Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alexina_alonso

Vinyl windows. SDL grids, or no grids?

Alexina Alonso
2 years ago

Hi!! Just bought a home. Traditional, white brick, two-story, forest-y. All windows need to go.

I am limited to vinyl (womp).

Do I go with SDL grids (These would be on the exterior of the glass, NOT sandwiched between panes). Or, because they are vinyl: do I just skip grids all together?

Will do a mix of double hung and picture windows all around.

Is there any way that no-grids looks ok on a traditional home??

Comments (19)

• oberon476
    2 years ago

Why do the windows need to go?

I think that it would look fine without grids.

Alexina Alonso thanked oberon476
  • PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    2 years ago

+1. I like them "gridless" to be honest.

Alexina Alonso thanked Windows on Washington Ltd
  • Lyn Nielson
    2 years ago

windows need to be cleaned regularly, grid or no grid. Cleaning windows with grids takes some time, Go with what you like.

If you need to pull back on the budget, no grid will look just fine, it's a matter of taste. good luck.

Alexina Alonso thanked Lyn Nielson
  • PRO
    HomeSealed Exteriors, LLC
    2 years ago

SDL's add a nice, high end look, but they are a bear to clean as mentioned above. Is there a reason that you are only considering SDL's or no grids at all, and not GBG (between glass)? GBG retains the look, but costs much less than SDL and is as easy to clean as no grids. I'm a fan of grid-less windows as well, although I'm not so sure that I'd get rid of them on that home.. at least on the street facing side(s).

• User
    2 years ago

no grids. it looks super fake from the side that doesn't have them (in your case, the inside) and I think they're dated. besides, as PP mention, they make the windows a pain in the butt to clean.

• ptreckel
    2 years ago

You might consider four over one or six over one or even two over two grid patterns. It needn’t be the most traditional 6 over 6 or 9 over 9. Can you experiment with what you have now? Are the muntins inside the panes or outside of them? Can you remove off bottom window’s muntins to see what that looks like with muntins on top? Just a thought….

• rustynail
    2 years ago

Another for no grids.

• Alexina Alonso
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thanks all!

• PRO
    2 years ago

Most windows with SDL's have the grid on interior, exterior, and between the glass, so it looks the same from both sides. I wouldn't factor that into the decision.

• PRO
    HALLETT & Co.
    2 years ago

No grids are fine as are the mixed option like 6/1 or 2/1

That juniper seems super close to your front steps...

• Em
    2 years ago

@HomeSealed Exteriors, LLC donyou happen to know approximately how much SDLs add to the cost vs GBGs?

• Window Genius
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

SDL grids are very expensive and definitely much more than GBG grids.. GBG= grids between the glass.

• Em
    2 years ago

@Window Genius is it usually pretty easy for a window company to give you a quote for both?

• PRO
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

As far as pricing, think about it this way: GBG's are one "set" of grids between the glass. SDL's have the same thing, in addition to two more sets (one interior and one exterior). These are arbitrary numbers, but if GBG is $100 per window, the SDL's would therefore be something like $300 +/-. This isn't an exact science as GBG's may be priced "per window" and SDL's "per lite", but it should be in that general vicinity in terms of the ratio.

Yes, it should be relatively easy for a window company to give you at least a reaosnable idea of where they would land on both.

• Karen
    2 years ago

Em - I just installed Kolbe Forgent windows made of Glastra (a proprietary fiberglass type material) a couple of months ago. On my invoice, the surcharge for PDLs (they call them performance divided lights, but look like SDLs) was $140 for each 35x72, 2 over 3 lite casement Windows.

I love them!

• Amy10N
    2 years ago

Have a grid repair question, if crooked, does it require full window replacement? Appreciate any info that can be shared. I do like grids depending on house and if 4 or 6 light.

• PRO
    2 years ago

It would virtually never require replacement of the full window, but what needs to be repalced depends on what type of grids. A new IGU will suffice for GBG (between glass). A new sash panel would be needed in most cases for SDL's. If they happen to be removeable grids ( I presume that they are not), that could be a simple adjustment or replacement of the grids only if damaged.

• Amy10N
    2 years ago

Thank you for the responses, they are GBG. Have a builder meeting coming up and will seek update on how they will address it. We wouldn’t hold up a CO for this but we definitely will need it repaired.