Software
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_10034586689

IKEA Kitchen idea

5 years ago

Hi! I’m planning to renovate the kitchen and would like to know if anyone has used IKEA cabinets for their kitchen. I’ve asked for estimates from contractors for the kitchen and the costs has increased tremendously for a full renovation - cabinets, countertop, flooring, electric and plumbing. I am looking to cut costs and now thinking of IKEA cabinets, as the contractor’s cost of cabinets with labour is more than 12k in comparison to Ikea low cost Sektion high gloss cabinets. How can I cut costs for the kitchen? Any suggestions would be helpful.

Comments (13)

  • 5 years ago

    Here are pictures of how I’d like it to be after renovation

  • 5 years ago

    The walls measure 7 feet from the fridge and the other wall measures 14 ft

  • 5 years ago

    I disagree. We had Ikea's Traemond installers do the assembly and installation for $3000, including lots of molding and several cabinet alterations. My contractor did everything else. But he had no Ikea experience and would have cost me twice as much and taken three times as long. Use a contractor for everything except cabinets, and let Ikea do it. Beautiful cabinets, great functionality.

  • 5 years ago

    Sushipup1 did you get the ikea countertop also?

  • 5 years ago

    We have a 17+ year old IKEA kitchen. We are not particularly hard on our furnishings and I think it is still in terrific shape. It wasn’t on trend when I installed it, and it’s not on trend now LoL but we like it just fine. We did have contractor install, a finish carpenter did a lovely job. I however unpacked and put together all the carcases. Not sure how the new ikea installation system works but the old one was pretty good.

  • 5 years ago

    Thanks H B, good to know that its been so long you have the ikea kitchen,

  • 5 years ago

    No, we got granite at another place.

  • 5 years ago

    Just to clarify your original post. Your contractor quoted you about 12K for cabinets and installation. Is that correct? Or, is your contra tor's cabinet price about 12K more than the price of IKEA cabinets without assembly and installation?


    I intensively investigated IKEA and had planned to use them. I worked with several IKEA designers to come u with a plan using their cabinetry in my small U shaped kitchen. Depending on which cabinetry style I chose, cabinets themselves would have been between $5500 and $7500. My assembly and install quote from Traemand was around $2200. So, this should give you an idea of overall costs with IKEA.

  • 5 years ago

    Small kitchens can’t afford the size compromises that Ikea forces. There are better options at that level.


    https://www.houzz.com/discussions/5647040/white-shaker-battle-ikea-vs-the-rest-of-the-cabinet-world

  • 5 years ago

    Have had three IKEA kitchens (different apartments/houses), small and big. They have always been way cheaper than any other options (For all three I used some of their most expensive fronts) and they are great and easy to assemble and install. I’ve been very happy with them.

  • 5 years ago

    Thank you all for your comments. I tried to get an online appointment with IKEA planning to see how much would it cost for the RINGHULT high gloss white and VOXTORP high gloss beige and was able to get an appointment for first week of June and I also have a contractor visiting tomorrow so I can check the costs of flooring, plumbing, electric and countertop work. Hope to make some progress.

  • 5 years ago

    Hi. I used their online kitchen design tool before I went for my appointment. Saved time and also let me have time to decide on what I really wanted. They can then tweak the design. They were the cheapest and after 12 yrs. it looked the same as when we put it in.