Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
linnnnie

double sink vanity?

Linnie
2 years ago

Our bathroom is approximately not quite 6 ft wide and 10.5 ft long. The 32” wide tub fits in at one end and we are left with 8ft of space for vanity. Believe it or not, in this 1.5 bathroom two story 120 yr old home, out family of four existed with a pedestal sink! We are remodeling now, retired, and thinking of resale a bit more than our needs. I do want a 60” vanity, which will leave approx 3 feet of space from the end of vanity to where tub starts (so could have the vanity made a bit longer, I suppose)./In that three foot space after vanity ends will be an awning window. Directly across from this three foot space, on the opposite wall, will be the toilet (next to tub).

1. Should I put in two sinks, or center one in the middle of 60” vanity? What do most people prefer? It’s the only bathroom upstairs (three bedrooms). It might be a tight fit for two larger sinks, but Kohler makes a round sink, 14” wide (Verticyl). We have one in the powder room and it is surprisingly roomy. I’m going to see if I can add a poll about sinks!

2. There is white woodwork throughout the house. Our doors are five panel and glass doorknobs. Directly in front of this vanity, on the opposite wall, will be our 32” white entry door and immediately next to that, an inset linen closet: approx 24-30” wide, either up to the ceiling, or as high as the bathroom door, I'm not sure which yet. Then the toilet. Then the tub. This linen cabinet will be 12 or 13” deep (or more if I borrow a bit more from the hallway closet), but because it is inset, it’ll only protrude into the bathroom approx 7 or 8 inches. I’m going to have it be painted white. But I’m thinking of a medium dark blue vanity with a white counter. Is that a strange combo? I love contrast, and love blue, but that might be dated? I wonder if it would be white, if that would be so much white wood (vanity, entry door with linen closet right next to it).

3. Due to age and style of home, I'm thinking I should stick to white subway tile? Any I deas there?

one slightly larger sink in 60” vanity
two 14” round sinks in 60” vanity.

Comments (26)

• Nick
    2 years ago

I've never seen the point of two sinks in a bathroom. I've never been in a situation where I've needed two or where I would want to share the bathroom with anyone. However, my preference seems to be a minority view. I would first consider whether you are likely to use two sinks and secondly whether your choice is likely to have a material impact on resale value. Go with what you think works for your family; I shouldn't attach a lot of weight to my bathroom preferences.

• arcy_gw
    2 years ago

100% agree with Nick. And besides no matter where we have lived how few bathrooms we have had, how many people lived in the home NEVER EVER has the bathroom been a room people "share".

• remodeling1840
    2 years ago

I always prefer two sinks when I have enough counter space. Go to work at the same? Going out to dinner together? Teenagers? One partner messy? Two sinks.

• PN _Bos
    2 years ago

We just upgraded to a 60" 2-sink vanity in our master bath. Honestly, we didn't care if we had 1 or 2 sinks, but after talking to a local realtor & our GC they convinced us to do 2 sinks.

• Lars
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

With two sinks, not only do you lose valuable counterspace, but you also lose valuable storage space beneath the sinks.

The only logical reason to have two sinks in a 60" wide vanity is that a messy person uses one sink and a neat person uses the other. Better to teach the messy person how to clean the sink or else just clean it yourself if the mess bothers you. Two people at a time at a 60" wide vanity will be bumping elbows (unless they are small children) - it simply is not practical. And why can't people wait 5 minutes for the use of a sink? If you want a practical bathroom, have a separate water closet.

• Mrs Pete
    2 years ago

I've never seen the point of two sinks in a bathroom. I've never been in a situation where I've needed two or where I would want to share the bathroom with anyone. However, my preference seems to be a minority view.

Minority opinion or not, I agree. More to buy, more to keep clean, and less storage.

Blue is a popular color right now,

Blue is always popular for bathrooms. Few people dislike blue, and I remember reading somewhere that blue bathrooms make houses sell for more money.

The only logical reason to have two sinks in a 60" wide vanity is that a messy person uses one sink and a neat person uses the other.

But the neat person will still be annoyed at a messy sink next to him or her.

• PRO
    Badeloft
    2 years ago

A practical and very popular decor choice in many bathrooms as two sinks are better than one. With a double vanity set up, two people can easily prep and use the same bathroom without any fuss as there is ample space for both them and their items.

