Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
codyh159

Updated Home - Light or Mid-tone Flooring?

codyh159
2 years ago

If you're shopping updated homes on the modern side of design would you prefer light or mid-tone flooring? Dark isn't an option and let's assume LVP. It's also assumed other features of the house will coordinate. Of course we're considering the aesthetics of the color/style, but what about also factoring in everyday use, such as dirt and wear. If you have a choice which direction are you going? I'll provide a couple examples of what I have in mind to give you an idea:

Light

Mid-tone

Comments (17)

• mtvhike
    2 years ago

Context? Are you building, updating, or buying a home?

• Jen K (7b, 8a)
    2 years ago

I'm installing a light wood SPC throughout our new build.

Most of our homes have had light porcelain tile and with a home furnished with all antiques (although I consider our style transitional) a light floor made sense. Also because we're used to having tile I chose an SPC which is more rigid than LVP.

I also have two dogs and while one is black in town and another is blonde the light flooring will show less dirt and hair. Also because I have a lot of heavy furniture dents and scratches won't show as much.

• maifleur03
    2 years ago

Lighter is the more modern style. The better question should be what is the most popular in your area for other flips.

• sushipup1
    2 years ago

The mid-tone you show has a lot of gray in the color. If there anything with less gray? I like midtones, but not the one you show. t I'd actually prefer the light color.

• Mamaham_NC_Zone7
    2 years ago

is there a photo you can post to show the mid-tone in context? Based on what you posted, I'd say light is more modern and better for pet hair.

• codyh159
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I apologize if there's confusion about the intention of the post. I'm really just curious about YOUR preferences in homes YOU would be shopping for. And I wish I could have provided better examples. Those are just generic colors/styles to help illustrate what I'm thinking of light vs mid-tone. You can keep it simple by using your own definition of these color categories. Light vs mid.

We prefer to go lighter with our designs, which lean towards Scandinavian, but I'm wondering what buyers generally think since they also might be considering everyday use. I can tell you the one I posted on top is Lifeproof Luxurious Pine and it easily scratches/scuffs on the lightest parts, which is the majority. However, the more inexpensive Lowe's Procore in a similar tone, although thinner, doesn't scratch nearly as easily. Those aren't the brands or stores I'm exclusive to. Just another illustration.

• calidesign
    2 years ago

I think a mid tone is almost always better. A neutral mid tone can work with any style of home and furnishings, where a super light floor only works with some styles.

• Rachel Simanski
    2 years ago

We just put Shaw Weathered Oak LVT in our basement. Love the color. Upstairs on our main level we have natural hickory. LOVE it!

• codyh159
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Ok so to be more specific, we're interested in this style in the "light" category. What do you think as a buyer? Assuming light color walls (typically off-white with black or charcoal gray accents). Focus more on the tones, not necessarily the style.

• maifleur03
    2 years ago

I hope you are aware that the grays have fallen out of favor this past year. While gray accents would have worked better before the pandemic people are now wanting lighter and brighter to dispel the gloom of the past year and almost a half. When you remove the gray other wood tones especially the lighter ones can open up an area.

• sushipup1
    2 years ago

I prefer light but the ones in your pictures have far too much variation in the colors, which looks cheap to me.

• Kate
    2 years ago

I prefer in the brown range, goes with everything and always looks great.

• Kate
    2 years ago

Light floors always look a bit Scandinavian or remind me of a gym floor.

• kculbers
    2 years ago

I like light floors.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    2 years ago

Mid tone but your selection IMO has too much green undertone.

Select something more neutral in color so you won't have problems with paint colors later one.

• Mamaham_NC_Zone7
    2 years ago

Mid tone. Neutral. When looking at houses I like something timeless. Not the fad of the day. We saw many houses that had grey floors or similar and that will be out of style. You want to buy something that will appeal to most buyers.

• wdccruise
    2 years ago

I'm biased as I have a white oak hardwood floor with a natural finish. Here are three I find attractive: