Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_224590036

Newbie questions !

HU-224590036
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

First time flower gardener here! im sure you’ll scoff at my qs but it’s my first time, help a girl out!

moving plants: is it inadvisable to move plants after they’re in the ground - say, if I change my mind or misread the label and put a shade plant in the sun or vice versa? What if it’s only been planted a day or two? What if it’s a years- old perennial that’s just coming up now?

old perennials: we inherited some that are prob 7+ years old. Many don’t have many blooms (flag iris) and some don’t bloom at all in some years (peony). Is there a certain point at which old plants should be discarded?

spacing; I like the look of cottage -style gardens and notice that the plants are plentiful and close together. Can flowers be planted close together ? my only experience is with veggies, and I know they can suffer when too crowded.

Thanks !!

Comments (7)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    3 years ago

welcome to the forums.. we like teaching .. so never fear to ask ...

we need to know where you are .. big city name.. zone not good enough ... IN EVERY POST ... or change your name so its included there ..

everything can be moved ... at just about any time ...

but not in the dead heat of summer ... and not when in bloom.. unless its for some other reason ...like building a deck or something ...

specific answers would be best.. posting is free ... so pic one of your plants.. start with a plant specific title .... give us a picture or two ... [not straight down] ... we can ID it.. and give you ideas on what to do with it ..

plants should never get too old .. but on the other hand.. nothing is plant and forget forever.. when they start to decline .. you should dig them up.. keep a couple of good pieces.. and get rid of junky parts ... it can be called regeneration ... or dividing ...

also.. if something like a peony is not blooming.. it could be that when it was planted 25 years ago ... it was in sun.. and now its in shade ... so we need to see if that is the case ...

learn how to grow your plants.. learn how to move them around . and then later.. worry about the form or type of garden ...

ken

• peren.all Zone 5a Ontario Canada
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Welcome! No one will (should) scoff at you. It is always good to let us know where you are, just a city name or closest to your local.

No problem moving plants that are in the wrong spot. whether it has been a couple of days or a year. As long as the ground is not soggy though.

The Iris may need to be divided.

If your peony is not blooming it could be planted too deeply. Peonies are very long lived so should not be discarded. Once we know where you are located specifics can be added.

Old plants may need dividing to rejuvenate them. You can ask us about specific ones.

Some plants do not like to be crowded but it is generally not an issue unless they are growing into one another.

Photos are always helpful. Enjoy your garden.

ETA - Ken I was typing (slowly) at the same time you posted lol.

3 years ago

lol... im sure i type slower than you ... but just to be clear.. we are not one person with two accounts so that i can agree with myself.. lol ... or vice versa ...

ken

ps: the bigger problem would be if i had 2 accts.. and disagreed with myself ... lol

• peren.all Zone 5a Ontario Canada
    3 years ago

LOL Ken. Let's just agree that great minds think alike and type slowly!

• cearbhaill (zone 6b Eastern Kentucky)
    3 years ago

I move things all the time- in my first home there were some plants we moved so many times they had frequent flyer miles on them. Here three decades later I am better at planning but do occasionally need to move things and do so at will. Just don't do it in the middle of summer and if you do then learn how to rig up temporary shade and don't be lazy about dragging the hose around.

Your Iris likely needs divided but most do this immediately after flowering. I often cut the leaf fan on the flowering plant so it's easy to identify when I divide them- get rid of those that have already bloomed and replant the young offshoots.

Peonies- I leave them alone- always heard never to bother them so I don't. I only have three- in my area all they are is a spring storm predictor- if my peonies are blooming and gorgeous I KNOW a storm is coming that night to ruin them. It's uncanny.

It's all trial and error. If a plant was recently planted it will be easy to move while others need root slayer shovels and pry bars and axes to get out of the ground. As long as you do it in the right time of year and do decent aftercare they want to live and will be fine.

3 years ago

a plant usually sinks due to improper planting.. in the first year .. as the soil settles ...

i would not think that it would sink 7 years later ...

but .. if you constantly add compost or mulch ... as it breaks down .. it can add soil height.. and as a result.. the plant can end up planted too deep ...most plants can adapt.. some need to be reset ...

ken