Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lplantagenet

Seedling Pictures

lplantagenet7AVA
2 years ago

I raised this seedling and one other from seeds given to me by a friend who thought they came from Belle de Crecy. The other seedling is completely different--with bright red single or nearly single blooms and golden centers. Both are once bloomers of mixed European ancestry. I don't have pictures of the other seedling because rabbits ate it to the ground last summer and it is growing new leaves and canes this year rather than buds. Seedling 1 appears to be of a naturally dwarfish habit and does not have fringed stipules like the larger seedling 2 (about four feet) pictured below.

This larger seedling is planted near a rose identified here last year as Russell's Cottage Rose to which is bears a remarkable resemblance in both its fringed stipules and flower form although the flowers of the seedling are paler and smaller--the largest about 2.5 inches across. This seedling sets buds somewhat later, too, which makes it more vulnerable to late frosts. Temperatures here dropped to 31 or 32 degrees on the nights of April 29th and 30th, with strong day time winds, and many of its buds turned yellow and some of the blooms are only half-formed.

I propagated two of the Russell's lookalike about 15 years ago from a large bush growing near an ancestor's grave. I don't recall that the mother plant showed a tendency to climb and both of my roses grow as large shrubs. I keep them neat and orderly by pruning any long canes that might appear later in the season. There are never many and neither behaves as if it wants to climb. These two are stunning in bloom and almost always the first roses to attract the attention and admiration of visitors, with their large clusters of flowers and long bloom time.

Lindsey

Comments (4)

• Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
    2 years ago

Lovely! I only got a single pink.

• portlandmysteryrose
    2 years ago

I love that you raised these roses yourself! So beautiful. My 10-year-old daughter and I started pollinating and collecting daylily seeds. We plan to try roses this year. 🤞 for something good like yours! Carol

• lplantagenet7AVA
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thank you, Carol--mine is garden worthy, perhaps, but not spectacular, and its ancestry is a mystery.

I hope you and your daughter will try growing roses from seeds--one of a kinds are always interesting even if they don't grow up to be great roses, which few will ever do. Except for the seedling in the picture and the single red, all of mine came from open-pollinated seeds of Gallicas, Damasks, or Rose De Resht. I do intend to try seeds from my Pink Moss, which suckers and forms hips like any Gallica--for this reason I think of it as a Gallica Moss.

Two buds of one of my seedlings opened today. I have had it long enough to lose its ID but I am nearly certain the seed parent was Conditorum. It is bushy and about 2 1/2 feet tall and for the past several years has produced a few blooms. The first couple of years seemed to confirm its relationship to Conditurum, but last year the flowers looked so much like Officinalis I began to suspect that Officinalis was the pollen parent. Today's blooms, however, once again suggest it is a self-pollinated seedling of Conditorum, which of course, I hope is true, since the Apothecary runs wild in the garden while Conditorum sulks and refuses to sucker. It did produce one lovely bloom this year, so I'm not giving up on it.

Yesterday I collected last season's hips from Pink Moss, Tuscany, Officinalis, Rosa Mundi, Violatea, the Conditorum seedling, the double marbled Gallica, and a strangle little seedling that must be a Chimera. I say so because for three or four years it produced perfect 1.5 inch medium pink rosettes with button eyes, and then last year one of the canes produced open center semi-double flowers and formed hips. This year that cane has not produced buds but I have the hips, which contain good seed, and will be curious to see what if anything germinates from them. I had always assumed that this little rose might be a cross of RdeResht and either Duchesse de Montebello or Belle Isis, but when the odd flowers appeared unexpectedly, I began to suspect that the pollen parent was Conditorum or Apothecary.

I am disappointed that my Rosa Mundi seedling did not bloom this year. Last year its one red flower suggested that Conditorum might have been its pollen parent. It is now nearly four feel tall and may have resented the move to a new location in early January although the fact that it is in a pot minimized any trauma from the move. Instead of making buds this spring it is putting on more growth and promises to be a vigorous and probably an aggressive rose.

Lindsey