Choosing between peach trees

Jason, zone 7A, near Greensboro NC
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

My local nursery has 3 peach trees on hand:

Elberta

GA Belle

Redhaven

Any pros or cons from one to the other? These would be in my front yard, along with two Granny Smith apples, an edible chestnut (Castanea genus)*, and maybe a Pawnee Pecan (as recommended by gardengal48, and so far I'm loving if I can find them). They would be on the Western side of a Jason-made goldfish pond, but probably 75-100 feet to the West of it (with edible and decorative shrubs and flowers between them and the pond).

I was thinking about 1 of each, unless I need 2 each for pollination?

* I originally included Red Horse Chestnut because my local nursery has them, but I didn't realize that they're not edible! So strike that, I'm on the hunt for good, edible chestnuts

Comments (11)

• Embothrium
    3 years ago

Peaches

Recommended Varieties

Candor, Redhaven, Norman, Carolina Belle (white-fleshed), Winblo, Contender, Summer Pearl (white-fleshed), China Pearl (white-fleshed), Cresthaven, Carolina Gold, Flame Prince
    (Many varieties are the result of a peach breeding program at NC State University and have been developed for North Carolina)

North Carolina Production Guide for Smaller Orchard Plantings | NC State Extension Publications (ncsu.edu)

• Jason, zone 7A, near Greensboro NC
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Yeah, I'd seen that before, too. The local nursery wouldn't sell anything that doesn't grow well in my area, of course... the ones they have are 5-6' tall, so they've survived at LEAST a couple of winters.

The concern I have is less to do with that, and more to do with things I wouldn't immediately know; eg, attracts undesirable pests like fire ants, roots grow above the surface, roots extend way beyond the limbs, things like that.

And, of course, I'm clueless when it comes to pollination, so would these 3 pollinate well together if I had 1 of each?

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    3 years ago

The local nursery wouldn't sell anything that doesn't grow well in my area, of course... the ones they have are 5-6' tall, so they've survived at LEAST a couple of winters.

==>>> they dont ship in new stock every spring???

peaches do just fine up here in my MI ... im surprised you think a z7 winter is a big deal ... but im not up to speed on variations on the theme ...

ken

• rayrose SC 8
    3 years ago

Peaches don't need cross pollination. They're self fruitful.

Original Author
    3 years ago

they dont ship in new stock every spring???

@ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5 , I don't know the ins and outs of the place, just what the owner and employees have told me in passing. As far as I know, though, they have a separate nursery and farm where they grow the majority of what they sell in the public store that I visit.

peaches do just fine up here in my MI ... im surprised you think a z7 winter is a big deal ... but im not up to speed on variations on the theme ...

Well, again, you have to overlook my ignorance on this one :-) I know that I've had a few ornamental trees in the past that struggled through the winters the first couple of years, though, which is why I mentioned it.

I'm in the foothills close to Boone, so our winters are kinda weird. We're technically on the same sea level as Greensboro, but we're close enough to Boone that we get snow and arctic winds when Greensboro is warm! A few years ago we had about 12" of snow, and the next day I was shoveling snow wearing nothing but boxers and flip flops! LOL

Last year, we had frost on May 15 :-O

But either way, I'm not terribly concerned with that, I'm more concerned with any pitfalls I might have from picking one cultivar over another. I need to make all of my selections correctly the first time, because if I mess up then I won't know it for several years!

• garybeaumont_gw
    3 years ago

Harvest dates are important. You want the harvest to be spread out so the peaches do not come off at the same time.

Redhaven is probably one of the most recommended varieties, if you have the chill hours, which should not be a problem for you. But planting one of each is a good idea.

2 trees of the same variety will not cross pollinate, since they are basically the same tree on 2 different rootstock. A peach tree will set more fruit with another variety, but usually having only one variety will set enough fruit.

And peaches can take a light frost without losing the small fruit. They tend to be air pollinated so even if the flower early before bees are out they will still set fruit. A hard freeze of course can kill both blossoms and fruit.

Jason, zone 7A, near Greensboro NC thanked garybeaumont_gw
    Original Author
    3 years ago

2 trees of the same variety will not cross pollinate, since they are basically the same tree on 2 different rootstock

Slight tangent here, @garybeaumont_gw, but is the same true of Granny Smith apples? Do I need two different types of apple trees so that the Granny Smith will pollinate well? I've had dozens of types of apples and Grannies are by far my favorite, so it seems like a bit of a waste to have something that I won't enjoy... but I don't want to have inferior apple quality, or a much lower quantity than I would otherwise be able to get.

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    3 years ago

If one searches on Granny Smith pollinator you find scores of possibilities.

tj

• mxk3 z5b_MI
    3 years ago

Actually, it's not that uncommon for peaches to get damaged from late cold snaps up here in MI; I don't find them easy to grow well in my area, and gummosis and diseases like peach leaf curl can really be a PITA. Fresh off the tree peaches and nectarines are worth the effort, though -- so I keep trying :0). I have Elberta and Redhaven, which are known to do well in my Zone 5b area.

• corkball (z9 FL)
    3 years ago

I have less hassle with bugs with early fruiting varieties, but then I am in zone 9.

PS: make sure to plant a second chestnut, as they are NOT self-fruitful... you will just get empty husks. And if you want a horsechestnut/buckeye for eye-splash, try a red buckeye... they are one of the smallest buckeyes with attractive red flowers and fall color. They are NOT edible, but none of the aesculus are (well, I think there is a way to prepare them, but it is a PITA and if you do it wrong you get sick).