Software
Houzz Logo Print
katherinerichards

Help with kitchen backsplash & hardware

Hi! I'm looking for some help in choosing my kitchen backsplash.


I have a traditional/transitional home with a touch of craftsman. I have a galley kitchen, which will have white shaker cabinets, a white-lux quartzite countertop, a polished-nickel traditional faucet, a pair of brass sconces above my large rectangular stainless sink with a brass chandelier over my kitchen table, with stainless appliances. My floors are traditional wide-plank European white oak. My adjacent walls will be accessible beige.


I have narrowed my backsplash down to 3 choices. Attached are pictures of my white-lux counter with the backsplash. The small subway tiles will be placed horizontally, not vertically.


Please share your thoughts on the chevron vs. small subway, or a more traditional subway as my 3rd option.


If you could also share your thoughts on hardware for the cabinets. I'm trying to decide between polished-nickel (to match my faucet) OR brass (to match my sconces and chandelier over my kitchen table).


Thank you!





Comments (15)

  • PRO
    5 years ago

    Love your choices! Think the chevron is so close to the countertop that it would blend in a get lost. Like the other option.

    katherinerichards thanked Inside Out Staging and Design
  • PRO
    5 years ago

    Both of those backsplash tiles look very formal to me, so if that's the look you want, then either would work, but I prefer the rectangle with the small mosaics. If you want a more casual look, then a plain porcelain or ceramic tile would work better, maybe in a color?

    As for hardware, if the brass is unlaquered, it will oxidize and turn darker, so is that what you want? Or is it polished, which again gives a more formal look. Polished nickel is also a "living" finish, but doesn't oxidize as badly as brass.

    katherinerichards thanked Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
  • 5 years ago

    I have a polished nickel faucet, (PN is warm tone) and brushed brass cabinet handles. I have brass light fixtures.

    katherinerichards thanked typeandrun
  • 5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

    I can't tell if your countertop is polished or leathered. I am going with a completely different tile choice for our leathered taj mahal.

    https://www.msisurfaces.com/kenzzi/leira/

    https://www.msisurfaces.com/porcelain-collection/kenzzi/


    katherinerichards thanked typeandrun
  • 5 years ago

    Counter top is polished. Thank you all for your help. I do think the chevron is beautiful, but perhaps a bit too opulent for the style i am going for. Also, Do you think the small-subway will be too busy looking? I personally find it to be softer, yet still very pretty.

  • PRO
    5 years ago

    Chevron and brass!!

  • 5 years ago

    I like the chevron better. It has pattern and texture but doesn't scream "Look at me!"

    And if you are concerned about boring, remember you will have lots of things on your counter with colors and shapes.

    You have bowls of fruits and vegetables in all colors ripening, brown cutting board, a maybe a knife block or a crock of utensils, a colored pot holder or dish towel or floor mat in front of the sink, and your dishes, and tea pot.

    I can't comment on the handles because I can't see them.

    I like subtlety, but most importantly, pick what will feel comfortable in your hand scores of times a day. And what is ergonomic too. Even when you get a little arthritis.

  • 5 years ago

    I like the smaller tile, not the chevron. It seems too close to the look of the counter. I like a little more space that you’ll have with the small subway. That countertop is lovely.

    katherinerichards thanked J Pru
  • PRO
    5 years ago

    Both choices are beautiful. Do you have an option if waiting until everything else is out together to decide?

    This helps you see the full picture and you can tape a few to to make the final decision.

    katherinerichards thanked Lisa Caudill Designs
  • 5 years ago

    Love both, I would do the chevron...I like a little movement with lots of straight lines in the cabinets. Get samples of both hardware finishes and wait until your kitchen is almost done. Brass if it needs...something...polished nickel is "something" has been achieved ;) I have polished nickel on my white cabinets, love it so much.

    katherinerichards thanked lucky998877
  • 5 years ago

    Hi! I love your countertop and your idea of doing your kitchen. It will definitely be beautiful when it is done. I think you should wait until you get the counters and cabinets in before you decide on hardware and the backsplash. Hold samples up and live with it for a few days. You will be happy when you can accurately evaluate it. Cant wait to see the final product!

    katherinerichards thanked Kim Forsythe
  • 5 years ago

    Love your countertop! I like both bs choices but like the chevron more. I would wait till it’s all in to make a final decision. What white are your cabinets going to be?

    katherinerichards thanked Becky H
  • 5 years ago

    I love the chevron! Would you post a finished pic of the cabinets/hardware and countertops. I am also looking at a slab of white lux

  • 5 years ago

    Have you completed your kitchen? Curious as to the decision made on the backsplash.