GET IDEAS
tomtx37

New Home Floor Plan Selection

Tom Kumar

My pie-shaped lot has beautiful views of the Pond and a Lush green acreage, though the entire backyard will be facing direct West. I have come up with TWO-floor plan options for this single-story modern home. I need help in selecting one of the floor plans as I have listed, (what I considered to be) the Pros and Cons of each plan. Will appreciate the forum’s critiques/suggestions, etc. for each of the Floor Plan. Thanks!

• Tom Kumar

@Felix Pradas-Bergnes, thanks for showing the design modification. It looks great, as we had done this version, but later reconsidered with sort of creating a den/media combo room (top left in my design), instead of wasting space on a dedicated media room, which is kind of a must for us. I wonder, why you would create an interior patio when views are outside. Thanks anyway.

• Tom Kumar

@cpartist, my 2-story home plans were designed by an architect from our wishlist, which is now being scaled down to a single-story home.

Considering changing the entire first floor plan on new house plans - need advice

I like the floor plan. I find a foyer welcoming, and you can decide where you want people to go in your house -- your friend into the kitchen or the insurance salesman straight through to the living room. I agree that some consideration needs to be given to how to decorate the combined DR/LR space, but -- whether the kitchen wall stays or goes -- I would love to have that large space for flexibility to entertain a small or large group, without the kitchen in-between. Many people like the ktichen in the middle -- I think it's a matter of preference.

Flooring selection for new house.

We are ready to select flooring for a home under construction in SW Florida. The open areas includes large foyer, great room, dining room , kitchen and halls. We'd like to have a white wood floor but the true whites are too expensive the other pale woods have pink tints. Should we just use a large white tile? What about tile that looks like wood?

Bought new house - don't know how to floor plan!!

So here's what I suggest. As far as a coat closet, you may be able to create one on the backside of the stairs or build one there. Looks like you have room. You may want to extend the short wall by the fringe using a decorative wood divider panel just to give you a little more wall there for a chair. But still leave a 3'-0" walkway. In the kitchen, you may have room for an island and some sort of wall shelving for storage. You may be able to create an opening over the sink so you can see into the other room. I'd create a dining space in the back room using some sort of bench seating. Either built-in or free standing.

Need help with a floor plan design for a new home

Thank you for taking the time to reply back. I specifically need help in alternative designs or plans that I could use considering my current requirements. Even layout suggestions for better ventilation or optimum utilisation of space are welcome
  • Felix Pradas-Bergnes

Hi @Tom Kumar, the idea of an interior patio is to bring in light deeper into the house and also to provide for an outdoor space that is protected from the wind, or in the case of a family with small children, a place where the children can play and not be exposed to dangers outside.

Anyhow, here is a different conceptual arrangement of the spaces given the very fact that you have such great views. I hope this helps nurture further ideas. Cheers!

• Tom Kumar

HI Felix Pradas-Bergnes, thanks for yet another attempt to modify your draft, as i get your point of spreading out the house for an exterior view. However, where is the 'Big Patio', overlooking the pond view (from Kiten/dining/LR), as you are almost on the setback (build) line? Also, the prep kitchen, and pantry may be farther away from the main kitchen, which sort of defeats the purpose. I would prefer to have separate hallways for master and secondary bedrooms.

• chispa

I strongly suggest you work with a local architect, there is no comparison between face to face interaction and being able to do some brain-storming and sketching together, right at your kitchen table. You also want a local architect that will be available, if needed, for on site consultation as the build progresses.

Did you say where you are building? I have 2 good ones I can recommend in Los Angeles!

• Tom Kumar

@chiapa, thx for the offer of referral. I do have an architect.

• Felix Pradas-Bergnes

Hi @Tom Kumar, here is a quick flesh out of the floor plan I suggested with an aim to show the community the potential of an alternate conception of the resolution of spaces within such a lot. It is meant as food for thought. Cheers!

• Tom Kumar

HI Felix Pradas-Bergnes, yeah, it sure is an alternate option. Thanks for your help!

• marylut

Hi, Tom, This is not a concept house the like the V or curve shapes suggested above, but takes advantage of the pie shape lot and I have tried to make it accessible as you age in place. I also saw your preference for separate hallway for Master and another for guest wing. If the southern/western exposure for the public rooms will make them very hot and unbearable in daytime, you can flip the configuration so the BR are on that side and can cool off before bedtime.

• Tom Kumar

@Marylut, thanks for redesigning. However it is missing another bedroom and study, and front facing garage is not allowed per HOA.

THANKS to all forum members for providing excellent suggestions. I really appreciate it.

• marylut

Tx for informative feedback. You want 4 BRs, study, flex room, and gym?

• Tom Kumar

Hi Marylut,
    I need master plus 3 beds, study, GR, formal dining/nook combo (though most of the daily eats are on kitchen island), Den/media combo, work desk, prep-kitchen and pantry in very close proximity of main kitchen, utility, 3-car garage, big patio (500-600 sft) covering all public rooms, with A/C sft not to exceed 5k. Conceptually, I prefer @Felix prada-bergnes’ plan, though it needs improvement. Basically, my last posted plan needs improvement with laying out 2 more bedrooms while removing the stairs as we are now opting for a single story home. Thanks!

