Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lisainkc

What to do with a dormer window

lisainkc
3 years ago

We are building a house and our architect added a dormer window for visual effect in an unfinished attic. Is it normal to put a window treatment on the window? What about lighting? Our house is going to be a ranch with a basement but we won’t be using the attic.

Comments (21)

• JJ
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

This gets asked all the time.

1. Dont fake it. Oh, its done already...

2. Paint it black. On the inside.

3. Hang a blackout curtain behind it.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    3 years ago

If it's a ranch I would have opted for clerestory windows in a vaulted ceiling instead of a dormer in an attic. This would provide more light and no added heat load to your home..

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    3 years ago

This is the curtain I recommend:

• PRO
    Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
    3 years ago

If you're not going to use the attic, then I see no reason for a window treatment. Just leave it be, but if you ever finish the attic choose a window treatment for your needs: light control, privacy, decor, etc.

• PRO
    Charles Ross Homes
    3 years ago

We typically paint the dormer cheek walls black on the interior so you can't tell the dormer is in an unfinished attic space.

• lisainkc
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you for your suggestions. I just searched faux dormers on this site and discovered there are a lot of strong opinions on the subject.

• PRO
    GN Builders L.L.C
    3 years ago

Tint the windows with 35%-50% film you get privacy and heat reflection at the same time. $10-13 a roll. We have been doing that all the time in these cases. Just wet the glass and apply the tint, use a blade to trim the edges, and squeegee to get the air out (takes less than 5 min) the same way you do phone screens.

Even painted side walls you can see it when the sun hits it especially on the one-story house with 3 windows, you will see the entire attic, it will look like crap.

When finishing the attic, you peel the paper off.

Good luck

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    3 years ago

Be sure not to create a space that will build up heat and break the glass.

• PRO
    Charles Ross Homes
    3 years ago

Standard window glass is good to about 250 F. Even here in the southern U.S. attic temps should top out around 160 F on a hot summer day. I can't comment on freezing problems, thankfully.

• fraker
    3 years ago

I recently bought a house with two dormer windows in the attic. The previous owner/builder wallpapered the inside walls of the dormer, hung a piece of black fabric from the top to the bottom of the opening, behind the wallpapered section, and placed a small lamp in each of the windows. The lamps and front entry lighting are on a switch which comes on from dusk to dawn. I think it looks great!

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    3 years ago

I need to see the plan but usually a black piece in a fake window maybe you don’t need such a big attic space in your plan.

• chispa
    3 years ago

I drive by a newer house that you can see all the trusses up in the attic through the dormer window. Makes the house look cheap.

• lisainkc
    Original Author
    3 years ago

This might be crazy but what about frosting the window?

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    3 years ago

Not crazy, just not as fun.

• lisainkc
    Original Author
    3 years ago

:)

• Bette P
    3 years ago

I visited a friend who had two false dormers, the one above the living room was similar to a skylight. It was pretty neat! Similar idea to this photo, but she had a flat ceiling, not vaulted.

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

A "false" dormer opens to an attic space (or other confined space) and can not be experienced from any other space within the house.

• PRO
    Charles Ross Homes
    3 years ago

@Mark Bischak,

I guess it's false to call it a false dormer....

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    3 years ago

Either one can utilize my curtain.

• lisainkc
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Which is what we should have done! We also saw a house on the Parade of Homes that actually cut that section out of their ceiling kind of like you would do for a skylight. Also, too late for us.

Sponsored
A.I.S. Renovations Ltd.
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County