hurley_west

Small scandi kitchen vibe- Edited

Ginger Chew

Hello,

Here are my choices for a small galley kitchen remodel.

Flooring: Stuga matte ingrid

Calcatta gold (warm taupe veining) quartz countertop

Mist (warm, creamy white) uppers and Mist (warm dark taupe, minimal green/pink undertones) lower cabinets

Cloe pink bedrosian subway tiles to be installed vertically with dark grout

going for a warm neutral Scandinavian vibe. Thoughts?

The house is an 80 year old traditional. For those who keep suggesting darker floors, I truly dislike dark wood floors which is why I have chosen this brand's swedish wood flooring

how the tile looks installed

• Nicole

Love it. I hope you plan to bring in some black or dark wood tone to ground it all and a metallic.

Ginger Chew thanked Nicole

Glass front kitchen cabinets?

We like to do a mix of glass and wood front panels. That way you have the option of displaying some of your prettier dishes and making the kitchen feel more open, and it saves some money. In this particular kitchen we did a mix of glass, open shelving, and wood panel doors. You can see other pictures here: http://columbiaredevelopment.com/contemporary-home-beaumont-wilshire/

Kitchen Nook Ideas

you like dark blue 'washable'? http://www.jcpenney.com/shops/doorbuster/for-the-home/kartoum-washable-octagonal-rugs/prod.jump?ppId=pp5004070698&N=1799&searchTerm=area+rug+clearance&topDim=Rug+Size&topDimvalue=5+ft+square%2Fround&dimCombo=Rug+Size%7C&dimComboVal=5+ft+square%2Fround%7C&currentDim=Rug+Size&currentDimVal=5+ft+square%2Fround&catId=SearchResults&_dyncharset=UTF-8&colorizedImg=DP0606201417102316M.tif

How can I improve this kitchen nook?

This is an eating nook. Unify the whole room. A great open simple iron light fixture would add height and drama. Keep two pillows each with a different rooster design. The shelves and the way they are accessorized make it look like a reading room/library. Get a beautiful Country French set of rooster dishes and use them mixed with plants and pottery and possibly some old pewter pieces on, the whole unit. The dises should be in the same color pattern as the pillows. Plantation shutters, to match color of built in, would be simple, but dramatic. Rich looking. Keep the center piece simple, maybe a collage of low chunky candlesticks or a short topiary, or hand made basket full of ivy. Love your table and chairs, they are warm and inviting, and have Key West look. A simple wallpaper inside the wall unit would also be nice. Keep the scale small and it won't fight with your accessories. Good luck!

mid century ranch kitchen backsplash

with those cabinets and countertop I'd do a very soft sage 4x4 in an offset. it's completely period appropriate. (they didn't do 3x6 subway tiles in the 50's) https://www.winchestertiles.com/details?product=W.UTE2005 or something like this. and if you can bring in some matching green pendants like this somewhere, perfect! But I'd do this layout: or see if you like any of these other colors https://www.winchestertiles.com/products?colour=%27Green+to+Blue%27&page=9 Hibiscus Tilebar also carries a few colors in the 4x4. look at the Montauk series.
  • Ginger Chew

@ Jan Moyer thank you. I don't see the cool. How do you feel about this?

• Ginger Chew

I adore the flooring!

• Isaac

I ... actually really like it, and I don't normally like pink. I think you will need some black in there - hardware, maybe - to make the soft pale tones of all the other colors work. Otherwise it might look a bit washed out.

udos to you for coming up with something novel that you like!

Ginger Chew thanked Isaac
  • isabellagracepan

I think if you love it you should go for it! Have you tried sticking your samples in your room and living with them for a while? That usually helps me decide.

Ginger Chew thanked isabellagracepan
  • kj s

I admire you for coming up with your own take that is so fun. The Cloe inspiration pic looks intriguing and fresh to me as it is in the vertical stack the grout is so dark. I'm wondering if it will lose its impact if you do light grout. Or look odd if you keep the grout and that is the darkest tone in the room. It seems like a darker contrast needs to come in somehow, but I am not sure how best to do that. Will there be any open shelves since it is a small galley?

Ginger Chew thanked kj s
  • modpod

I like it! It has a very Scandi/northern sensibility. I think that particular pink might not be the best one, but overall it is a lovely palette. I think you should look through Houzz UK or Houzz Sweden photos, this is not a typical American palette. They handle pastels in a modern way much better. Good luck!

