Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sewsmore

Sewing/Quilting/Computer Room Makeover!

Bev
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

Last Summer, I tackled my sewing/quilting/computer room with a total makeover to make the room more functional and colorful since I love color! After taking a lot of my craft items out of the room that included sewing, quilting, and beading supplies, I cleaned the room and painted it with a gallon of Palace Rose from Behr and since the color was not vibrant enough for me, I purchased a much deeper rose color from Behr and mixed the 2 together and viola--I got a color that I really love! My husband built shelves from old interior doors given to us and he replaced the carpet with a pretty silvery grey, which I love. I purchased some new furniture to hold my supplies along with creating a peg board and I purchased a new computer desk that would accommodate my new flat screen monitor! I love black with pink along with the brilliant white I used in the room for the trim and closet doors. I decided to paint my shelves with black to again punch up the colors in the room. I spend most of my day in this room and it was very important to get it organized and of course, to add beautiful color. Since I suffer from Fibromyalgia and Osteo Arthritis, it took me 2 months to get everything done.

BEFORE (Furniture and carpet from the last home owners):

One of the first things I did to this room was to remove these ugly drapes (not my style)! The quilted panels on this window were made by me for my last house.

AFTER:

The first machine you see is my HQ Quilting Machine which makes it much easier to quilt quilts! Since this photo was taken, my hubby made the cabinet to the right of the quilting table the same height so that it is much easier to work here. He also mounted my thread racks that hold 120 spools of embroidery thread on the wall left of the window.

Close up of the quilted panels that cover this window. Each panel has an embroidered basket of flowers and they represent the 4 seasons!

This is my pegboard that holds a lot of notions and beading supplies. My hubby built the frame around the board and I painted it black. I shopped at the dollar store for my buckets and trays to save money! I spent a lot of time on You Tube getting ideas for my room.

My other window that has a kitty cot for my cats to sleep on (you see two of them on this cot). I purchased beautiful stained glass items that adorn the upper part of the window. Under the kitty cot are new units that hold cubes which hold a lot of items!

This is one of my clothes closet where I also store a lot of supplies and an embroidery machine on the floor of the closet! The storage units on top of the shelf are from QVC, which I love since they have clear windows so that I can see what fabrics I have stored in them (just a small portion of my fabric stash). The cabinet to the right holds spools of ribbons, jars of buttons, and hanging from the rod are my quilting rulers! That cabinet was purchased from a friend on Etsy and it was too ugly for words! I painted it black and spray painted the cabinet door handle with silver metallic paint, which I also used on the closet door handles. Over the window is a jewelry display bar that after my hubby built the bar and I painted it black, we added door knobs so that I could hang some of the necklaces that I made from the bar (an idea I got while I was on Etsy)! The rolling cart in front of the closet holds tons of beading supplies, which has now been moved to a storage room.

This is where I am at right now writing this post and adding photos. I wanted to share what I did with an approximately 11x12 bedroom to make it into the craft room I always wanted! It can be done with careful planning and adding shelves over windows and doors!

Comments (19)

• plattsbecp
    3 years ago

I love this.... I am in the process of a whole house remodel, when completed I will have the luxury of a sewing/craft room. You have inspired me with many ideas to help organize. Thank you for your post.

Bev thanked plattsbecp
  • Bev
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks so much! I posted this to hopefully help other people wanting to create a craft room!

• Fori
    3 years ago

This is pretty amazing! You got so much stuff in there (and even remembered the cat bed) but it is neat and orderly. I bet it's a really nice place to work.

I bet you're taller than I am, though, based on those shelves! :)

Bev thanked Fori
  • Bev
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks so much! I'm 5'6 but I use a lightweight step ladder that I purchased from QVC or my hubby gets my containers down for me when I need fabric from them! I can handle the shelves above the window since they are not as high as above the closet door.

• Fori
    3 years ago

That's what spouses are for!

Bev thanked Fori
  • Bev
    Original Author
    3 years ago

So very true!

• Suki Mom
    3 years ago

Love it!

Bev thanked Suki Mom
  • amuzyczka
    3 years ago

You've turned it into your "happy place"! Well done!

Bev thanked amuzyczka
  • PRO
    OTM Designs & Remodeling Inc.
    3 years ago

Well done!

Bev thanked OTM Designs & Remodeling Inc.
  • Bev
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you all so much! Here is the first quilt I have finished in 2021 for my MIL, who will turn 88 on Saturday!

These Silent Night Panels from Henry Glass are some of the most beautiful fabrics I have ever seen or used in a quilt! I also used Michael Millers Fairy Frost, which I have used before.

• PRO
    Norwood Architects
    3 years ago

Wow, Bev! That's an awesome quilt you've made!

Bev thanked Norwood Architects
  • Bev
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you very much! Without quilting and my other sewing projects, this past year of staying home would have been depressing.

• PRO
    PAINT POWER
    3 years ago

Good job, Bev!

Bev thanked PAINT POWER
  • Bev
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you so much Kathy! I had to use a lot of imagination to make this room work for me.

• lexma90
    3 years ago

You have a beautiful and functional room; I love the vibrancy of the wall colors and all of your great storage options. I too have a sewing/quilting/computer room in our newish house (moved in at the end of March 2020). My walls are a vibrant pumpkin color, and I also have a cat bed in the window - we call it the nest. I am spending far more time in this room, working, than I thought I would when we started on the house project.

Isn't it wonderful, no matter what the size, to have a room of one's own?

Bev thanked lexma90
  • Bev
    Original Author
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

lexma90 - Thanks so much! Yes, it is great to have a room to myself. I bet your room looks great with the vibrant pumpkin color on the walls and I love that you have a cat bed as well!

• Fori
    3 years ago

Question about the cat beds...do they actually keep the cat from sleeping on your projects? Do you have to put your stuff away whenever you leave the room? I miss my old cat very much but he was SUCH a stinker!

Bev thanked Fori
  • Bev
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Hi Fori--No, they do not and all 3 of my cats love sleeping on any fabric I leave on my sewing tables, especially fleece! When my hubby gets done sanding 6 layers of paint off the door to my room (he also needed to cut it down a little to fit in the doorway since it's not the door the previous owners had for the room), I will paint it with the same ultra white semi gloss paint that I used on all the trim and closet doors and he will rehang the door. Once the door is up, I can close the door and my cats will not be able to get in the room unless I'm up and in the room! The reason I purchased the kitty cots for my cats is our last house had a sliding glass door and all 3 loved laying in the sunshine coming through the door. We only have solid wood doors in this house without glass and it's perfect for them to lay in the cot, especially when the sun is shining.