Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_349408082

HELP! White subway tile backsplash in kitchen - I know, again!

Holly Gardens
3 years ago

Hi everyone,

We're just about to have our current backsplash ripped out and replaced with a white subway tile.

I'm not sure if I should choose matte white with a warm grey grout or a gloss white?

Also, would you suggest trying to match the tone of the white in my cabinets and counters? I'll attach a current pic of my kitchen (blue backsplash is coming out). My decor is kind of a mix between coastal and rustic with lots of whites and neutrals throughout.

Thank you for any help! And pics if you have them.

Who would think picking whites would be so hard.

Comments (40)

• Holly Gardens
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Chessie, I'm not telling my husband you said that! haha. I'm more traditional and the blue is killing me lol.

It really doesn't tie into the rest of my decor and my main floor is totally open concept as well.

• User
    3 years ago

I like your current one too, but I can see why you would want something more neutral. i would try to match the tone of the warm white cabinet in both the tile and grout. If you go too bright on the subway tile, your cabinets will look yellow. I personally prefer a little gloss but either would work.

Holly Gardens thanked User
  • plf12652
    3 years ago

Do you have undercabinet lights? If so, turn them on and snap another picture. You will never match the white in your cabinets so IMO you want something with a bit of contrast but still neutral. Maybe the grey family to coordinate with your countertops might work....

Holly Gardens thanked plf12652
  • wiscokid
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

First off, the blue is gorgeous and looks great (and seems traditional to me, but...)

However, I think you're going to find it very hard to get a white/cream tile that looks good with both the cabinets and your counters. Your cabinets look warm, whereas your counters look cool. Have you considered changing out the pulls?

• herbflavor
    3 years ago

I’d keep the pulls / they are a feature. two tile picks: on board left of stove the top tile. On board right of stove the tile second from top. Just get some color w floor mats and countertop things . It’ll be fine . A classic look : you are removing a feature tile so stay classic and simple and unify the look ... no need to second guess. I wouldn’t even contrast the grout ... but feel free to get a shade a bit deeper than the super lightest.

Holly Gardens thanked herbflavor
  • urchinsushi
    3 years ago

If you are removing the tile and replacing - I love the middle one under the fan, there’s a subtle shade of pink that would look lovely in your kitchen. :)
    Bonus - pink shades, not only being mood boosting and room brightening, are wonderful for your complexion :)

Holly Gardens thanked urchinsushi
  • eld6161
    3 years ago

Dark backsplashes have a tendency to become black holes. I think that is what is happening here.

I agree with plf. if you go lighter, a light gray tile will be the easiest transition.

I am assuming your counters are all the same. The counters look different that the island in the photo.

Holly Gardens thanked eld6161
  • newkitchenny55
    3 years ago

I think grey to play off the counter. I really like that picket tile on the left. Europa. Who makes it?

Holly Gardens thanked newkitchenny55
  • lucky998877
    3 years ago

Before you go through with this, cover up your current dark backsplash with white craft paper...all of it...and see what it does to your space. You might find it very blah, lacking dimension...but also, you might love it. Since your change is so drastic, I would make sure that you and husband see the option before ripping out a perfectly good backsplash.

• Holly Gardens
    Original Author
    3 years ago

lucky998877 that's a great idea! We had white backsplash in our last house but our cabs were a stark white so I'm having trouble with the warm tones of these.

The blue is very dark and definitely sucks your full attention into it. I tried a grey (very light) and unfortunately it just plays too cool off the blue in the island. The countertops are all the same but definitely a little cooler than the cabs. Not much though.

The two tiles mentioned by herbflavor and newkitchenny55 are the ones I was really considering! I really tend to lean to neutrals and layering warm tones. Then I add textures and warm accents. I'm pretty boring but I never get sick of it! I didn't pick the island or backsplash in this house.

Urchinsushi I have a lovely pink toned runner currently that I love!!