Ginger Chew thanked modpod
  • modpod

One more thought, do you want pink or just a pastel? Or just a color? You could also look into sage/mint/ green tones as the accent with maybe gold as accent. Or black as mint chocolate chip! Good luck!

Ginger Chew thanked modpod
  • Donald

I like it but I’d simplify it by keeping the cabs one color (the lighter of the two) because you’re also going to be bringing in appliances, faucet, knobs, lights, linens, accessories, etc.

Ginger Chew thanked Donald
  • Peter Barnard

I think you’re going in an interesting direction. Might I suggest checking out Fireclay Tile? They recently redid their pricing structure, which made a lot of their tiles much more attainable. They also have a couple of sample color pallets (like pinks, Scandinavian summer, or desert) that may work well with the direction you’re going. https://www.fireclaytile.com/samples/stories

Ginger Chew thanked Peter Barnard
  • Peter Barnard

Also, I like the darker cabinet color with the existing color pallet.

Ginger Chew thanked Peter Barnard
    JAN MOYER

There is a "California diner in the sixties" way to do this, or.....a bit of luxury French bakery feel. Right? If you want the first? The floor feels wrong. The cabinet gray feels too green with the counter top. If YOU love it? Fine!

Kitchens are expensive. The concept either way is FUN. But Some surfaces are more permanent than others within a kitchen.

I would want the SUGGESTION of either.. Not the literal. That is me, and not you. Suggestion is different than literal, and might mean a more timeless kitchen. Again.........that's me . For me?

A pale blush of pink on the WALLS. A white "marble" topping white cabinets. A deeper wood tone for flooring or if tile, black and white, or a deep charcoal. The palest gray perhaps in the tile. The rest? Accessories, art......and if a window? Keep the feel. with a striped roman shade. Again....that's me, not you. And the pwoer of "suggestion". in a space...........

White, a dab of pale pink.....DARK chocolate. ......: ) Yum.

Ginger Chew thanked JAN MOYER
  • herbflavor

None of this for a small galley. Great risk it backfires. You want everything in same tone basically due to the galley shape and you say small as well. If you have a side hutch area or island or large space w opportunities or the like is where you contrast things in this way. Do yourself a favor and make a kitchen that stands the test of time without gimmicky features like ice cream colors.

Ginger Chew thanked herbflavor
  • Isaac

From your other posts I gather that you are located in Hollywood? This feels like a color scheme that would work there better than many other places.

Ginger Chew thanked Isaac
  • Alana Willick

I love the concept, and I love your inspo pic.

My preference would be for a darker floor (is that your current floor under the samples?), and one color cabinet (like your lighter choice best).

I love the below one with darker wood, light counters and blue backsplash (but trade for your pink one)

I think the other 2 come across as nice kitchen without being gimmicky, so I wouldn’t worry about that. I say go for it!

Ginger Chew thanked Alana Willick
  • THOR, Son of ODIN

Creative idea!

Just not that flooring. Keep things 'Chocolate Brown' rather than 'Concrete Gray'.

Ginger Chew thanked THOR, Son of ODIN
  • kculbers

Ginger Chew. I chose gray cabinets in my kitchen with Silestone Quartz countertops. I have my kitchen accessories in ballet pink, celadon green, and white ( Neopolitan ice cream colors). I like your Neopolitan colors. They are happy colors❣️

Ginger Chew thanked kculbers
  • RedRyder

I love that you want a happy-colored kitchen. I agree with the other who said the floor needs to be darker (look for walnut stained flooring). I also agree that one color for the cabinets, darker floors and a pink backsplash would be very unique and quite lovely. Then add darker hardware (oil rubbed bronze or black) and lighting. And definitely a pink Kitchenaid mixer! Or a pink toaster! The backsplash should be chosen AFTER the floors and cabinets and countertop are installed. You can find a ton of gorgeous pink/blush tile for the backsplash so don’t buy anything (other than samples) until the rest of the room is done.

Ginger Chew thanked RedRyder
    Sabrina Alfin Interiors

I like it! The only thing I'm not sold on is the dark grout against the pink tile. It won't work very well with your Calacatta Gold quartz counters. Go with white grout. Ask your tiler to make the grout lines as thin as possible for a more modern look.

