Software
Houzz Logo Print
regan_haines

Master Closet layout feedback wanted

5 years ago

HI, looking for feedback and suggestions on his and hers master closets in new home build. Can't change overall dimensions but looking for suggestions on keeping closets separate with nice pocket doors or opening up to create one large walk through closet. Thanks in advance for any ideas and suggestions!



Comments (11)

  • 5 years ago

    I would prefer seperate closets since you have the room.

    Regan Haines thanked Valinta
  • 5 years ago

    Keep them separate. This is similar to my house and I am glad to have my own closet. They are designed differently with more poles for hanging clothes on my side, plus one pole for long dresses. My husband’s side has more shelves. Make sure to have good lighting and a valet rod in both.

    Regan Haines thanked RedRyder
  • 5 years ago

    I'm ambivalent about single vs. double closets, but the way you've laid this out works with your bathroom ... and since all the pieces of your design need to work together, I say leave it as is. Also, if you were to make this one closet, it would feel too narrow ... the closet size, as it appears now, works.


    I like that the bathroom is compact, but it has some problems:

    - Your vanity is 6'4", and that's not enough to support duplicate sinks AND knee space. You'll have literally NO drawer space at the sink.

    - The toilet-closet is a mess. Note that the bathroom door "rests" in a 1'8" indentation, which means it slightly overlaps the toilet-closet door. And consider that you won't be able to close the door to the toilet-closet. Look at the picture and imagine where you'd stand while closing the door ... you have two choices: 1) on top of the toilet or 2) squished between the toilet and the wall.

    Regan Haines thanked Mrs Pete
  • 5 years ago

    As to the toilet - do you really want to have the toilet in the same amount of space as a toilet stall at Walmart?

    Regan Haines thanked mainenell
  • PRO
    5 years ago

    Closets are ok - keep in mind on the one side it really only has a step in floor space of 24" once everything is hanging. The bathroom layout - not so sure about it. I dislike toilet rooms and keep in mind the door should never swing in - in case of emergency. The shower isn't that wide and seems shoved in there. The vanity , with a knee space will leave you with hardly any storage. Then there is a hug tub area!

    Are you big tub users? If not - I would rethink this...

    Get with a designer ( your kitchen designer should be able to do this for you ) . Have them put it in the computer so you can see a 3 d perspective.

    Think this through further - try some different layouts

    Regan Haines thanked Debbi Washburn
  • 5 years ago

    Thanks Debbie, if we did away with the tub, any suggestions on how to reconfigure the space and gain area for a larger shower, water closet and vanity? Thanks do much for the feedback.

  • 5 years ago

    I might consider making the width of the closet 7' and get hanging on 2 sides, which will increase your available hanging space from 17.5' to 21' (not including the end wall, which would still have about 3' for a dresser). I would center the doorway and leave it open so it's just a frame.

    You could consider the bathroom layout. Use a pocket door for the water closet (not labeled here). Not sure if the dimensions will work out. You may need to take a few inches from the master bedroom, and I'm not sure what the width of the bump is.




    Regan Haines thanked anj_p
  • 5 years ago

    As to the toilet - do you really want to have the toilet in the same amount of space as a toilet stall at Walmart?

    Add to that, no one likes using toilet stalls ... so why build one in your own home? Divided bathrooms are almost always a mistake.

  • 5 years ago

    Honestly there has been enough discussion on houzz about water closet preferences. People are either firmly opposed or wouldn't have it any other way, and for whatever reason on this topic no one can possibly conceive that others might have a different preference. No one seems to get that it's all opinion. Maybe a WC is a mistake FOR YOU, but I can tell you from personal experience, barring having my own bathroom entirely (a girl can dream), I'd much rather have a toilet in a separate room. Your opinion may be different, but it is just that. If it bugs you that much, leave the door open.

    I have to live in a place where the master bathroom doesn't have a WC for the next 6 months. I've been here for 2, and I CAN'T WAIT to get my WC back. Having to wait to get into the bathroom while we're both getting ready for work in the morning is a total PITA. (Oh, and my next house will have closet through bathroom. Definitely not my choice, but at least we can still close the door on the toilet room so we can both access the closet without imposing on each other's privacy).

    Regan Haines thanked anj_p
  • PRO
    5 years ago

    Funny I would not do pocket doors here. They will never be shut... I would do a hinged door opening against the blank wall (obviously would have hooks behind the door for belts and ties...) I would have the overhead light on a jamb switch so when the door is open the light is on- no good place for a switch anyhow.

    Regan Haines thanked HALLETT & Co.