Wrong colored kitchen cabinets installed!

A P

I’m not sure what to do, wrong color cabinets were installed. The sample that my contractor gave me was white and the cabinets that were installed are off white. Unfortunately I threw away the sample, but I have photos. My husband insists that everything still looks good, even with the off white cabinets, but I’m having a hard time getting over this hurdle. He doesn’t want painted cabinets, and I don’t blame him, I don’t think they’ll hold up as well. I commented to my contractor when they were being delivered, but he swore this is the sample he gave, therefore the color I approved. It became very apparent yesterday, when the counters were installed, that it want the sample I was given. I wouldn’t have picked this particular counter top and or flooring with off white cabinets. So my questions are:

1. based on the photos, do you think I received the wrong colored cabinets?

2)do you think it looks good regardless of the off white cabinets? Please bare in mind not everything is installed yet, they just started on floors. I will be using deltas champagne bronze faucet with matching hardware and pendant above sink. In addition to warm medium toned wood floating shelves to the right of the sink.

1. what would you do? Keep the off white? Ask contractor to paint at his own expense? He’s not exactly taking responsibility at this point.

Charles Ross Homes

People's lifestyle needs, tastes, and budgets vary. There is value in working with design professionals to develop a design which addresses the owners' needs, reflects their preferred style, respects their budget, and which brings everything together as a cohesive whole. That's equally true of architects and interior designers. With respect to color and material choices, interior designers bring expertise in how to specify exactly the products and colors you want and to navigate the process when you don't get them. If you used the services of an interior design professional, now is the time to exercise them.

• homechef59

I agree with Joe Corlett. You don't have a leg to stand on without the sample. If you want it changed, you will have to bear the cost.

Computer colors are always different, but I think the combination in your pictures is just fine. I like the combination. Once you get all of the other elements in, hardware, lighting, wall color, furniture, it should be just fine. I think that it will be very pretty when completed.

New cabinets are wrong color

Alabaster by sherwin Williams has no yellow in it It is I think a neutral white It's not too stark and not too warm .. I have it in my home and it's deemed a favorite white amongst designers

HELP they installed the wrong color tile

Rachel, I absolutely love the black. I would do the tub skirt in either the same black, grey if you are using it elsewhere, or white. I think you will find that you do in fact have your relaxing spa bathroom. I would not do it in the floor tile as i think that is too busy. I would also pick up the colour of that amazing glass counter in towels and accessories. I think the black will give you a far more timeless result than the grey would have. And dont reglaze! You have wonderful tiles there. A reglaze will never be as good as the original finish (imo).

Jim Bishop Cabinets are wrong color - how to fix?

Jim Bishop cabinets are crap! I know I have them. Ours also came in the wrong color. The finish is a disgrace - it feels like sandpaper. Doors are misaligned and cabinets do not close. Shelves are broken... Steer clear of Jim Bishop - they are basically builder grade crap. Fancy website with nice photos but you would be better off with out of the box cabinets from Home Depot. Jim Bishops customer service is also a joke. Their attitude is they just dont care - according to them "everything is to tolerance" Well jim bishop tolerance is cabinets that are FALLING APART.

Cabinet maker painted our cabinets wrong color? NOT chantilly lace

Every single remodel I've been through there's been at least one thing that went wrong that seemed like a glaring error--like a huge pimple on the face of an otherwise beautiful project. And I vowed that I would never forget that horrendous flaw and I would always see it every time I walked in the room. But today, only a few months after my most recent remodel, I can't remember any of those flaws. I certainly don't see them when I walk into rooms. And neither do my guests. Try to keep a little perspective; I know it's hard to do so after a project that has taken so long and likely cost a boatload of cash.
  • eld6161

I wish you would have chosen your counter after you received your cabinets. Lesson learned for others.

That said, you have a lovely kitchen. Your choice of the tiles, they look like the Bedrosian Chloe, will tie in the whites and creams and make everything look intentional.

• kculbers

I think your kitchen looks beautiful ❣️I personally prefer off white versus white cabinets.
    But this is your kitchen.
    I agree that your photo of your selected cabinet color is white, and your installed cabinets are off white.
    You wanted white. Are you happy with how your countertops look with the off white cabinets?
    If not, that is a huge issue.
    You shouldn’t settle for a cabinet color you did not choose.
    Did the white cabinet color come with a number or a specific name?

• WestCoast Hopeful

I love it. And if you don’t try changing lighting and small tweaks.

