Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_918717860

What to plant where tree was?

Hi. We lost our gorgeous flowering pear tree in the derecho last summer (Iowa, zone 5) and I have learned it’s not as simple as replanting a new one where old one was. now we are left with this awful hump/burm after tree removed and stump ground. I’m afraid that planting too far back from here would look “off”. Any ideas? we are a corner lot and that tree was a visual focal point.

Comments (12)

• Embothrium
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

The shot from the house side makes it look like you could plant another tree just this side of where the pear was and it would fit.

• laceyvail 6A, WV
    3 years ago

PLEASE plant a tree other than the pear. They self destruct pretty much regularly just as yours did. There are far, far better choices.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    3 years ago

you cant plant in the exact spot... move over a few feet and try to dig a hole.. when you are able to dig a hole... you will now where to plant ...

ken

• arbordave (SE MI)
    3 years ago

You can actually plant in the same spot - you just have to make sure the old stump is ground out completely, and replace the wood chips with soil as Christopher said. We do this all the time with street trees. Typically the stump grinding company won't grind out nearly enough unless you specify what you want beforehand. Also, you should have the utilities marked before grinding & replacing.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    3 years ago

now we are left with this awful hump/burm after tree removed and stump ground.

===>>>

she already had it ground.. and they made a mess of it .. wonder if they would come back and finish the job...

regardless.... that was not the best spot.. its just the spot you are used to.. a little this way of that.. isnt any different ... except compared to the prior site ...

keep in mind.. on a corner.. you need to insure traffic sight line clearance.. so you will have to do some pruning over the years.. to raise the canopy for safety ... its no big deal.. just your responsibility ...

anything but a pear ... please

ken

• Embothrium
    3 years ago

Your photos show the hump was produced while the pear was present. To get rid of it now, level the lawn back out the area will have to have the unwanted soil removed.

• User
    3 years ago

I'm actually surprised that a thread with a title of 'What to plant where a tree was?' that no one made any suggestions on types of trees to replace the original.

:-?

• Embothrium
    3 years ago

Despite wording of title not where the emphasis was placed in the original query.

• User
    3 years ago

Ya, It did sound like the OA was going to replace the tree with the same kind, now that I read it again.

Thanks!

• PRO
    Dhi4u
    last year

It is rightly said that it is very difficult to plant a new tree in place of the old tree, but it is done, now you should take a good look at the new tree there so that it becomes like before.

• krnuttle
    last year

When you are considering trees to plant in that area, you may consider a Chinese Pistache (Pistacia chinensis). While it is not a flowering tree like a pear or apple, and it does have small spring flowers, it is spectacular in the fall. The zones it grows in covers most of the US south of the Great lakes.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pistacia_chinensis

If I had the room, or if current tree dies we will probably plant one in our yard.

As for where, the corner locations is great, but you must avoid the old tree, and set it back far enough not to obstruct traffic.

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH