GET IDEAS
SHOP BY DEPARTMENT
joan_lebow

bonsai identification

joan lebow
last month

these bonsai are outside, on a full sun deck facing south in Chicago. can anyone help identify them?

Comments (6)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    last month

why do you think its bonsai???

cant really focus on the leaves/needles.. but its one of the curly pines ...

can you count the leaves in a sheath bundle.. that is how you start the ID of pines ...

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=pine+sheath+bundle&t=ffcm&iax=images&ia=images

confers are trees .. tree time is counted in decades ... im wondering why you are asking .. because this thing has been a bit abused.. it can probably be renovated.. but it might be a very long time before you make it look like much of anything... for the yard i mean .. im not coming at this from the bonsai angle ...

are you new to the house??? .. is this something left by the prior owner???

ken

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    last month

Yes, closer pic would help. Off the cuff I’d say Pinus parviflora.

tj

• Sara Malone Zone 9b
    last month

White pine of some kind. If not parviflora, strobus. But parviflora would be my bet, too.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    last month

Just an FYI but "bonsai" is a growing and training process, not a specific type of plant. You can bonsai just about anything if you have the skill.

The plant in question is just a dwarf form of pine and I see no effort having been made to convert it to bonsai, as bonsai'd plants are always grown in a container and pruned/trained to keep miniaturized.

• David Olszyk
    last month

"bonsai" literally means "plant in a container" ... so this is definitely NOT a bonsai.

It looks like one of the dwarf, Pinus strobus 'Torulosa' descendants like:

• 'Mini Twists'
    • 'Tiny Kurls'
    • 'Vercurve'
    • 'Squiggles'
    • 'Wiggles'
    • 'Green Twist'

All 6 are remarkably similar.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    last month

i will complete my thoughts on the state of this plant.. when i know if this is a new house.. and i wont hurt anyones feelings by what i see here .. lol ..

another definition of bonsai .. is that it is a severe root pruning procedure.. that causes the plant to respond with dwarf growth ... and then you get all fancy with the above ground part.. to make it look ancient .... but the root pruning is the key ...

ken