Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
loriwhite0604

Rug Size Opinion

Lori White
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

Hello,

We received our new rug yesterday and I am wondering whether it is big enough (6’ x 9’) or if I should order the larger size (8’ x 10’)? When I measured the larger (8’ x 10’) rug would hit the legs of the bench and desk, so I wasn’t sure if that would look odd or too big. Also, pardon the books! I have them holding down the corners where it was rolled up.

Thank you in advance!

Comments (42)

• everdebz
    3 years ago

Kitty likes it. My sense is it's fine with chair and activity in the room. Just a mention that a low pile flat weave could work too.

• Lori White
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you, everdebz! Yes, she really does love it lol!! :)

• everdebz
    3 years ago

What area is beyond the photo?

and seems fluffy and white - I couldn't keep it clean, idk about you!

• calidesign
    3 years ago

You'll be walking on the edges of it - I don't think it makes sense there. I would slide it over for use under the desk and chair, and leave the walkway clear.

• Lori White
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@everdebz, to answer your question, there are French doors beyond the photo. See additional photo attached. Believe it or not, although it’s a lighter, creamy color, it is very similar to the one in our family room (only difference is that one has a trellis design instead of diamonds, but colors are the same) and it is the one rug we’ve owned that has held us the last couple of years and still looks great. This area of the house is also over on one side, so doesn’t see a whole lot of through traffic and we don’t wear our shoes in the house, which probably helps too.

• everdebz
    3 years ago

I read your lifestyle comments - no shoes is a help - we should do that... I like it in the center then. If at the side the stark contrast with dark floor to me makes the room go lopsided, sort of...

• calidesign
    3 years ago

I like the rug under the desk. You can put it all the way up to the molding in back. It gives some definition to the office area, and leaves the aisle clear.

• su_jangwong
    3 years ago

Order the larger rug

• slab
    3 years ago

It is floating like its own little island. You need the larger one.

• Maureen
    3 years ago

Can you tape out the larger size and get a feel; think I would go larger.

• artemis_ma
    3 years ago

Yes, mark out the larger size. I'd be tempted. Oh, and keep the cat!

• Lori White
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you all so much. Taping out is good advice. I have measured several times, but it has been hard to visualize! And, okay, I think we’ll keep the cat, @artemis_ma. She’s a sweetie pie. ;)

• PRO
    User
    3 years ago

I'd go bigger!

• PRO
    FrameMyMirror
    3 years ago

I think something bigger would look great! You could still push it up against the wall & underneath the desk as well that way you do get more of an office feel to that space.

• Ann Bartz
    2 years ago

Yes, bigger, and centered in that space so that it's a little more toward the desk and center line runs through the window and cabinet below it. Also, I'd pull a bit more toward the cabinet so that the cabinet's front legs are on the rug and rug looks more anchored in place.

• Lori White
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thank you all so much!! @GloEuropeanWindows&Doors, a HUGE thank you for the visualization!! Exactly what I needed!! I appreciate the time!

• Mich
    2 years ago

Hi, nice space! I would turn your desk around to face the stairs (who wants to look at a wall) or catty-corner on the rug facing your glass doors, that way your desk is on the rug and your chair can be on or off the rug and stage with a basket in front of the desk. Have fun with it and good luck!

• Cheryl Davis
    2 years ago

Design is a funny thing. As you can see, there are many different opinions with various reasons for preference. I am not sure why we feel that everyone else should make the decisions about our home. You should do what you love most! I can see why some felt you should go larger. Their reasons seem valid. But for me the smaller rug allows the beauty of your floors to dominate the space. The larger rug still floats like an island as someone commented about the smaller rug. The only difference is, it fills the area and the floors disappear. I think you should do whichever you like best and whatever makes your heart happy when you are in that room. It is YOUR home. Whatever feels right to you is the right choice. That's just my humble opinion. 😊

• Terrie B.
    2 years ago

Bigger is better, it is just a tripping hazard otherwise.

• L
    2 years ago

I prefer what you have. The rug appears to be in a hallway to a larger room and thus acts as a runner. I think larger would be odd. In addition, under the desk you are going to have trouble pulling the chair in and out of the desk. I also agree that your floors are beautiful. I think your desk is appropriately facing the wall in this situation as it also serves as a hallway table.