• Malcolm

@Tom Kumar honestly the two story plan has the best potential. If you can afford the size, why not? I would keep the second story and have an elevator as you likely will not use the secondary bedrooms no matter what level you are on and surely a house of this size has a house keeper to assist with keeping those upstairs rooms neat and tidy.

Further, I would eliminate that 4th garage in favor of your gym/exercise room and otherwise this house will have all of the pros and none of the cons you mention. Why not do that original plan?

RappArchitecture

I'm very late to this thread and have not read all the comments. To answer the OP's direct question, I think Option 2 is far better than Option 1. Having said that, one thing that stands out is all the spaces seem overly large, and I'm guessing that a smaller house would not only save money but provide a more welcoming home as well. I don't know if there is an architect involved, but if not there should be. A professional will accommodate all your needs in a way that best suits you and the site and will be well worth the extra cost.

• marylut

Tom, a few questions about your preferences...you want the den/study on south west corner, the hottest spot all day long in the house, right? And kitchen on west side, also hot all day long, right?

• marylut

Ooops, just Re-read my post, I meant “don’t want”.

• Tom Kumar

@ RappArchitecture, we are scaling down from a large 2-story plan (with an elevator) to a single-story plan. Yeah, rooms are rather large, but our needs require those spaces. Yeah, I do have an architect. Thanks.

• Tom Kumar

Hi Marylut, the entire lot (usable side) is facing west with gorgeous views. So I don’t know how I am going to avoid west exposure, other than using LowE 366 (the best) windows and roller shades to mitigate the sun exposure. We must have a den/media combo on the views side. Thx.

• marylut

What is your version of a prep kitchen? Is it a Butler’s pantry where the caterer sets up, mini sink, and serving ware is stored?

• Tom Kumar

Prep-kitchen is also referred to as ‘dirty or spice or culinary kitchen’. This is where heavy-duty (oily and spicy) items will be cooked (say 2 to 3 times a week). We do not need the butler’s pantry.

• Tom Kumar

@malcolm, you are correct about eliminating 4th garage, which we did and Gym was already there in our original 2-story plan (with an elevator), which we will keep. Two story plan is being scaled down for several reasons. After doing cost vs. benefit analysis, we are better off with a single story home. Thanks for your suggestions.

• Felix Pradas-Bergnes

Hi @Tom Kumar, here are some elevations of the floor plan I posted. I hope this serves as food for thought. Cheers!

• Tom Kumar

Hi Felix Pradas-Bergnes, elevation looks cool, though i am looking for a modern style with square rooms (not curvey bedrooms). Also, i wonder if the turning radius is tight since the study room is sticking out. Overall, great work! Thanks.

• Felix Pradas-Bergnes

Hi @Tom Kumar, the average outer turning radius for a four passenger car is 19'. There is comfortable space in that courtyard for all three cars to make it into the garage. The bedrooms are parallelograms with straight walls. The curve in the plan is actually the outline of the edge of the roof, both can be modified into 90° angles now that we can see the dimensions fit well within the setback limits. In terms of style, I mean for the overhangs protecting the walls from the sun to be metal grills. The one round room is the studio which could be easily turned into a square room as well. Best of luck. I'm looking forward to seeing pictures of your completed project overlooking Lake Travis. Cheer!

• Felix Pradas-Bergnes

Hi @Tom Kumar, here is an iteration of the floor plan with squared off spaces and the basic outline of the radius required to access the garage. The yellow are is a potential area for a gym room. There are many possible tweaks to further meet your needs. I added an area by the entrance of the guest suite to serve as a kitchenet if you deem that is a good idea. On occasion, it is good for the suite residents to be able to warm up meals and have access to ice and water without having to exit the space. Cheers!

• marylut

Loving the work Felix has done! Here is my feeble attempt at aging in place under 5,000sq ft.

• marylut

Because this is your forever home to age in place, it is wise to anticipate your physical challenges at age 90+? and incorporate accommodations in the floor plan design from the get-go (good lighting plan, no w/w carpeting, 3’6” wide hallways with 5’ turning radius at corners, lower light switches, the possibility of needing to house 24/7 attendant care, etc, etc)

• LH CO/FL

@marylut, do you mind sharing what software you're using? I've tried Sketchup, Sweethome and Homestyler, and still use all three, but always looking for options!

Tom Kumar thanked LH CO/FL
  • Tom Kumar

@Felix Pradas-Bergnes - I LOVE your plan!! It is along the same line as we were thinking, though, we never thought of moving study room where you have shown and think that it is a better location. I liked that yellow highlighted area as it would be perfect for an exercise room, or we were seriously thinking of moving the utility room closer to the master suite and other bedrooms. (Why tug clothes back and forth from all bedrooms). Thank you so much for doing this!!