• Gcubed

Agree with darker toned floors and all one color cabinets (for a small galley). I have a small galley and considered two-tone (but ended up leaving cabinets the soft white that they were originally when we moved in). I added Calacatta Nuvo counter tops. That way the back-splash adds the busy-ness and not multiple features. I went with a shades of gray backsplash and Hale Navy on the very little wall space that was visible. You could do your pale pink for backsplash and keep walls neutral. And add similar tone for any window dressing you may want (roman shade perhaps or bring in a wooden/bamboo blind to add some warmth). Agree with pink toaster or mixer but if it's truly a small galley kitchen then keep as much off the counters as you can!

• chicagoans

(not a pro) I like Jan's ideas to bring in a beautiful soft pink with wall paint, accessories, and lighting. You may be able to find amazing pendants that you could spray paint pink, or a chandelier with pale pink crystals or a pale pink drum shade. Then your counters and cabinets are the creamy vanilla ice cream that's a perfect way to showcase the strawberry topping in your palette.

BTW my daughter bought a KitchenAid mixer in rose and it's adorable - a word I don't often use for mixers.

Ginger Chew thanked chicagoans
  • Isaac

So often I see complaints on this site about the preponderance of white kitchens. I am glad to see the OP wanting to try something else, and to see _some_ of the commenters offering friendly, constructive advice.

Go for it, @Ginger Chew.

Ginger Chew thanked Isaac
    Beth H. :

the backsplash should always be last (and please, NO dark grout w/this tile. would look horrible w/the softer elements you've chosen) Just use a soft misty gray/white grout color. Mapei, Warm Gray would be perfect.

basically you'll have this look. (this is a whiter grout)

if you have to have those color cabinets, then just WAIT until it's all installed. Lighting in your home will change how everything looks.

I don't mind your selection, but just wait. (and no, it's not too busy. It's just important you wait until cabs/countertop are in first)

Bedrosians has the Makoto pink tile

Tilebar:

In a small galley kitchen, do you have to use the two tone cabs? why not use the lighter one and then use the darker color on the walls?

• cawaps

The problem with asking opinions of a large group of opinionated people is that they'll give them to you, emphatically, and some of them will be in direct contradiction to each other.

I like the concept, and do not have the concerns of many of the above posters. I do think there's merit to going with one cabinet color--a simplified palette is easier to work with, and in a small galley kitchen there isn't much opportunity to step back and take in the two tone look anyway. Of the two cabinet colors, I prefer the lighter.

At first blush, the pink seems fine (see what I did there...) and I personally like the darker grout better that the light examples Beth showed). But...the advice to choose your tile last is good, because sometimes the thing you looked at in the samples doesn't look at all the same when everything is assembled in the actual space with the actual lighting. Go ahead and keep the Bedrosian tile as your leading contender, but be open to reevaluating--and maybe finding an alternative pink tile--once everything else is in place.

Ginger Chew thanked cawaps
  • smalloldhouse_gw

I have a small galley kitchen with dark taupe cabinets, and I'm following to see where you go. I can only speak for my space/tastes, but the combination of Calcatta quartz counters PLUS a a multi-tone pink backsplash with dark grout. PLUS two toned cabinets seems like a lot - potentially clashing and definitely at odds with the simplicity that I'd associate with a Scandinavian vibe. If your heart is set on the pink tile as the 'star' of your kitchen, think about how to pare down some of the other permanent elements so that you actually can appreciate the tile.

• Ginger Chew

Beth H. The Bedrosian tile you screenshot is the tile I've selected :-)

• Alana Willick

If Scandinavian style is what you’re after, you can certainly get it with the pallet you have.
    I would still edit a bit and keep the number of finishes to a minimum, but keep going with what you’ve got.

Ginger Chew thanked Alana Willick
    Beth H. :

ginger, this one?

This is makoto, blush, not Cloe.

https://www.bedrosians.com/en/product/detail/makoto-tile/

it's slightly longer than cloe (2x10). shown here w/soft white grout

compared to cloe. shorter

here's cloe w/your dark grout. the dark works here because of the dark wall color. using dark grout w/your light kitchen colors will not look right. don't do it

this is the Makoto (in the gray) done in the vertical stack

don't forget the trim liner. Neither of these lines come w/bullnose tiles

Ginger Chew thanked Beth H. :
  • Ginger Chew

Hi Beth, Ok now i see the difference. I think in my small space the thinner would look better, i agree. The blush color loses its charm for me with light grout and seems too pink. I haven't purchased tile yet so it's no biggie. My floors arrive this week and I'm looking forward to it. Need to order my cabinets STAT. Will likely stick to one color and am now just trying to decide it it's worth almost 10K to have a "color" vs white shaker.

Beth H. :

I like your choices.

here's a small galley w/soft gray uppers, darker lowers

or, what if you went w/somethign like this? these fit in w/the Scandi/mcm style

• Ginger Chew

Beth H, hahah I see you looking at Semi-handmade's site :-). I like the wood look but husband is not on board at all. There are some beauties in there for sure. Thank you for so much of your time today. As someone mentioned earlier, they asked if if in LA and yes I'm near Hollywood. Traditional kitchens are not at all my vibe and I have a good idea of what I like. This thread is what happens when I doubt my choices and second guess myself. But I def like what I like and it is for sure not for everyone. Case in point, look over my shoulder this instant and this is the artwork. Certainly not for everyone, but I love it.

• RedRyder

Love that painting!

Ginger Chew thanked RedRyder
  • Missi (4b IA)

I like the colors together, personally..tho probably for myself I would do the lighter on all cabinets and the darker on the walls. I think the pink is fun.

Ginger Chew thanked Missi (4b IA)
  • Missi (4b IA)

I dig the painting too!

Ginger Chew thanked Missi (4b IA)
  • Circus Peanut

I love your ideas. You'd likely want to avoid the kitschy 50's diner or French cafe look, which would be a very American version of this palette, with saturated poodle pinks and black, rather than the softer Scandi roses and grays. Also: perhaps best to choose whites that are not solid glaring white.

Definitely keep the floors lighter, that may not be trendy right now in the US but it's what they use most often in Scandinavia (long dark winters!) -- I've got family in Sweden and this is definitely their thing, so you're on point, plus it's clearly your preference. :)

These are just a smattering of color palette photos grabbed quickly from current German and Swedish magazines:

Ginger Chew thanked Circus Peanut
    Designer Kitchen and Bath

If the floors are a done deal, then I think you need a darker cabinet base color to give a bit of contrast to them, and create a foundation. A light charcoal stained wood could be interesting but subtle. Or just a nice medium gray. White counters, but no real veining to them. That's distracting and unnecessary. Pure white is far more timeless.

I would not be afraid of the pink used as your upper cabinets. And then do the more creamy tan as the backsplash. I think it would have more impact. And it’s only paint. Easy enough to paint over in a few years time.

Ginger Chew thanked Designer Kitchen and Bath
  • Maureen

I get the vibe you are aiming for and love it.

The only change I would suggest is the same as others; keeping the grout light so as to achieve that soft look it seems you are aiming for.

In regards to two tone cabinets, I like the shades chosen, but be sure in a galley kitchen, they won’t break it up too much.

Ginger Chew thanked Maureen
  • Circus Peanut

@Maureen Those are just gorgeous and I love the addition of the blue-gray/ faint aqua in your photos, a nice contrasting touch.

I'd emphasize that to go darker with this look, I wouldn't do black, do a darker gray or flat, grayed brown, nothing rich or red-toned. Textures provide the velvety warmth -- whitewashed wood, satin-finished wood, honed stone, etc. Nothing shiny.*

ETA: of course I say that, then see the lovely shiny Kobenstyle pots in the photos. Free opinions, worth the price charged. ;-)

Ginger Chew thanked Circus Peanut
  • heatheron40

I LOVE PINK! My family room is pink

I love the color of the floor, love counter, sooo love the pink backsplash! I would reconsider 2 tone for cabinets in a galley kitchen. We had a galley and I fear it would just be too much in an enclosed area. I kinda like the idea of a darker grout, just not chocolate. I think maybe try a light brown/ tan. I can't wait to see it. My Dh and Dkids nixed a pink kitchen. Already had pink sitting room and dining room ;^) Do wait for backsplash until very last, tones seem to change once everything is in. You might pick a different pink :^).