Software
Houzz Logo Print
betsyj712

Which Couch Do You Like Better?

5 years ago

Hi, I am moving into a new apartment soon. For reference, the finishes to my unit will be similar to the one below—gray floors and white finishings.

Which couch do you like better? The navy or the blush? And feel free to add what designs I can do with both. Thanks all!!







Comments (34)

  • 5 years ago

    I‘m partial to navy sofas — i think they’re timeless. But both are pretty!

    Betsey J thanked Mazsola
  • 5 years ago

    Thank you! i’ll keep that in mind for sure

  • 5 years ago

    One more comment - for any couch you consider, think about whether the arm height is functional. These styles of couches are gorgeous, but the unnaturally high arms are sometimes too high to be practical, especially if you plan to use end tables for setting drinks down, putting the remote on, etc., because you have to reach up and over the arm and the end table is generally several inches lower than the arm.

    Betsey J thanked lwfromny
  • 5 years ago

    Thank you so much for that insight and taking the time to give your thoughts. very very useful info

  • 5 years ago

    The blush looks more comfortable, is it?


    Having separate cushions allows you to flip and rotate them, which will extend the life of the sofa.


    The navy is a pretty color, but it seems like it would show lint.

    Betsey J thanked Indecisiveness
  • 5 years ago

    I agree regarding the style of the couches... i like the navy color better. And agree with the above the style of the blush one better.
    I see In what I assume is another apartment sane building ... a luggage colored couch and LOVE THAT!! Is that something you would consider?
    I see you have more of an elegant, girly high heels style lol. But I’m just thinking in an apartment....

    Betsey J thanked HU-187528210
  • 5 years ago

    Thanks everyone! I did not think I would get these many responses. Yes it is for an apartment and I do have more of an elegant style I would say lol. What is a luggage colored couch?

  • 5 years ago

    Here are two more based on all your suggestions. I edited the color for the navy and put it on the blush style. I dont know if luggage style is like the first pic below.



  • 5 years ago

    blush style couch but navy color. if you really like the blush, go with it, but it might be out of trend in a year or two? navy is timeless. so is luggage.

    Betsey J thanked Mamaham_NC_Zone7
  • 5 years ago

    Thanks Mamaham. What exactly is luggage? I am not familiar with that style. Is it the navy couch I originally asked about?

  • 5 years ago

    I think by “luggage” they mean brown leather like in the model apartment.


    All of the sofas you posted look a lot bigger than the one in the apartment. Do you have a floor plan with dimensions?

    Betsey J thanked Indecisiveness
  • 5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

    @Betsey J luggage is a brownish reddish leather color.

    I personally do not like luggage. But it is timeless. It is too dark for me and my home style. But it looks good w the right style.

  • 5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago


    This color family. This couch is west elm.

    Betsey J thanked Mamaham_NC_Zone7
  • 5 years ago

    Ohhh ok! Thank you. I am not really a fan of leather couches, it is beautiful but not me

  • 5 years ago

    The couch w the chaise you posted seems way too big and bulky for this size apartment. The second navy one you posted looks nice.

  • 5 years ago

    @Indecisiveness the floorplan is 736 sqft but we are also waiting for potentially something bigger with a den

  • 5 years ago

    If you like blush, you could do accents w a neutral couch. Then if it goes out or you don’t like it, you just change your accents. Personally I don’t like pink in decor but this is nice if you do. Something like this.


    Betsey J thanked Mamaham_NC_Zone7
  • 5 years ago

    @Mamaham_NC_Zone7 that is gorge!!! I actually really like that. What can I do with the blue couch? it looks really comfy to me and I feel it will go better with the gray floors

  • 5 years ago

    Betsy, you might want to look at rugs as you are searching for couches. That is a way to add color to your room. Couches are $$$, or at least the good quality ones are! I urge you to invest in something neutral (and some here are calling navy a neutral). Then you can add color in other ways to your room as your taste changes and your budget grows. Be careful to purchase a couch that is appropriate in size. And APARTMENT sized couch. Smaller in scale. BTW, you seem attracted to couches with button tufting. Be sure and purchase a vacuum with an attachment that allows you to penetrate the tufted area. Trust me...they are dust collectors!

    Betsey J thanked ptreckel
  • 5 years ago
    • @ptreckel thank you!!! I am a novice so that is veryy good advice. This couches dimensions are 101"W x 40"D x 30"T. is that too big? Plus it’s not on sale right now and I missed the sale because of my indecision.
  • 5 years ago

    Agree you have to take rug into account.


    I'm not a designer by any means, but I wouldn’t call navy neutral completely for furniture. It is a bold color for couch to me but it is a timeless color. i think of neutral more as grey, beige, tan, white etc. Maybe the real designers can chime in.


    Looks like some people are putting blush and navy together. It‘s not for me. Contrast is too stark for my tastes.


    if you want to do navy, what accent colors do you like?