• Holly Gardens
    Original Author
    3 years ago

newkitchenny55 let me see if I can find that info for you. I gave the design store their sample panel back but I have more photos of it I think.

• Holly Gardens
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I should also mention the room gets a lot of south facing sun (indirect as we lean a touch west) but the colours in here change almost by the minute. Kinda driving me crazy. lol.

• User
    3 years ago

2nd one down on the left is my favorite. I love the texture

• er612
    3 years ago

If you're wanting white, I would stick to the top samples and match the counters. You should try a site like https://www.tilebar.com to visualize different options. Do you have room for counter stools? If so, navy barstools would look fantastic with your existing tile!

Holly Gardens thanked er612
  • Holly Gardens
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you er612! I'll check that site out. We have a coastal farmhouse vibe through the house so we currently have warm wood/rattan style stools.

You're bang on though as that was what the previous owners had! Their style was a bit industrial and they loved contrasting colours. I'm more basic with my colours and like textures and warm tones. :). Boring, I know.

• jolmstead14
    3 years ago

You cant go wrong with subway tile, Always a classic. Looking at your new kitchen as a whole I would definitely choose the brighter white with a gloss finish. It will both balance and compliment your beautiful large stone island. Also brighten your workspace and pop your stainless stove and overhead hood.

Holly Gardens thanked jolmstead14
  • User
    3 years ago

I think the island color goes better with your style the previous owners’. When you take out the backsplash it will all coordinate much better. When I first said I liked the backsplash, I did not see your island color. I can see why you are changing it now.

• Holly Gardens
    Original Author
    3 years ago

jolmstead14 thank you! I have black hardware and pot filler above the stove. I'm contemplating a slight texture to the tile to add some oomph. With a light but contrasting grout to pull in the countertops.

I'd like to get my hands on the person who decided there needs to be 7 million different white shades. lol

• dan1888
    3 years ago

My vote goes to the matte two tiles at the top left. I'd likely get some samples and place them in contact with the counter and look for a grout that blends for a more uniform affect. I'm leaning towards the lower of the two to add movement.

Holly Gardens thanked dan1888
  • Jay Inhoff
    3 years ago

Holly gardens, Just an idea-- If u don’t already have under cabinet lighting, get some from Home Depot and install them. You will appreciate it when u are cooking and it will add some dimension if u go with white tile. You can choose warmer or cooler shades of LED now. Then see how your white tile looks before purchase and installation.

In any case, white tile will have little contrast with your cabs unless you pick a distinctive style. I love Tile Bar for ideas. They can take an ordinary concept to the next level.

good luck.

Holly Gardens thanked Jay Inhoff
  • Holly Gardens
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you Jay Inhoff, I do have undermount. It's nice a warm and I plan to have a bit of texture on the tile. Now to pick the grout!

• thinkdesignlive
    3 years ago

Any chance you can match your countertop and do a slab backsplash? It would be one less competing white as I see that as the major obstacle for your current counters (cool) and cabinets (warm).

Holly Gardens thanked thinkdesignlive
  • jolmstead14
    3 years ago

LOL. I think one thing all can agree on is the world of whites can be confusing. Your black handles and pot filler will connect the darks on your counter slabs. I think your instinct is right to have some movement in the tile. You have a long run of cabinets and movement will add texture without introducing another color etc. Since I just saw your post today not sure if you are keeping the lighter blue on your island?

• Holly Gardens
    Original Author
    3 years ago

thinkdesignlive it's a bit over my budget, unfortunately. I love that look!

• Holly Gardens
    Original Author
    3 years ago

jolmstead14, yes we are keeping the blue. It's not my first choice but changing it is a big job and it can't be painted nicely.

It's a warm grey/blue which has actually grown on me. I'm adding a lot of warm wood decor to the kitchen and changing out the hardware for something slimmer. Still black but these are a bit chunky for my taste.