• dee_mckervey
    2 years ago

I think larger would help it connect with the area in front of the french doors too. Too bad it doesn't come in a LONGER but not much wider size

• dee_mckervey
    2 years ago

Maybe move the larger size more toward the french doors to center it in the room??

• brenda880
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

I think the rug is too light (too much contrast against the dark floors) and too big! The room is narrow and long and might look better making 2 separate areas out of it. Put a smaller square rug at the foot of the stairs to make that one area and then make the far end of the room more of its own area with another small rug, perhaps. I would also go a darker abstract coloured rug to bring in another colour in the desk area as it’s too beige and brown right now. Then the same or a plainer rug at the far end. A touch of furniture in the far end would help fill the space.

• Dave Anderson
    2 years ago

Your floors are beautiful, why cover them with a rug? If you want to add rugs, maybe something smaller at the bottom of the steps and in front of the French doors. Much easier to clean smaller rugs and bare floors.

• Cara Johnson
    2 years ago

From what I have read from designers, it is more pleasing to the eye to not have a floating rug, better that your furniture legs are at least sitting on the edge. You can go with the bigger rug or move it to the side like you have it. I also like the contrast. We all have opinions, lol.

• Pam Grenier
    2 years ago

Not sure about the rug, but your cat makes me smile!

• signatuur
    2 years ago

How about turning it a quarter.........? So it's not length wise but under bench and chair.

• everdebz
    2 years ago

Don't y'all yell at me! ;)

but maybe your flowers of art has rosy tones - could move it straight over to the left, and could see it better...

Safavieh Heritage Collection HG914 Rug, Blue/Grey, 8'3" X 11' · More Info

• everdebz
    2 years ago

Is chair taupe / soft brown? looking for 'cool' like walls, and bit of warm, nice? no? delete? :)

Safavieh Vintage Persian Collection VTP411 Rug, Grey/Multi, 8' X 10' · More Info

• everdebz
    2 years ago

Rounded would add imo.

Hauteloom Bodrum Area Rug - 6'7" x 9' Oval · More Info

• everdebz
    2 years ago

Should I say it - if possible, another rug would be better.

Safavieh Antiquities AT15 Area Rug, Blue/Navy, 7'-6"x9'-6" Oval · More Info

• everdebz
    2 years ago

Safavieh Chelsea Collection HK11 Rug, Light Blue, 7'9"x9'9" · More Info

• Lori White
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thank you ALL so very much for your suggestions!! I truly do appreciated all of the feedback. It’s so hard to decide sometimes!

• Lori White
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I decided to try a round one to see what it would look like. Any preference on round or rectangular? If I stick with rectangular I think I’ll order the larger size.

• Lori White
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I like the idea of making the area two separate spaces, which is also what I was thinking based on how the room is split by the hallway. I was thinking of creating a sitting area in the corner of the other space near the closet.

• Lori White
    Original Author
    2 years ago

This photo looks a little more straight on than the other.

• brenda880
    2 years ago

I like the round carpet and even looks better in the paler colour. Put some colourful art on the walls to really make it sing. The only trouble you'll have is with the desk chair legs - you'll be forever fighting to get the chair in and out especially since the pile seems high. I would be tempted to look at the carpet options above that show colour and choose a low pile round one with a little more colour.

• Lori White
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thanks, Brenda880! I am leaning toward the round size as well. I did notice that with the chair legs. We do plan to replace the chair and are just using one we had here already, but it could still be an issue.

• calidesign
    2 years ago

This is a large hallway/walkway. To me, any rug in the middle is just completely out of place. Not only does it not work with the desk, which is the only functional thing in the room, but you'll be walking across it constantly. If you don't want to put a rug under the desk area, to give it some definition, then leave the floor bare.

• everdebz
    2 years ago

What I get is: "here, kitty!" ;)

but somehow I liked the size of your initial rug...

use blue tape to see the size of the larger?

• IdaClaire
    2 years ago

I think the round rug is a definite no, and a larger size works better, but as suggested above, the rug you're considering might not be the best for your space. I think something with a more intricate pattern in a mix of colors would be more interesting and help to tie the area together. The current rug seems to demand too much focus and doesn't contribute to unifying the space quite right.

Sponsored
Daniel Russo Home
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars13 Reviews
Premier Interior Design Team Transforming Spaces in Franklin County