alan_browning51

Need design help for a small kitchen

Alan Browning

The time has come to redo our small kitchen in our 1950s colonial. It's 9'x14' with three doors which adds to the challenges. We don't want a lot of bells and whistles, just an efficient layout. The thing I'm struggling with is the placement of the refrigerator. We would like a 36" wide model. That's pretty typical for a house of this size. Even with a counter depth unit there's no place it seems to fit well. In one location which is near the most used entry from outside it projects a couple of inches into the walking space. In the other location which is at the end of the short wall it is so close to the countertop running the long dimension of the room that it leaves a deep "cave" next to it. The diagrams will show what I'm talking about, I hope.

As I'm writing this, I'm thinking how nice it would be if the mudroom entrance were just one foot closer to the middle of the wall. It would make all the difference in the world, but I don't know what the cost to move it would be. There's lots of wiring and maybe some plumbing in there I think, so could be a very expensive proposition just to move a doorway one foot. So I'm assuming for now that it isn't in the budget.