  • 5 years ago

    I’d just add that although button tufting looks cool, I’d make sure it’s comfortable by sitting on the model you choose before buying. I’ve been attracted to the look, but ruled it out after sitting on a few, especially those with tufted seat cushions.
    Also, particularly in less expensive models, the buttons can pop off, and aren’t always so easy to repair.
    I agree with the above suggestion to go neutral and add color with accessories. And I do consider navy (but not blush) to be a neutral.

    Betsey J thanked chinacatpeekin
  • 5 years ago

    That is a very long couch! Do you have floor plans of the apartments that you are looking at? Don’t buy anything until you can do the measurements. An apartment sized sofa is around 78” long (inside 72”). Regular sized, around 90” (84” inside). Check out Lee Industries, www.Leeindustries.com for a selection of apartment sized sofas that can be customized. Not terribly expensive, reasonable quality, American made.

    Betsey J thanked ptreckel
  • 5 years ago

    @Mamaham_NC_Zone7 thank you! I love the last pic and the designs. i’m not tied to the blush, it’s just my favorite color and will always have a place in my heart if I can’t get it in my home. I will be living with my bf and he likes the navy couch. I think I’ll be patient and do some measurements and shopping around with all your suggestions before making a decision. Hopefully I’ll win the lottery :D

    thanks to everyone!!! There is so much to consider that I didn’t think about priorly. def if anyone else have any comments, I will read and make note

  • 5 years ago

    Do you have the dimensions of the room you’ll be putting this in, not just the sq ft of the apartment?


    And have you sat on any of them? The low back is stylish, but not everyone finds it comfy.


    The blue on the sectional is a nice color, but that sofa is too big for your place. Have you measured how you’re going to get the sofa into your apartment?

  • 5 years ago

    @Indecisiveness I will follow your guide and do all of this before purchasing a couch. Thanks so much for your help!

  • PRO
    5 years ago

    I would also measure your doorways and hallways to get to the apartment. These can limit what size couch will fit.

    Betsey J thanked Lisa Caudill Designs
  • 5 years ago

    @Betsey J

    You don't want to buy a sofa just for looks. You need it to be comfortable and last for more than a year or two before it breaks down and looks terrible.


    I bought a sofa about a year ago. I needed a large sectional or two sofas for a 20'x20' living room.


    I went to about 10 different higher end furniture stores, sat in sofa after sofa, went to Lazy Boy as well (Good middle of the road sofa, lower price/mid range quality).


    I checked out the sale items (Most have a back room with floor samples, returns). In one of the stores they had a cream colored sofa that was the exact dimensions that I needed, was a good brand, high performance fabric, comfortable and was knocked down from $8k to $2500 for a 3x2 sectional with 3 recliners.


    The one I fell in love with and would have been the "perfect" sofa was over $10k.


    You can get good furniture at a good price or buy cheaply made furniture for the same price. The difference is where you compromise. I compromised on color and style, but have something that will last 10 years and didn't break the bank.



    Betsey J thanked Jennifer Hogan
  • 5 years ago

    Thanks @Jennifer Hogan and @Lisa Caudill Designs. Both very good advice and experience for me ☺️☺️

  • 5 years ago

    Any couch that is up on legs has a less bulky look. I like the airy feel created when you can see space under the couch.

    Betsey J thanked barebay57
  • 5 years ago

    One other point of information. I have had furniture upholstered in velvet. Velvet has a nap. And repeated sitting on it can create impressions upon it, wear patterns. Hand prints on arms can also show. Over time, the nap can’t be “brushed” out very easily. I can accept this habit of velvet on my small, antique chairs. I am not sure that I would like it in a couch where the “seats” would show conspicuous wear over time. Perhaps this isn’t a problem in modern velvets. Or, perhaps that is a look that you will appreciate. But...just something else to consider.

    Betsey J thanked ptreckel
  • 5 years ago

    As an FYI, I recently purchased a couch and strongly considered buying one the style of the blush couch. I was looking at Joybird and some of their competitors. I almost pulled the trigger on a Joybird, but I was suspicious of the 100% five star rating on their website. So I looked on Yelp, Google reviews, and a few other places, and found the reviews were all HORRIBLE. Clearly they purge any bad review from their site. I found the same to be true of most of their competitors with the exception of AllModern, which people overall seem happy with. In the end I bought from Bassett, which for me is a good balance of price and quality, plus I could sit in it and be sure I’d be happy with it.

    I also love blush and pink, but have incorporated it via a gorgeous area rug and some large scale modern art. That way if I grow tired of it or it begins to look dated I can change things out more economically.

    Betsey J thanked lwfromny
  • 5 years ago

    Ptreckel is right, no couch is going to look good if it’s too big and stuffed into the space. A too big couch becomes the room boss — jamming up your options for additional seating for entertaining, limiting your layout options, dictating where the TV goes. I would wait until you’re in the space and know the length of the wall/space available label for the couch, how traffic flows through the room,whether there are views to consider etc. If it will be used daily, maybe think about a performance fabric that will hold its looks under heavy use.

    Betsey J thanked Mama Cita
Sponsored
Wannemacher Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Customized Award-Winning Interior Design Solutions in Franklin Cnty OH