Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
noahlang813

Help! Tricky living room layout

N L
3 years ago

I want to start over with this living room. There’s no fireplace, but I want a TV. How should I lay out furniture in this space? Where could a TV go?

Comments (13)

• PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    3 years ago

It depends. Need photos of all 4 walls please.

What type of furniture are you willing to put in there? The current sectional is very large for the space.

• N L
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks! I can’t get more photos right now because I don’t own the house yet. Am very flexible on what kind of furniture.

There are doors to the left of the tv identical to the ones on the right. And the other mini-wall that isn’t pictured is a closet with a door on the living room side. Hope that helps.

• PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Yes. That helps a lot!

This would be my preferred layout.

tv where they have it now. Sofa facing (like they have it but not a sectional). You could then float a couple of chairs across from the sofa. They would sit out from the tv and away from the doors, so as not to block. Not sure how much these doors are used?

There are other options, but I really think this one is ideal

• msjoan
    3 years ago

How about a side table a little taller and wider than the register acting as a surround for the register and the tv above that. Or a real register surround, for that matter. A sofa across from that with chairs on either side, placed similar to the one in your photo. End tables on either side of the sofa. Coffee table, lamps, rug, wall decor and so forth.

• njmomma
    3 years ago

I would leave the tv where it is now. Place sofa facing it. Two chairs on far end in front of window. One chair, where there is one now. Nothing blocking glass doors.

Make sure your tv is placed on a mount that can swivel out for better viewing, when needed.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    3 years ago

I lowered your TV. You might want to float a shelf below it.

In case you decide to keep your furniture, you could easily change the appearance of the room by selecting the correct sized rug with more color & selecting new accessories and art for the room.

• N L
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks!! This furniture isn’t mine; it belongs to the current owners. I agree about lowering the tv, and I think a shelf might be good. And I have a rug similar to the one in the last pic. It’s about 10x13 and I’m hoping it’ll be big enough.

Will it look bad if the tv is bigger and blocks the doors a little?

• PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    3 years ago

No. It will not look good if the tv blocks the doors a little.

Are you sure the tv is wider than the space between the doors or guessing?

Please tell me about the doors. Will you be using them a lot?

What is the view out the doors? Important to you?

• N L
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@CDR Design, LLC - Thanks so much.

The doors: I will hardly ever use them. They open up to the front porch.

The view: Not important. Looks out onto the front porch, yard and street.

The TV: I haven't moved in yet so I could get a TV that fits. Distance between doors is approx 42 inches.

• PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    3 years ago

Okay. There is an option to put the tv on the large wall, but I don't recommend that. Most people do not like their back to an exterior door, even if it is not often used.

• njmomma
    3 years ago

Well if the doors are not used and the views are not important, add drapes or sheers to the glass doors, put a console in front of the doors, put your tv on top.

Add sofa across from tv. Add two chairs by window and a chair to the other side.

• N L
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@CDR Design, LLC, @njmomma - Thanks! I'm reluctant to cover the doors with drapes because the room will be very dark if I do. Also reluctant to put TV on large wall because I agree that back to the door is unsettling somehow. I think the best option is to go with what @BeverlyFLADeziner suggested. The TV is a little awkward between the doors but it's really the best way to go.

• PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    3 years ago

Yes. TV between the doors is the best place.