Software
Houzz Logo Print
katherine_wilson98

Does this space look ok?

5 years ago

just wondering if all of this looks ok? Painting will come later. Thank you!




Comments (47)

  • 5 years ago

    Beautiful furniture but personally I don’t think it uses the space well. Try the chair coming at a 30° angle instead of 45° and move the end table off center towards the chair.

  • 5 years ago

    Do you use the doors?

  • 5 years ago

    What is this room used for? Looks like it can be such a lovely seating area. I’d possibly add a love seat or couch. The rug is awesome!!! Love love love!!! ( It might be too small 🤷‍♀️ if the furniture remains like this it’s ok. If you go larger the rug may need to as well)

  • 5 years ago

    I like it all.

    I think that the rug could be bigger.

  • 5 years ago

    It looks lovely and like a nice restful area to read, listen to music or to just sit and be! Nice job👍 Yes, at a later date you could add a second chair so two people could do any of the above, or a bigger rug, but your question was’ does this space look okay?’ Yes it does.

  • 5 years ago

    we use it to sit and read. It would be nice to have additional seating. I personally don’t like the doors. The house is a 50’s ranch and they lead out towards our back porch. This room is part of our open space living area and I didn’t want to crowd the space. Window seems awkward. to me too. I have thought of putting curtains up to hide the wall. I have struggled with this space!

  • 5 years ago

    Maybe someone could suggest a chair or something to potentially go with the chair? Thanks again!

  • 5 years ago

    I actually LOVE the doors. Soo much character!! What’s in between the two doors? A window? Maybe I’d cover that up with art or something. Will try to look around for some more seating ...

  • 5 years ago

    A throw and/or pillow for the chair. A floor plant. A small tray for the tabletop with decorative item as a side tray for drinks and bites.

    Katherine Wilson thanked Beverly Nevils
  • 5 years ago

    Thanks! I am not good with the small details.

  • 5 years ago

    I love it too and I like the doors! I think the area between doors, below your window is where things are less interesting. The doors attract attention but the wall doesn't have anything but the small table. I'm not a designer but I think a light there... some artwork... Drapery would be pretty dramatic (if I weren't good with details) but might very well be the thing to wrap it all up. I love the chair and carpet. Good job!!

  • 5 years ago

    You have some nice pieces. I think you can add two small armchairs, in cream colored upholstery, which would make the room more inviting. Place the round drum end table between the new chairs. Currently it overwhelms the recliner. I would also look for a slightly larger rug in the warm colors of your artwork, but without all the geometric shapes. I think the lines in the rug are fighting with the window grids.

  • 5 years ago

    Yes, I think the wall between the doors wants to be the focal point of this room but there’s nothing really there so it doesn’t have a balanced feel. Are nice bookcases an option in that space? A large palm or other plants would also help breath some freshness into this space. The chair and cabinet are lovely pieces - they just need some help from other elements in the room to feel right in that space.

  • 5 years ago

    Why does Houzz make me type something in order to post a pic

  • 5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

    I love what you've done! I agree with others that while the rug looks fabulous with everything, it's too narrow going that direction. Try turning it. If you can't position it so that it doesn't cover the register/vent, consider pulling it closer to the chair and letting it be off center. Pulling it off center will create more walk space so both doors aren't blocked.

    Or, if you like the arrangement as is, you can layer it on top of a larger, neutral low pile rug.

    Also, try moving the lamp on the console to the other end so the lampshade isn't blocking the artwork when walking by or looking into the space. Since this is a reading room, place a bookshelf between the two doors. If you play guitar, a guitar on that wall would also help define the space.

    I'm not an HVAC expert but I'd consider flipping the arrangement so the console still allows air to draw underneath, then you can place the chair, etc a little closer to the wall on the other side.

  • 5 years ago

    The Eames lounge needs a mate! The furniture is quite nice and I agree with others that a larger rug would fit the space better. How about a plant or 2?

  • 5 years ago

    Thank you! I get overwhelmed with this kind of thing and overall, have had a very hard time feeling comfy in this house. I will try all suggestions. any other ideas are SO appreciated!

  • 5 years ago

    prior to this arrangement, this area was our dining room. I wasn’t sure if the chair looked good w/our sectional, so changed things. maybe I’ll take a few more photos.

  • 5 years ago

    I think the chair should look into the room. Beautiful pieces.

  • 5 years ago

    The area between the doors screams for something taller and more substantial.

  • 5 years ago

    The space between the doors should have a wood bookcase that’s taller and proportional to the space. That will carry out the stated purpose of the room. It very cozy and serene. A small vase of flowers or a plant on the barrel table would add some color.

  • 5 years ago

    I think it’s lovely. Id just add a plant or 2.

  • 5 years ago

    Maybe something like this or this? I will add a plant or two!



  • 5 years ago

    If grids in windows are removable take them out.

  • 5 years ago

    It needs plants to give the room some life.

  • 5 years ago

    Seems like you could add/remove/alter molding to enhance the window wall somehow, maybe even incorporate a fireplace.


