Software
Houzz Logo Print
heath_koops

Mossy/Patchy Lawn Renovation

5 years ago


I’d like to renovate the side yard of my townhouse this spring. In the photo, it’s everything to the left of the red line (I‘m mulching/gardening the front because of tree roots and landscaping.)


Some background info: The yard is in Maryland and spring has not sprung yet; what’s left on the ground is tall fescue and moss; the area is about 350ft and it slopes gently toward the camera and sidewalk on the bottom right. I plan on seeding it with tall fescue. It’s a shaded area that gets several hours of morning sunlight.


Related tasks I need to accomplish: (a)minor increase in the slope alongside the brick wall as soil has been washed away.

(b)since i’m playing with topsoil anyways, smooth out the side yard from the bumps and channels from water runoff

(c)Run the downspout drainage through the front yard once it’s been mulched - it won’t affect the side yard and it’s reno.


My questions:

1.)Should I kill off the grass that’s already there and start blank? There aren’t weeds, but there was some moss that I cleared off

2.)Should I aerate the area?

3.)Since I’m putting down some top soil in spots, should I aerate before, after, at all?

4.)Do I need to rake the existing soil thats not getting new topsoil?

5.) What is the order of operations for this?


My (inexperienced) plan so far:

1.) Adjust slope and level areas with top soil

2.) Rake and loosen existing topsoil

3.) Smooth

4.) Seed and starter fertilizer

5.) Compact roller

6.) Cover with straw


Please critique!



Comments (9)

  • 5 years ago

    In the DC area, renovating a lawn is a September/October project. Grass that you seed this spring isn't likely to survive the summer. Sorry.

  • 5 years ago

    Thanks. Come fall, how would you consider my plan to go forward?

  • 5 years ago

    Ceclily's right. But using that plan in...well, late summer, sounds great.

    1) Just mind that you don't move the grade to adjust water toward the house or pavement. Seriously, you'd be surprised...

    4) You won't need starter fertilizer, but you might want to get starter fertilizer with Mesotrione. It's a pre-emergent weed killer that will keep weeds down when you seed. If you have weed issues, it'll really help. If you don't, skip the starter fertilizer completely; you almost certainly don't need it.

    6) Straw tends to carry weed seeds, even the "seedless" stuff. I tend to recommend either compost or peat moss instead, up to about 1/4" inch. Both also work into your soil and improve it, and neither need to be removed afterward. They're also more attractive (usually black and brown, respectively). For that small area, you won't need that much.


    I'd actually set it for Labor Day weekend in your area, or the weekend after. Yes, it's early. It's still hot. That's the point. The seed will germinate faster, grow faster in the heat, and get a few weeks of warm weather to develop before the cool hits (and evenings will still be cooler even then). Then it has all of fall to develop root systems. Your "winter" (which tends to be pretty mild, as mine does--this year being odd) isn't too hard to survive.

    October can present some challenges as it's a bit late for planting. Fescue and rye do fine, but bluegrasses in mixed seeds struggle.


    For this spring and summer, I'd either ignore that as best you can, or practice proper care. Water rarely and deeply, and feed on Memorial Day when you should. You'd normally feed again on Labor Day, but that will be close to the renovation.

    That area is close to a tree, so it'll always struggle a little bit.

    steve little thanked User
  • 5 years ago

    Thanks! Would aerating be necessary?If so, before or after topsoil/slope adjustments?

  • 5 years ago

    While you sure can if you want to, it's usually overkill and not necessary. I don't usually recommend it for most soils, unless they were compacted by having trucks or other heavy things (like ditch installation equipment for irrigation systems) run over them. Then yes, absolutely, aerate it heavily, several times, back and forth.

    Save the time and the money, you're going to be tired enough from just this!

  • 5 years ago

    Then by all means, reward yourself by being "lazy." Don't bother, the grass seed doesn't care. Covering it with peat or compost will be more than enough and, even if you don't bother with that, it'll sprout. This is not touchy stuff.

  • 5 years ago

    well, I couldn’t wait for fall!

    March:

    June:


  • 5 years ago

    It's lovely, Steve. Nice work. Now the heat's setting in so watering enough this summer is your next challenge. What height is your mower deck set for?