Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
papnnana

Does anyone grow Amorphous Konjak?

papnnana
3 years ago

Does anyone here grow Amorphalus Konjak? Mine was dormant, and I think it got too warm, because the shoot started to grow, so I potted it up. It's about 5 inches across, don't know if it will bloom or not. What do you think? Dena, (Arum)

Comments (8)

• iochroma
    3 years ago

Tubers about 5" across are not usually big enough to flower.

If it's growing now in the winter, it may be screwed up for the next year or two.

Try to give it the best growing conditions you can this spring and summer. When you find it going dormant store the tuber in a cool dry place out of light.

They are pretty sturdy for an Amorphophallus, and can recover from all sorts of setbacks.

• Phoenix Rising (Zone 7a/b, NJ)
    3 years ago

omg, I love this species.

Every year, I forget about it (as the bulbs/corms?) overwinter im my garage and then I find all summer growing in various plants.

• robert567
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

I have kept some Konjac in my basement the last couple winters, and they always start to grow about now, and the bigger ones bloom in my basement in March. 5" might be close to blooming, wait and see. Keeping totally dark may help slow it down.

It doesn't seem to hurt it if it blooms early out of soil. I have not had a Konjac produce a green leaf early out of soil.

Konjac can grow outside in ground in my area in theory, but for me all I've got so far is a big cluster of plants massed together in which the biggest tubers rot before they could bloom.

Bigger one last year, just placed in an empty pot so it wouldn't fall over.

Is the 'Nightstick' to the right below.

• papnnana
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Iochroma, thanks for the comment,hope it's not messed up.

Phoenix,I don't have a spot cool enough. Robert, I hope it blooms,yours looks great!😁👍

• robert567
    3 years ago

Hope it blooms... makes the room smell like a gas leak.

• papnnana
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I had a giant one time, the odor was awful,but it was wonderful!😁

• woodnative
    3 years ago

Seems small for a bloom. Fun plant. Note these always have a little stem where the new growth (flower or leaf) will emerge. I assume you see that elongating. I can't always figure out what triggers these into growth........sometimes they start early (and flowers usually DO start early)......but I have also had them just sit there (even outside, in summer in NJ) and do nothing until late July. Fun plants anyway

• robert567
    3 years ago

I had two Konjacs flower inside this last week, one under 5" wide and a much smaller one. They seem to like to flower in the back of the basement. Silver yardstick and yellow 12" measure. Can flower spikes survive any frost?

Sponsored
We believe that great design should be accessible to everyone