Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
being_breeze

How late can hostas emerge in spring?

Being Breeze
2 years ago

I'm new to growing hostas, but planted a variety in a new shade bed last spring. I'm seeing small new shoots from most of the hostas planted, but my Wu-La-La (similar to the Empress Wu) shows no signs of growth. I can see where the plant was (where old stalk was cut) but nothing else. She is planted in a rather shady part of the garden, but my Sum & Substance planted near her is already awake.

Is she a lost cause, or is she perhaps just really slow to emerge??

Comments (12)

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Where are you located? My Empress Wu is up, in fact all of mine are up at least a little except On Stage which is always last.

tj

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    2 years ago

carefully dig it up and find out

always include your big city location... it really helps

ken

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    2 years ago

BTW- even though Wu-la-la is a sport of Empress Wu they may not emerge at the same time. On Stage is a sport of montana Aureomarginata which is the first of mine to emerge.

Not sure I’d dig it up, maybe just clear off the top first.

tj

• Being Breeze
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Sorry - I'm Zone 6 in Eastern WA

May wait a week or two and then dig up if still nothing :/

Edit - gave the top of the plant a little tug and seems to still be rooted. Added some fresh compost on top...will see if that helps.

2 years ago

frankly.. im concerned it planted too deep ... and thats why its late .. so heeping more stuff on top wouldnt be my first choice ..

dig it up and find out ..

it would be no different than buying anew hosta today and planting it.. so just do it ...

to repeat.. dig it up and do it .. lol ..

ken

• steve duggins(Z6a) - Central Ohio
    2 years ago

I'd brush the compost off and wait. Either its there or not. No need to unduly stress it out. I still have 4 yet to appear. Hollywood Lights, always my last. Foxfire Bamm Bamm wasn't great last year so probably gone. Tropical Storm (fingers crossed) and Just So which heaved and just replanted.

• dhaven
    2 years ago

It's okay to put compost around the crown, but keep it off the crown, which is the center of the hosta and can be prone to rot if covered too deeply. Best to keep crown clear, and in any case the compost is for the roots. Spread it out to where you think the outer edges of the leaves will be when the hosta is fully leafed out.

• Being Breeze
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Well - I went ahead and dug her up...found some roots but not much plant or crown left at all. I think she was a goner (and if she wasn't she is now!) I'll start looking for a replacement. Think I'll try to find an actual Empress Wu this time instead...

I did happen upon a Drinking Gourd hosta while I was out, and of course it came home with me...would it do better in deep shade or part sun?

2 years ago

Pretty much all Hosta do better in part sun as long as you are keeping them out of hot afternoon sun.

2 years ago

and now you know .. so you dont have to anxiously wait.. and .. best of all .. you get to go buy a new one ...

many of us would pot whatever you found.. just to see if it would recover ... but at that point.. we wouldnt be worrying about it anymore ...

ken

2 years ago

Tropical Storm showed up today after heavy rain yesterday. It was very small last year and at least two eyes pipping. Guess it's another late bloomer (pipper?). Haven't checked on the others yet.

• miles10612
    2 years ago

We got a much needed day of rain yesterday, just a steady rain. A little bit more today and lots more expected Monday. i have quite a few that are just a couple of inches up. The yard is filled with squirrels running everywhere. some of the more acrobatic ones have taken over the birdfeeders--they seem to be oblivious to the baffles and even Pam sprayed on the poles. Oh Cindy which was a couple of eyes last year is gone. I also lost a Dick Ward--but since I have 2 other ones in another bed, it's not a big deal. The Tokudama Aureo... that I got this year is now doing quite well in a pot that I put it in 6 weeks ago. Hopefully the ones outside will look as well as the new one does. Ulysses S. Grant and Liberty are getting huge.