    Katherine Wilson thanked bluemarble
  • 5 years ago

    @katherine love the first shelving unit. I happen to love the FP idea even more. Even if it’s faux. Just adds so much character

  • 5 years ago

    Stained glass over the window?

  • 5 years ago

    @bluemarble yessss
    Love that idea. Built in art

  • 5 years ago

    Love the mcm vibe you’ve got going here and that’s a beautiful teak credenza! Just a thought .... in the long run, could you consider replacing the door on the left with a large window? It would bring some nice natural light into the room. And depending on the style, perhaps the chance to open the window for a nice breeze. Since you use the room for reading, a nice vintage teak bookcase that is more proportionate to the space under the window would look pretty and tie in with your other furniture. The side table by your chair seems to dominate the room. Perhaps something smaller, also mcm, would be beautiful. Just an idea, but maybe someday, you could get a womb chair so that another person could curl up with a book in this lovely room.

  • 5 years ago

    Still thinking about the room. Feels a bit like it needs softening to make it cozy. Will probably put a larger rug under the small one. Also...i have this other piece of furniture and this other picture...just wondering if a bigger picture would look better than the two smaller and if this piece would look good under the window. Feel like my home has too much brown wood at the moment. That’s just me. Also, does anyone have a smaller lamp suggestion? ThAmos so much again!



  • 5 years ago



  • PRO
    5 years ago

    That larger photo will look great above the credenza!

    The other piece might feel too large under the window and make the room feel too visually heavy on the center/right of the room.


  • 5 years ago

    Those candle holders are pretty awesome. Agree the other cabinet is too much for that side of the room. Love the telescoping lamp from West Elm if you wanted to stick with a stick haha. Ceramic or glass with color and a bit more girth is an option, but I don't know how MCM literal you want to go.


  • 5 years ago

    I think the larger piece with the vertical height would better fit the space under the window than the current one, which looks too small. I like the set of two prints with the lamp, but would place the lamp on the other end of the credenza so it doesn't cut off the room, and reposition your art on the right side. You can use the smaller end table on the other side of your chair in place of the round one.

  • 5 years ago

    I think that taller piece of furniture would look great under the window- worth a try!

  • 5 years ago

    That‘s true Susan. It’s worth trying. I was thinking the current one is small and the other would be too big. I must still have a fireplace in mind, and it’s mostly white in my vision, so not as imposing.

  • 5 years ago

    Because this is a reading room, I would reorient it. I suggest moving the chair, ottoman and floor lamp to the end of the credenza, angled to face the left door. Try the round side table next to the chair, but you may not need it if the credenza will suit for placing a book and beverage. A new shag pile area rug in an organic shape will soften the hard lines of the windows and credenza...or buy a larger colorful rug (with no brown) that has at least one of the colors in your art. A tall bookcase on the left wall to add height and balance, with open shelves for a spacious feel. Until you get a fireplace, line up art or photos and tiny plant(s) along the window ledge, maybe one that cascades down. Add a textured throw (cotton or knit) on the reading chair. Try the table lamp on the rectangle table under the window, but if it is too wide or tall, it may be happier in another room.

  • 5 years ago

    Many many thanks!!! I took a pic of a fireplace we have that we are not using. Don’t think the style works, but would love feedback. If I move the chair, the credenza would have to be pushed closer to the right door. Otherwise, it will be in a narrow walkway/hallway.


    We also have a fire place in our adjoining living room. Since the two rooms are part of one big open floor plan, do you think two fireplaces woukd work?

  • 5 years ago

    If we use the fireplace, I can repurpose it to make it look more modern perhaps

  • 5 years ago

    Moving the chair to the end of the credenza would mean having all the bigger furniture on one wall....not a good look. Leave the credenza on that wall, making sure you can open the door fully. You need something taller under the high window. Having the lamp next to the thermostat will not allow the thermostat to work properly when the lamp is turned on. Move the lamp to the other end of the credenza.

  • 5 years ago

    This is also a photo of our other fireplace. Planning to paint it


  • 5 years ago

    following - we have a similar layout

  • 5 years ago

    Wow, I love your living room - even the painted fireplace. So, the two fireplaces might be facing each other? That's kinda neat, but if you are using the fireplace in another room and already have one so close, maybe we can think of something else.

    Can you post dimensions of the wall area under the window and the three pieces in question...the current table, the fireplace, and the larger cabinet? Or take photos of each in that spot, but I realize that's a lot to ask.

  • 5 years ago

    I played with one of your shelving units and tried to cover up a bit of the lines with blinds


    Katherine Wilson thanked bluemarble
  • 5 years ago

    Yes, it's great to see something more proportional to this space on that wall. I think bookcases or a fireplace are the right size for that space. There are *so* many straight lines in this room. I think I would replace rug with something with that doesn't have any straight lines. You can keep the great MCM vibe but add more variety of shapes and colors with a different rug that would support the shape of the furniture of the room instead of competing with them. Some photos below with that idea. That, with some large plants, (palm tree or fiddle leaf fig) would really help this space feel great.

    Good luck!



    Katherine Wilson thanked doubledeerfarms
Sponsored
Daniel Home
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars20 Reviews
Premier Interior Design Team Transforming Spaces in Franklin Co, Ohio