Software
Houzz Logo Print
frankielynnsie

Is there something you can spread in your yard to KILL slugs?

5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

For the past 2 days we have had to check our yorky's stomach and pajama legs for slugs every time she goes outside. 4 Slugs have been trapped in her fur--yuck, shudder, they are gross. She is not going thru high grass but they are coming from her short trips in the yard. I don't think we have had a long enough period of cold to kill the aggrivating bugs in the yard. If we already have little slugs everywhere I worry for the hosta this year. I gave her a stomach and leg haircut today to hopefully prevent this.



Comments (8)

  • 5 years ago

    I am looking for something non toxic. Sluggo says it is but the comments say that it can be harmful for small mammals/birds. If there is nothing better I could put it under some cardboard to keep the birds from eatting it. I have read about the vinegar used for this but hope there is something I can spray the yard with.

  • 5 years ago

    remind us where you are ...


    id probably get a pump tank.. and just go out at dusk.. and spray with 10% vinegar or ammonia ... and just keep doing it until i reduced the bat-turd population significantly.. which mean thru about sept 15th.. or so .... lol ..


    remember its a contact kill ... no use just spraying it willy nilly all over the place ...


    if you had done this late last fall... and killed half the mommas ... then you would probably have half the babes now ... eh ... it really is a year round battle ...


    and may as well go after the daddys.. since they are ac/dc anyway.... whats that all about ...


    i bet you are pnw????


    ken





  • 5 years ago

    North West Georgia. We have had a wierd winter. Long coldish spells but not the hard freezes for 3 or 4 days like we need to kill the bad bugs. Never have had too many slugs before but this looks like it is going to be "the year of the slug".

  • 5 years ago

    Garden sprayer filled with 9 to 1 mix of water and ammonia.....done.

  • 5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

    I agree with Ken ..... fall of 2019 after cutting back my hostas, I treated all the plants with The 10% ammonia or vinegar solution. Then as soon as the pips started popping up, I do the entire treatment again the following spring. It made a significant difference. I only needed occasional treatment. Some plants are just slug prone. What plants are your dog laying on/near?

    debra


    p.s. She is absolutely darling!

  • 5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

    in my ground freeze MI ... there is no impact on slugs ... they just thaw in spring.. like the soil ..

    they arent those kind of bugs.. and in fact.. they probably arent bugs ... but thats a different episode ...

    pnw.. GA... whats the diff ... lol ... probably.. in the pnw.. they are as big as bananas .. hope you have the smaller ones ...


    https://duckduckgo.com/?t=ffnt&q=banana+slugs&iax=images&ia=images


    ken

  • 5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

    I hope the treatment of the yard works. I must say I have a mostly outdoor friendly cat who’s longhair. He loves to lay in some of the sedum ground cover at one spot in the garden. I have also pulled a slug or two off of him. They don’t do any harm that I am aware of, they love hostas though. If you want to check your yard for where they might be, either all over or in specific areas, go out at night with a flashlight, you’ll be able to see them. Yuck! I pick them off and put them soapy water. It gives me get satisfaction to kill them! lol

    I commend you for your dedication to rescue a dog and to give her a loving home.

    debra