Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
michael_crofford

Drainage Ideas Around Pool

Michael Crofford
2 years ago

So our pool build was finished a few weeks ago and we enjoyed swimming for about a week before a heavy rainstorm dropped 5 inches over a couple days and flooded our pool. The drainage system the pool builder put in placed failed to keep up with the amount of water. We've had to empty the pool and have it pressure washed and are currently filling it back up.

As you can see the pool filled faster than it could be drained and runoff from the hill along with the rain could not drain fast enough. The drain system in front of the wall was overwhelmed. Muddy runoff from some of the new hydrangea and juniper plantings entered the pool.

The pool builder suggested another catch basin and some more plantings of tall grasses at the top. He feels that when these plants mature they'll catch a lot more of the runoff. I'm not opposed but feel more needs to be done.

My idea is to add a small narrow creek bed that drains around the pool towards the front yard. I was going to dig a narrow trench (only have a few few feet of land behind the fence). I was going to put a bunch of smaller rocks in the trench and then place some larger stones against the back of the fence and try to channel some of the rain away from the pool.

Wanted to see if you all had any ideas or other suggestions. Thanks a bunch.

Ideas;

Picture of Failure:

Close up:

Comments (2)