• A P

Thanks for all of the posts! Wood floors would have been my preference 100% and I would have used that without hesitation, but couldn’t find an exact match the the current, cheap/old, laminate flooring we have through the rest of the house. This isn’t our forever home, so we probably won’t be redoing these floors anytime soon. We also live in Hawaii, so not everything is carried in stock, on island, and lead times can be long, which is why we chose all of our materials and purchased prior to work commencing.

• A P

I had a very hard time choosing flooring, because my ideal vision would have been with wood. I should have posted on Houzz then, but it’s a little too late to start second guessing that now!

• A P

I realize that I chose different shades of white and trying to coordinate them was challenging. Which is why one shade being off looks wrong. If I had received an off white sample I would have chosen differently.

Beth H. :

they look fine.

your lighting looks yellow. change out the bulbs to 4000K and I'd throw in 2-3 more cans in the middle. There is no light there. To me, there isn't enough lighting, and what's there is too warm.

I like the floors too. but to keep everything from appearingwashed out, bring in some warm wood shelving, or counter stools, maybe some wood cutting boards

• A P

Unfortunately this is one of many things that have gone wrong on this project. Cabinets have had to be rehung twice, due to doors/ drawers not opening. I was told I couldn’t have a corner cabinet, so we had a weird configuration in the corner that wasn’t very functional. But turns out the corner cabinet would fit, so I ate the cost of having it swapped out. The sink was supposed to be centered on the window and it’s off by couple inches. The contractor told me I could purchase 2 prefab slabs, but once his fabricator came to my house, he advised me that that wouldn’t work. Luckily the fabricators relationship with the store I purchased from allowed me to make an exchange. Also, work has been slowing down, even though we’re entering week 3 of what was supposed to be a two week project. Sorry venting! This is my first time doing any type of major remodel and boy am I learning a lot!

Beth H. :

yes, it is a stressful process. But the color doesn't appear to be that bad. how do they look during the day?

Humor me and get some 4000K bulbs.

if he won't give you 2-3 more lights in the center (you really do need them for task lighting) then wait until you're done and hire someone else to do it. it's not a big deal to piggy back off what's there to stick 2 more in the center!

what you have are focused only on the countertop area (they are very close to the upper cabs and don't spread out the light elsewhere) That's why you need a few down the center.

• A P

Thanks Beth! Yes, I have deltas champagne bronze faucet with matching hardware and some floating wood shelves. I’ve also purchased this 3x5 rug from Ruggable and some of these other accessories below.

• A P

More photos of accessories

• A P

I can change the color of the lightning on these LED cans from the actual fixture itself, I will try brightening a bit!

• A P

Rug

• A P

Day time photo

Beth H. :

yeah, still too dark. (love the accessories. look at Loom counter chairs)

you have smaller cans placed very close to the upper cabs. And the bulbs are very warm.

what light does shine, shines on the upper doors, and slightly on the countertop. that's it. Doesn't go anywhere else.

bulb temp.

maybe these pics will explain better. If you want your white paint to look whiter, use a whiter bulb.

You want a 4000K for the best, white light. can you see the diff?

you may also want to bring in some under cabinet lighting (in a daylight-4000K again) to help w/task lighting.

what is going to right of sink? cabs or open shelves? some wood shelves would look really nice, with the tile going all the way up

• everdebz

Houzz has that look some call Scandinavian. If you like dark metal finishes for lighting, ok. Or something dressy to grab the eyes.

Good your tiles have an interesting pattern!

• arcy_gw

To my way of thinking every sample has a number and that number should have been all over your order form. No way would "white/off white" do when ordering from a cabinet company that could likely have several "whites".

• everdebz

Pro Beth already posted accents of stained wood... what about wood shelves by the window, typical these days.

Mill Valley Sunny Scandinavian · More Info

• everdebz

Kitchens with hard surfaces in neutrals typical. Off the topic mostly, but encourage to think around the issue, and have pieces you like. Just idea for chalky blue/greys. Or wood.

Leavitt · More Info

Leavitt · More Info

Sundestin 1203 · More Info

Sundestin 1203 · More Info

• everdebz

What will window frames, etc. look like?

• everdebz

Their combo is warm: quartz is Sands / floor is Bleached Sand.

Paint a color?

Kitchen Remodel Damascus, MD · More Info

• A P

Yes I have wood shelves going on to the right of the sink, everything else will be tiled in berdosians Cloe up to ceiling

• bry911

If your paint sample included a name or color number then it can be verified. Losing the sample is not usually a big deal unless you had some custom matched color, even then the paint store can often verify that.

