Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ibanez540r

Amelanchier / Serviceberry

ibanez540r
2 years ago

I think I've decided on a Serviceberry as a single specimen tree out in my back lawn. I currently have a large two-level patio with sandstone outcroppings and substantial perimeter landscaped beds containing evergreen trees & shrubs, barberry, ornamental grass, Purple Fountain Beech, Japanese Maple, etc. I've got an open lawn before a row of Norway Spruce at the property line. I've been thinking of a tree or two to put in the lawn area to tie everything together, make it more "natural", and provide some trees for the birds. The property is otherwise open.

Looking at availability at the tree farm I purchase from, they have:

Amelanchier Laevis - Cumulus (Tree form)

Amelanchier Laevis - Lustre (Tree form)

Amelanchier Laevis - Spring Flurry (Tree form)

Amelanchier x Grandiflora - Autumn Brilliance (Clump form)

Amelanchier x Grandiflora - Ballerina (Tree form)

Amelanchier x Grandiflora - Princess Diana (Tree & clump form)

I think I prefer tree form for this application, but open to reasons for clump. I've spent the last several hours looking at size & descriptions online but wanted any first-hand info or comparisons. I'd like something a little faster growing if possible.

Any opinions or info is appreciated!

Zone 6 - NE Ohio

Comments (13)

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    2 years ago

A pic or two of the area would help us see what might tie things together.

tj

• ViburnumValley central KY Bluegrass z6
    2 years ago

Know that your single Amelanchier sp. may produce few to no fruit, if there is not an able cross-pollinating partner close enough for insects to transfer pollen for you.

Those are all perfectly good selections that perform well in NE Ohio and most of the rest of the midwest region. A single stem is generally easier to limb up if you want that type of accessibility. Clump forms will give you width more quickly at eye level, if you wish to screen something - or have flowers and fruit closer to your reach.

• nickel_kg
    2 years ago

Nice choices for 'mother nature' :-) In my yard, birds go for the serviceberries as well as the arrow wood viburnum fruits before any others.

• Kevin Reilly
    2 years ago

I have autumn brilliance excellent tasting berries but birds love them too

• arbordave (SE MI)
    2 years ago

Of the tree form varieties, Cumulus and Lustre are supposed to be less prone to suckering. We've only planted a few Spring Flurry's, and a couple Princess Diana's (so a very limited sample size) but so far they don't seem to be quite as vigorous as Cumulus & Lustre, and we've seen a few suckers on them. No experience with Ballerina.

• maackia
    2 years ago

I've only got a single stem Autumn Brilliance, which seems to have completely captured the Amelanchier market in this part of the Midwest. That probably has something to do with Bailey's, but I'm not certain of that. I rarely if ever see any of the others listed above in the retail trade.

The tree is doing fairly well, and no sign of suckering. It had a nice display of flowers this spring (just ending), but if Viburnum Valley is correct, I won't hold my breath 'til I taste the berries.

This could be considered heresy, but I'm not completely enamored with the flowering. The flowers are pretty, but very subtle and short-lived (IMO). Nice, but for a small flowering tree, I'd opt for Malus as a single specimen.

• ibanez540r
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thanks everyone, good info so far.

Arbordave - Any notable size or shape differences between the varieties you mentioned?

• ibanez540r
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I should also add, the location is definitely full sun. It's funny that some places label these as full sun, and others recommend understory part-shade. Not sure if one variety is more tolerant than another.

• arbordave (SE MI)
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

I think Cumulus and Lustre would both be good choices if you're looking for a single stem tree with a relatively upright habit. Cumulus probably has the potential to grow the tallest. I don't have enough experience with the other tree form varieties to provide very useful comments on those.

They all should be fine in full sun at your location (NE Ohio).

• ibanez540r
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Funny you should say that. I've realized Cumulus is the most upright & narrow and I think I am eliminating it because of that. I would prefer a little more round or wide spread. My lot is 2.6 acres and along the street (corner lot) it's lined with Cleveland Select Pear (here before I was :-/ ) so I'd rather vary from the upright shape.

• ibanez540r
    Original Author
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

So I went to the tree farm early last week and their stock is changing very quickly. Very limited availability but was able to purchase two 2" caliper Princess Diana Serviceberry trees with what I would estimate as 24" to 30" B&B balls. They were put on the trailer and wrapped with mesh covering, 10 minute drive home last Wednesday. Once home I unstrapped and unwrapped them and stood them up on the trailer where they stayed until this past weekend. I watered them daily. I think I may have over soaked them once or twice, so the last two days before planting I did not water.

Dug the holes plenty wide and planted them 2-4" above grade. Burlap from the top of the ball was removed to grade, they were staked and mulched with a good 3" to 4" of mulch (5' circle in lawn area), with no mulch around the crown.

As soon as I drove them home, the one looked a little wilted. It apparently did not like the drive. Again they were wrapped appropriately, and 10 minutes at 35-40 mph, so nothing crazy. They did not seem too happy sitting on the trailer until planting either, but I attributed it to possibly too much water. Thought they would perk up once in the ground. Still look rough. It has been exceptionally warm in the 80's the whole time and near 90 yesterday. I hit them with liquid root stimulator yesterday, and luckily today we have rain and storms moving in with a cold front this afternoon. Much cooler the next few days.

Is it normal for them to react this way? Is "transplant shock" a thing with B&B since the root structure wasn't really disturbed? Any advice or time frame?

(I do not know when they were actually dug. They were B&B stock and not grown at the tree farm. They were happily sitting when purchased)

• ibanez540r
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Understood.

They are showing some yellowing of leaves, unfortunately. We are back into 50 & 60s for the next few days with rain so hopefully that gives them some rest.

You are correct that the mesh covering was not windproof. I actually purchased it from them last year when I bought a substantial amount of shrubs and trees for the patio project. They recommended it as a cover for everything on the trailer.

With the Amelanchiers they had tied the branches as tight and safe as they could, then wrapped the mesh a few times around them so it was thicker / more solid, but by no means a tarp. I never knew they needed fully tarped if in leaf.

Do you think it will drop the current berries or will they continue to grow? Any signs of concern to watch out for?