both Gas and electric combo? Is it induction?
  • 10 years ago

    Yes it's both gas and electric, Thermador. I admit I rarely use the electric but it's nice to have if I'm using all three gas spots.