• Tom Kumar

@Marylut, I liked your plan (and thinking through aging needs), especially it is below 5K SFT and has one extra bedroom. It is kind of very cozy and easily accessible from the central area, though I wonder why you kept such a huge entry/foyer (unless it is an open courtyard). Also, I wonder how a hallway passage (from the garage) through the eat-in kitchen will look and not having any windows in the main kitchen, especially from the resale standpoint. All in all, good option to consider. Thank you so much for your help! I really appreciate it.

• marylut

Hi, Leslie, it is a free app Interior Design for iPad, easy to learn and use, but is free so catalog has basic window, door, furnishings, and materials options. Catalog has standard room and furniture sizes that you can customize.

• marylut

The app lets you import an image of a floor plan or empty lot shape

• marylut

Hmmm, I left the large foyer empty to give you and your architect some options. 1. If you don’t need more rooms, create a grand entry. Could be used to add folding tables and chairs to host large holiday gatherings. At minimum a 8’ round rug and round display table, or marble or wood inlay floor to mimic a round rug. Add skylights or sawtooth windows, or octagon roof with windows around the base to bring in more natural light to that part of the home.

• marylut
    1. If you didn’t need more square footage in the foyer, and wanted more outdoor space at the front of the house without having to maintain a lawn, you could inset the front door and change the foyer into an outdoor courtyard or meditation garden using the driveway material .
  • marylut

So floor plan would look like this

• marylut
    1. If you enjoy growing your herbs and veggies, make the entry narrower, put a garden on the south wall outside the kitchen, move the kitchen over to the right, expand the 1/2 bath and coat closet and BR closet to the left.
  • marylut

Ooops, when I made flyer narrower above, I forgot to remove the wall at the DR end of the foyer.

• Tom Kumar

Hi Marylut, it looks a lot better now, though, I wonder what can be done to reconfigure the LR where the dining table is blocking the easy access. Anyway this is a good start as an option. Thanks again.

• marylut
    1. If you made the foyer narrower to 6’ wide, and center the front door, you have room on the left side for a studio with storage closet or built in desk nook, or built-in bookcases.
  • marylut

To answer your question about how the passage from garage through eat-in kitchen will look, it is really a wide open area rather than a passage, so plenty of room for Drop Zone and a family coat closet.

• marylut

In response to your concern about resale value if the kitchen is window-less, the kitchen would be fully open to the foyer and get natural light from the foyer and kitchen skylight and eat-in kitchen window. I think the resale value won’t be hurt (check local real estate agents) because the prep sink where the time consuming chopping will done is under a double window, and because many new-build kitchens have no kitchen windows. They plop the kitchen into the great room and put the sink in an island facing the family room. Additionally, dishwashers mean less time hand washing dishes ergo less time spent at the clean-up sink. The prep kitchen could be moved to the south wall, but that would make it a very warm to hot room before the boiling of water even began.

• marylut

BTW, the cafe table at the window is in addition to the seats at the kitchen island, where you say you enjoy eating many meals.

• Tom Kumar

@Marylut, yeah I do see your point about eat-in-kitchen room concept. However kitchen opening to the foyer is something I have not seen, but in this cozy plan, it may work out okay. Thanks!

• marylut

In response to concern about DR table orientation, I shrunk media room to 12’ wide (now is seating too close to TV?) to make great room wide enough to turn DR table 90*. That table seats 14 but still has 3’ for walking behind all chairs. Both LR rugs are 8x10s; conversation areas are most comfortable when seats are within 8’ of each other.

• marylut

Here is what floor plan looks like now.

• marylut

8 considerations in favor of original Great room arrangement...A great room is a huge room that allows for any configuration of LR and DR. If you need the DR table to always be extended to seat 14 once a week you still have 4 1/2 feet around the table on both sides so it will not block physical access to the LR, is low so you can see over table into LR beyond, a set table will look elegant from the front door, table will be closer to the Kitchen, diners will still have views of the pond for daytime meals but you say most meals are taken informally in the kitchen, it is probably dark outside at dinnertime anyway, DR does not need to be as a sun drenched as the LR, and it allows the LR to take full advantage of the sun and views and everyone is closer to the view instead of the front door. Here is what I mean with table sans leaves and walk-through view if table is fully extended

• marylut

Note about your concern for resale value, as your aging in place forever home, unless you plan to eventually move into a nursing home, the reality is that resale will be handled by the heirs to your estate.

• Felix Pradas-Bergnes

Hi @Tom Kumar, here is another edit of the floor plan I proposed. The square footage is plus or minus 4,553. This includes the storage room and the mud room but not the garage. I hope this arrangement works for you.

Also, if you want, you can add a door from your master bath into the laundry room, (behind the vanity) or an opening to transfer soiled laundry from your room into the laundry room around the corner. Cheers!

Here is another arrangement of the bathroom between the two bathrooms and some basic landscaping ideas in the courtyard area. Cheers!

• Felix Pradas-Bergnes

Here is another edition of the floor plan moving some rooms further north within the lot to maximize the enjoyment of the views. Cheers!