He doesn’t want painted cabinets, and I don’t blame him, I don’t think they’ll hold up as well.

You have painted cabinets...

• A P

The window will have a trim around it out in the same wood that is on the inside, we can either stain to match shelves or paint white

• A P

Bry911, I guess he means hand painted vs however they commercially paint and seal stock cabinets. My last kitchen we painted ourselves and had navy lowers and off white uppers. Although we used paint for cabinets it still chipped off. I guess that’s another option is to paint lowers in a dark color.

• A P

The cabinet company that my contractor uses has 2 options for white, pure white and off white.

Yikes, I would live with it for awhile, before deciding to get out your paint brushes. I just finished my kitchen and I was doubting all my choices and colors of white backsplash and and trim color, even though others said it was fine. Living with it a couple of weeks, I’m now happy with my choices.

• A P

I’m going to get a quote on having my lowers painted a darker color like navy. I will definitely see how it looks when it’s all done and live with it for a couple weeks before making any final decisions.

Was that the original plan to paint the lowers navy? If not, I would wait for it to be all done first.

• A P

It would have been my preference to have darker lowers, but we decided not to because of budget. It will be a win if we actually get them painted.

Tuxedo kitchens are a bit dated no? It’s your home and preference of course. Navy lowers, white uppers, so 2018/2019.,

• A P

Maybe it is dated, idk. I feel like I see kitchen posts like that all of the time on Instagram and Pinterest. It’s also nice to have dark lowers, practically speaking, as it hides everyday wear and tear that lower cabinets tend to get.

I hear ya. I had white kitchen cabinets once, and never again. I like having all my cabinets the same color. It seems more cohesive. Why not just have all of it painted one color, but not so dark. Im not sure why people still go gaga over white on white kitchens. I painted mine sage, but went really light on the walls and everything seems still fresh.

• cat_ky

Before you continue with the kitchen, change out all the light bulbs, to led 4000k daylight bulbs. The cabinets may not be as off as you think they are. Your lighting could be making them look very off white.

How about a lighter color than navy on the bottom, so it doesn’t cut off your kitchen as much. I agree, you need to see your cabinets in full daylight. if you do not get a lot of light in your kitchen, then a bulb change is in order.

• A P

I can change each LED can by pulling it down and changing the string, it’s that easy, no bulb changes. I have half of them changed and will change the other half as soon as I can reach them. I can see a difference in the areas i have already changed. My husband and I just like look and feel of warmer tones lighting, but I see the difference in my cabinet color.

• A P

Setting-^* not string

• calidesign

Your cabinets look fine, and likely the difference was the lighting. I would not try to paint them - you will never get the same hard finish that will last. You can use a dark navy runner if you want to add some color. Then wait for 10 years or so when you want to update and paint in a current color at that point.

I like my lights 2700-3000k, so I get it. I think you need other sources of light, that’s what you are missing here. Under the cabinet lighting would make a huge difference on workspace and color perspective. I only have two top cabinets and made a big difference. Here’s before and after lighting updates.

• A P

Despite all the ups and downs, the kitchen turns out lovely!

• kculbers

AP: your kitchen is beautiful!!

• A P

Thank you!

• Melissa R

LOVE your kitchen! Have you thought about painting the window frame white? I think the brown shelves look fantastic but next to the window frame my eye doesn't know what to look at.

• A P

I hadn't decided what to do with the window frame yet, but do like the warmth the wood brings since there is already so much white in the kitchen. The white looks very clean and polished too!

• calidesign

You can have a simple, flat molding installed between the top of the cabinets and the ceiling so you don't get the dark shaded line or dust collected up there. It would be a simple, inexpensive fix but have a big impact.

• A P

@calidesign The plan was to have some type of molding installed, but I guess the ceiling is pretty uneven, so he's saying it won't look right. The left portion of the cabinetry has a gap of a little over 1.5" and the right side has a little over 2". Due to that large of a variation my contractor is saying molding won't look right. Even if we we had 2 different size moldings, where they end up joining together will look off. I'm open to any suggestions on this matter and if anyone has come up with a solution.

• Melissa R

get some lauan and either a scribe or uneven contour gage, cut, paint white, install. should be fairly easy

• calidesign

To me it would be a lot less noticeable to have an uneven flat molding in the color of your cabinets than a dark uneven gap between the cabinets and ceiling. They should be able to cut the molding to fit exactly.