• Linnie
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Look at the poll: evenly divided! Lol. I need to start moving on decisions as work starts in August, and so I appreciate your input. I might be able to do a 66” vanity so more elbow room. 14” sink x 2 =28”. 66” - 28” = 38” leftover counter space. As I said, after having two kids grow up in this house, with me and hubby, with a lone pedestal sink, that counter space will seem huge! And here’s a biggie: we put in the downstairs powder room. So for a hundred years one line bathroom for all the families before us! The linen closet/cabinet directly across from the vanity will have four outlets inside to charge husband's shaver, our electric tooth brushes, WaterPik and whatever else we might want to charge/store in there, so that will free up counter space and eliminate any need for an “appliance garage”/storage shelves on the counter between the two sinks like you sometimes see.

• chiflipper
    2 years ago

Previous house came with double sinks in the MB. One of them "died" before we were ready to do a complete remodel. To our surprise, that showed the second sink wasn't needed. Remodel done with one sink but, left the plumbing for it in place. New owner had the option to replace the countertop and add another sink with minimal effort and cost. IMO double sinks aren't worth the loss of storage.

• Helen
    2 years ago

I don't understand the necessity for two sinks either. The amount of time I spend over a sink is probably five minutes tops - to wash my face and to brush my teeth.

I recently remodeled and went from two sinks to one sink because the second sink served no function and I wanted to increase storage and counter space.

I sometimes watch the HGTV shows and often there are bathrooms where two sinks are squeezed in so there is almost no counter space. While I don't like to keep a huge amount of stuff on the counter, there are time when you do need a flat surface to put stuff on.

• Linnie
    Original Author
    2 years ago

If I go with one sink, for more storage and more counter space, what about mirrors? One mirror over the sink while someone else is using sink, leaves the other person (maybe doing make-up, drying hair, flat ironing, etc.) with no mirror to look into. Would it look odd to have three mirrors? One in middle over sink, and other two, same size, on each end? Or one huge 60” mirror from end to end? (From what I read, that mirror style is dated?) I know I like to stand off to the side of our current pedestal sink, open the medicine cabinet mirror and be a couple inches from it as I do my eyes, etc. so I could do same with this new vanity, if there was a mirror at the end. 🤷🏻‍♀️

• Connecticut Yankeeeee
    2 years ago

Hi Linnie - I may be in the minority but I like the idea of one big mirror. Years ago I removed the large mirrors in two of the kids’ bathrooms and replaced with smaller, pretty ones as was/is the style. Turns out, the kids like big mirrors for an overall view of outfits, etc. Just my humble opinion.

• Helen
    2 years ago

I converted my previous double sink into one sink.

I have a ceiling to counter mirror but the mirrors have different elements to demarcate them.

The portion of my counter which used to house a sink is now a vanity area and has a mirror with old style lighting.

The portion over the sink has a vague Art Deco treatment which you can see if you look closely. I also added Art Deco sconces.

I have much more usable storage than when I had two sinks and since most of my time in the bathroom is NOT spent over the sink, I have a much more comfortable area for grooming. The cabinet to the right of the sit down space was configured for hair tools and brushes and pulls out for easy access. There is also a plug in there. The cabinet to the left of the sitting area has rollouts and actually opens so that the interior is accessible when I am sitting down. The handle is on the other side but it is a "dummy" handle as the hinges are on the left.

I also have a roll out in the sink cabinet to prevent items getting lost at the back of the cabinet. I had it clad in formica so that it is easy to wipe down and clean when necessary.

ETA - Because you can't have enough mirrors to groom I have one of the attractive Simply Human Magnifying Mirrors for close up work. I use the wall mirror in the background to use when I don't need close ups. You can also install one of those pullout magnifying mirrors on the wall which many hotels have. The Simply Human mirror has LED lights that come up when it "senses" something moving towards it.

• Linnie
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Helen, beautiful bathroom! I also love your Idea of a roll-out feature! makes mental note :)

• Helen
    2 years ago

I spent a lot of time looking at storage possibilities. Mine were configured when the cabinets were made but there are a lot after market stuff which really adds functionality. I got so many incredible ideas looking at various configurations - I never would have thought that this stuff existed.

I added an addendum regarding mirrors to my last post - since I sit when applying makeup, my Simply Human counter top mirror is perfect for me but if you stand then you could install one of the good wall attached mirrors that telescope in and out Most of them flip so you have different levels of magnification.

