Software
Houzz Logo Print
erin_vanvuuren

counter: one or two levels?

5 years ago

This is happening in my house right now. We are working with friends, so yeah, demolition has already started before we really know what we’re doing. I am so excited to have the space opened. The question is, do we do one level of 42 inch high counters in an L shape, or a 42 inch high bar On the living/dining room side, and a counter/height counter on the kitchen side? Unfortunately, we can’t have a real island because we have ductwork and a random closet in the middle of our floor plan. So the “island“ will be attached to a wall on one end.

Comments (26)

  • 5 years ago

    I prefer one level. It’s great when you are laying out a buffet or making a big batch of cookies or something. Get counter-height stools.

  • 5 years ago

    One level, counter (not bar) height will look the best.

  • 5 years ago

    One level

  • 5 years ago

    One level. Hope neither of those walls are load bearing.

  • 5 years ago

    Definitely one level

  • 5 years ago

    1 level, for sure

  • PRO
    5 years ago

    Erin:

    Have you checked the direction of the ceiling joists/trusses before beginning please? Is the wall you're altering doing any support work or is it purely a partition wall?

  • 5 years ago

    Sounds like a unanimous 1-level! I get where all counter height may look good, but we’ve been hoping to have seating on the living room side. Is the L going to be weird if we do it high? Should we do a straight 42” high) peninsula coming out there, and lose the L?

    Our contractor friend who is doing the works assures me this is not load-bearing. Something about trusses in the attic? I keep worrying about it anyway and have asked “are you sure?” a lot of times.

  • 5 years ago

    If you do it high it will look like you have a bar in the middle of your house. Is that the look you’re going for? Since you’re going through all the trouble of opening up walls, why not keep it as open as possible?

  • 5 years ago

    You can have counter height seating in the living room if the peninsula/bar is one height. It just won’t be “bar” height. Check out seating. You will see that most stools come in two heights. The benefit of one level is that the surface can serve as a buffet when you are entertaining, and it is less of a barrier between the spaces.

  • 5 years ago

    Bar height would be a mistake - especially from the kitchen side.

  • 5 years ago

    Counter height for all of it, which is 35-36" with countertops.

    Do not do bar height ... look at the comments, we are all saying the same thing, which doesn't happen that often!

  • 5 years ago

    Bar height is a little dated unless you want an actual “bar”. Counter height is the way to go

  • 5 years ago

    I like 2 levels for this situation--a bit of division between kitchen and living room is nice if you aren't planning on having seating. In this case, my higher level would just be a wall ending a few inches above the counter--enough for electrical and a bit of kitchen containment.


    If it's to have seating, then I'd still do 2 levels. A single level visually puts the kitchen in the living room. I don't think that's cool.


    (I'd want counter height on the kitchen side for a work area. If the whole thing is for seating, just put in a table!)

  • 5 years ago

    Welp. You guys led me to climb up into the attic myself and further question my friend (who is very newly minted as a GC). It looks as though that corner post is loadbearing. So we are going to face that in to look like a beam, and have a beams across the top. With that, I am back to thinking about doing regular counters on the kitchen side, and a little bar sticking out a little higher on the living room side.

  • 5 years ago

    Here’s the general plan right now.

  • 5 years ago

    (Those pics are just propped up plywood to help me visualize)

  • 5 years ago

    Just curious, why do you want higher bar seating on the living room side?

  • PRO
    5 years ago

    Another vote for one level and at 36"...

  • 5 years ago

    I think I like the idea of some separation between the spaces...and hiding some things on that lower cabinet. We are not known for our tidiness.

  • 5 years ago

    I also kind of like that the living room side is standing height. When we have people over we all tend to stand around a lot. It’s like a tiki bar! 🙃

  • 5 years ago

    After much deliberation and finding a beautiful piece of granite, I’m trying to talk the husband into 36” one height. Trying to figure out how that works with the column.

  • 5 years ago

    We’re doing it! Thank you for talking me down. One big piece of black pearl leathered granite that I want to rub all day.

  • 5 years ago

    Great choice black leather will be beautiful

  • 5 years ago

    I'm glad you decided on one level. Still L shaped? How are you incorporating the beam? Looking forward to seeing the final result.

  • 5 years ago

    I removed a two level that was part of my great room and the one level looks SO much better. Before and after.