• Chessie
    3 years ago

Holly Gardens - use a visualizer, like this one.

https://www.roomvo.com/my/msi/rooms/073ddbd1ab9644e79cf601f80fc6d801?product_type=5&multi_product_visualizer=1

You can upload a pic of your kitchen and then try out different colors/patterns. There are many visualizers online - that is just one of them. I found them to be very helpful when I was picking out my own backsplash.

Holly Gardens thanked Chessie
  • Holly Gardens
    Original Author
    3 years ago

That's awesome. Thank you Chessie!

Thanks to all for the help and suggestions. Will post a pic once it's completed.

• jolmstead14
    3 years ago

Since you are keeping the blue island cabinet then for sure the white tile with a movement will add a reflective quality and simplify. Keep your kitchen in neutrals except for the blue on your island. the dark accents in your floor and the veining of your surfaces with the black hardware will unify. Your overall warm cabinet tone will be softened but still contrast with the white tile and pull out the warmth in the island color. Enjoy your new kitchen with whatever you decide to do.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    3 years ago

how about something besides a white subway tile??

This Ann Sacks blue tile comes in a darker blue or lighter blue. it's beautiful.

Tried a photoshop w/your blue island

bring in some of those loom counter stools, and it would look great! (these come in other colors besides blue)

or, what if you did a white or robins egg blue Zellige tile?

with the natural loom chair it's very pretty

Bedrosians has these really cool matte type of ceramic tiles. all colors

Doing a stacked layout (either direction) looks nice.

here is a shot w/the similar shaped elongated pickets like you have. I think these are a thinner size

Encore Ceramics, Bali color in a herringbone. these are avail on a quick ship and would look great w/your island color

Tilebar Nabi Harlequin in Natural White. they have other colors and shapes

Fireclay tile, star and cross.

if you don't have a runner similar to this, you should get one. it makes the space!

similar blue color island, 2x10 white subway tile in a herringbone with medium gray grout

Holly Gardens thanked Beth H. :
  • Holly Gardens
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Oh my, Beth you angel!! Thank you for this. So many options I didn’t even consider. The last one is amazing!!

THANK YOU!

• Holly Gardens
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you Jolmstesd14. This was my first time posting in here. Such a great response!

• barncatz
    3 years ago

I'm thinking about ripping out my BS to use one of these from Winchester Tiles. JK, but how adorable are these? Would someone please use? Click on bath photo to see how pattern translates into texture at a distance.

Winchester has other patterns in this French Blue colorway, as well. Sigh. https://www.winchestertiles.com/details?product=W.2104

Closeup of pattern

Cutie square tiles!! Different colorway.

Holly Gardens thanked barncatz
  • Holly Gardens
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Barncatz, so pretty!

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    3 years ago

Tilebar has a similar tile called London White. The pattern is very subtle

Speaking of Winchester tiles, they carry some amazing colors in the Elements line, and in this glazed brick line.

Holly, why don't you look around on Tilebar and get some samples? you get 5 for $5. (have your other half order another 5 ;)

this is that Harlequin in the Arctic color.

this isn't from tilebar, but I love the look of it.

Heath Ceramics, Crystal Blue.

and if you don't already, look into installing some under cabinet lights.

• RedRyder
    3 years ago

Besides a textured, interesting white, you can look at warmer greys to bring out the pretty veining color in the countertop. And yes, you need to have the under mount lighting ON when you try these sample tiles. Both during the day and at night. @BethH is a treasure trove of photos and ideas.

Holly Gardens thanked RedRyder
  • bailey2050
    last year

Id love to see a picture of what you decided. I'm in same situation.

Holly Gardens thanked bailey2050
  • Holly Gardens
    Original Author
    last year

Bailey2050

i went with tile from ”Midgley West” called bisquit

its a neutral beige with a touch of grey

heres a photo of my kitchen

• theresa21
    last year

@Holly Gardens your kitchen is sooooooo beautiful!

• Vicki Boomhour Thompson
    last year

Gorgeous. Awesome choice.