• mimimomy
    2 years ago

I never knew there were so many other one-sink people out there. I thought I was the only one!

In a small bath, counterspace is better in my opinion, and makes the room look more spacious. Two sinks, each set 8" from the wall, and maybe 18" apart just looks silly to me. But that's me. Mrs. Pete is right about everything, and especially "But the neat person will still be annoyed at a messy sink next to him or her."

• Jamie Lee
    2 years ago

Since you mentioned resale, my husband and I paid for a two sink upgrade in our upstairs bath so our kids wouldn’t have to share a sink. (They are a bit Oscar and Felix.) Seeing two sinks in a house I’d be touring definitely would catch my interest.

• ci_lantro
    2 years ago

One sink in a 60" vanity. 5' just is not enough space for two people to be using it at the same time.

Besides double the expense in plumbing, you effectively kill 2/3 of the storage space because of the basins hanging down into the space plus the drains & water lines.

I have three 5' vanities in this house--so I know what the space feels like.

All have full 5' side to side mirrors, too. Besides being practical, an expanse of mirror makes a small space feel larger--and lighter.

Also, I would not use round sink/ sinks. That (and oval) are a dated look. I really like the rectangular style like in all the pix posted.

• Maureen
    2 years ago

• stiley
    2 years ago

I never would have thought that having two sinks would be controversial. I love having two sinks in the primary bath, and we're about to remodel the kids' bathroom and give them two sinks. That makes it simple for storage for two kiddos too -- each one has their own column of drawers. I guess it depends on how you use your bathroom. I currently have a vanity area that never gets used, as I prefer to stand over the sink to do hair and makeup.

For mirrors, the trend is going back to one large full-wall mirror, and mount your sconces on top of it. That seems to make practical sense too, as you get more mirror space and solves the problem of "how many mirrors?".

If you like blue, go for it, although maybe choose a fresher color than navy or true blue. Or incorporate the blue through tile. Or do a wood vanity and paint the linen cabinet blue. Although I love these wallpapered options, I'm guessing they're in bathrooms that don't use the shower a lot. Or maybe wallpaper technology has advanced where the steam wouldn't make it fall? But these rooms also use blue in other places which is what I'm trying to show.

• nicole___
    2 years ago

Two sinks! Do over the toilet storage....tons of cute cabinets for that.

• Mrs Pete
    2 years ago

If I go with one sink, for more storage and more counter space, what about mirrors? One mirror over the sink while someone else is using sink, leaves the other person (maybe doing make-up, drying hair, flat ironing, etc.) with no mirror to look into. Would it look odd to have three mirrors?

One large mirror. It's neater, cleaner, doesn't chop your room up into bits.

Two sinks! Do over the toilet storage....tons of cute cabinets for that.

Not nearly as convenient as drawers at the sink, and always the possibility of dropping your things into the toilet (especially kids).

• Nancy in Mich
    2 years ago

I also went to one sink with the plumbing left in the wall for anyone who wanted to remodel. I like having the sink on one end of the 60” vanity and room to work in front of the mirror on the other end.

• Helen
    2 years ago

Not to mention that over the toilet storage is - at least to me - a bit down market looking.

It immediately gives the impression that there is not enough real storage in the bathroom and the owners had to gerryrig additional storage.

If one is remodeling and going through the expense why would one want to deliberately use something that is generally used in existing bathrooms when there isn't enough built in storage in the home and bathroom.

I think it's a lifestyle choice. Either you feel that having two sinks is something that enhances your life. However, as this thread points out, for many people there are reasons why one sink is not necessary and might be preferable.

If one has a large vanity, then it is moot because one can have two sinks and plenty of storage and counter space. Also if two people are actually using two sinks at the same time, they have plenty of elbow room. What I think looks weird and doesn't seem to be particularly functional is when there is a relatively small vanity which was obviously intended to hold one sink and it is then turned into two sinks which are close together; have little space between the sinks; eliminate valuable accesible storage in the vanities; take away functional counter space and aesthetically look sqashed together.

• Nick
    2 years ago

I think whether over the toilet storage is down-market looking probably depends on the type of toilet. If the cistern is built into the bathroom units or wall then I think it looks fine. All you see is the storage and counter surface running along the top. If it's one of the old-style, more standalone toilets, then I tend to agree with you.