Software
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_204521890

bifold doors or side by side for closet

5 years ago

We need new closet doors. We have 3 closets. Two would have two doors and one would have only one door. I think the bedroom needs a bifold due to space and the location of the bed. Hallway closets probably don’t and I think it looks nicer if it isn’t bifold. Any insight? Is it just personal style? Can bifold look nice?

Comments (14)

  • PRO
    5 years ago

    I have no clue without pictures .

  • 5 years ago

    I don’t have any photos bc as of now there are no doors. I think it’s just a general question of a) can bifold doors ever be nice? All of mine have always seemed flimsy and never looked all that nice in past homes. B) what are the pros and cons?

  • 5 years ago

    Thanks. Does bi hinge mean they swing open and bypass means they slide? I’m thinking the same as you. Maybe I do hinge doors for the ones that have room and bifold only for the bedroom (the bed will be placed about 13” from the closet.....city living)

  • 5 years ago

    Bi- fold doors have their place. Get good quality and they are fine. I have them in my bedroom and it provides easy access to everything.

  • 5 years ago

    I replaced the sliding doors with bi-fold when we moved in. Sliding are the worst. I want to be able to see the whole closet.

  • PRO
    5 years ago

    Go with by-pass doors (sliding doors). They take up less space and they look nicer than bi-folds.

  • 5 years ago

    I have both bi-folds and sliders between my two properties. I prefer the bifold over the sliders myself. You can't get full access to a closet with sliders. Plus maybe it is the doors I have, but we have more problems with the sliders getting out of alignment and are noisier when opening. Yes, they make good looking bifold. Not all are flimsy. They do make solid wood ones.



  • 5 years ago

    I tend to think that bypass are the ones that look cheap (maybe I've only seen cheap ones!)

    I like the bifold in my bedroom; it is original to 1941 and very solid and attractive.

  • 5 years ago

    Hate bypass doors - got rid of them after using them for awhile at 2 homes. I have hinged double doors over a pantry area, and I'd much prefer bifold for function (not aesthetics.) If aesthetics are an issue, you can custom order solid wood bifolds at H.Depot (among many places.)

  • 5 years ago

    So my contractor suggested if I get doors with this raised piece that I can add something similar to my existing bedroom and closet doors so that I don’t need to buy new ones (only replacing closet) and so they all match. He said I can get custom
    French doors or even a custom 4.5’ custom for the hallway closet if I want it and just leave the bifold in the bedroom (bc of it’s proximity to our bed and my husbands desire to see all his clothes at once which gets rid of sliding doors). Seems like it might be our best plan. I’m wondering if anyone has had success with adding those DIY after the fact.

  • 5 years ago

    Adding molding to doors isn't hard. You just need basic carpentry. We added picture frame molding to all the doors in our house.

  • 5 years ago

    Functionthenlook thanks! Can you show me how it came out?

  • 5 years ago

    If you look at my earlier comment the doors pictured we put on the molding.