skru33

High gloss out?

skru33

Hi. I am redoing my kitchen. We have decided upon warm white gloss for perimeter of kitchen and light grey gloss for the island with a blanco orion (marble look) counter. Cabinets are slab style and look is quite modern. I went into a kitchen store yesterday and the designer really discouraged going high gloss, stating that he follows european design, and nothing out of Europe is glossy these days.

I chose glossy as using this product will allow for the most durable cabinets (3 kids and 2 dogs). What are your thoughts? Hate to pick something that will soon look dated.

HALLETT & Co.

Matte is becoming popular and they have better quality finishes now (matte used to be hard to keep clean). That said high gloss has been a style for decades (Hollywood regency, 80’s glam, etc) so I see matte as another option not gloss being out. (Full disclosure I just put a gloss white and matte walnut kitchen in my house so maybe I’m projecting)

skru33 thanked HALLETT & Co.
    Beth H. :

agree w/hallett. gloss has been around for decades.

If you want ultra modern, it's still in style, always will be.

If all you're worried about is cleaning, then check out the matte/laminate overlay finishes. they're actually quite nice.

I'd also wouldn't go too warm on the white shade. You don't have to do a blinding white, but you don't want creamy either.

Porcelain high gloss tile vs non gloss

No high gloss! Some idiot put that in my home before we bought it and it was so dangerous. I ended up doing the splits when I was eight months pregnant because a few drops of water splashed on it Hated that tile.

Dura Supreme Alectra High Gloss Acrylic vs. Omega High Gloss Acrylic

I am getting read to order the white high gloss acrylic from omega dynasty. My understanding is that there is only one manufacturer that makes these doors for all brands, and that there are 3 colors, white, gray and black. I just saw a sample Omega dynasty door, and was surprised to find a very small edge of something that goes over the face of the front of the doors -- it felt rather sticky and I could actually rub dirt into the border between this covering and the shiny acrylic. I'm trying to get more information on this ...anyone out there please help ..especially pros/designers/owners. If it is true that there is only one manufacturer of acrylic, then there would be no difference between the finish on Dura and Omega.

Trim paint - high gloss or semi gloss?

I would go with semi-gloss. If in doubt, ask your paint pro to see what they think of your home's style, your area, the sunlight, etc. Bring pics to the paint store with you. I would only ask at a real paint store, though, as some of the other places may not have an expert at the desk. Hope this helps!

Semi gloss or high gloss 2 pac shaker cabinets?

They should be sprayed, off site, in a clean room, with a conversion varnish by an expert finisher. Not glopped house paint on site with bugs and dust.
  • everdebz

A mention that Ikea sells high gloss, but that's Ikea [and that's fine].

• Jennifer Ronhaar_Wilson

More recent Modern finishes tend to be matte, not glossy. FYI my background is in interior design....

• chispa

I think the most important thing is that it relates to the rest of the house and the way it will be decorated.

If you are doing this kitchen in a typical suburban center entrance colonial and your furnishings are transitional in style, then a high gloss kitchen would not be appropriate for the space.

Joseph Corlett, LLC

The white/gray kitchen thing can't be over quickly enough for me, gloss or matte.

• ldecor54

Like the gloss. it will look good long term

• everdebz

Entire kitchen in a regular house, maybe not. Would this set of Ikea white be called more an accent ?

From houzz: Loft / ceiling contrasts with white, etc. Red wall panels, custom stained.

Y Loft · More Info

• Nancy K

@Joseph Corlett, LLC

”The white/gray kitchen thing can't be over quickly enough for me, gloss or matte.”

This absolutely cracked me up!!! I so agree, but glossy is even worse. Who wants cabinets that look like plastic…unless it is to match a plasticky wannabe marble countertop? I would have to put sunglasses on to walk in a kitchen like this.

• everdebz

Lighting matters, as to whether a material shines. No one wants glare, but specialty lighting is supposed to much reduce that.

• cawaps

The vast majority of Americans have no idea what's trending in European kitchens, so I don't think that has any bearing on your choices looking dated soon (unless you are in Europe). And gloss has never been super common in the US, it's been more of a steady-state small share of the market for a long period of time, which will keep it from being datable .

On the other hand, as others have less-than-kindly observed, gray and white is a combination that is likely going to date your kitchen. Ten years ago, virtually no one did gray cabinets and now they are everywhere. I fear that gray and white cabinets will be to this period what cathedral oak was to the 90s, which is to say, people 20 years from now will hate them and want to tear them out, probably with an eye roll and an "Ugh, what were they thinking." There's nothing wrong with the colors, it's just that whenever everybody seems to be doing the same thing, backlash seems inevitable.

skru33 thanked cawaps
  • skru33

I appreciate all these comments. I think I will keep the white gloss, but go without the grey!

• kudzu9

I've never remodeled with the thought in mind that I wanted to catch the wave of whatever the next trend was. My criterion is: Do I like it? If you like it, that's all that matters. And I'll be happy to sell the 50 year old avocado-colored blender up in my attic to any designer that thinks they can predict trends.

• kathylawyer

I like the white gloss!

• Nancy K

Everyone has different tastes. I guess that is good. Otherwise, things would be pretty boring. However, I really wish people would get what THEY want instead of worrying what the rest of the herd is doing.

• Jennifer Ronhaar_Wilson

There IS a good reason to keep an eye on what is current in terms of interior design decisions: a dated interior impacts your home’s resale value!

• Jennifer Ronhaar_Wilson

By the way my background is in interior design...this open forum is not the best way to get interiors advice. All you are getting is the same opinions you would get if you asked random people their thoughts in the grocery store, lol.

• Tom S

White kitchens have always been around. They've never gone away. Gray is a polarizing color and has always been polarizing. All kitchens date. Just do what makes you happy.

• chispa

My kitchens have been white, stained, stained, stained and next kitchen will be white, because I want a change from having stained kitchens for the last 18 years. Trends are irrelevant. Main consideration is that the kitchen fit within the style of the home.

@Jennifer Ronhaar_Wilson, you aren't the only one here with interior design background, so plenty of the opinions found here are as relevant as yours, maybe more! By the way, we have also seen horrible work done by Interior Designers on this forum, so your opinion isn't necessarily the be all and end all.

Some of us don't live our lives based on our home's resale value! I put in Mahogany cabinets when everyone was doing gray, because it fit perfectly in a Spanish style house. Next owner can paint them whatever darned color they choose!

• Nancy K

@Jennifer Ronhaar_Wilson

”There IS a good reason to keep an eye on what is current in terms of interior design decisions: a dated interior impacts your home’s resale value!”

There is no way I am spending my hard earned money on a kitchen I do not like in the hopes that it will be trending 15 years from now when I sell my house. I do what I like.

As far as opinions from forum members being inferior to those of if designers, an average joe is who is going to buy my house, not a designer. And any designer who claims to be able to predict trends years from now is not a designer I would use.

• Maureen

White high gloss has been around forever, especially in Europe and I’m sure will continue. I actually had been looking at house listings in London recently and noticed many revonated kitchens had high gloss cabinets; hope some of these examples/combinations help in your decision. The other decor choices will have a part in its longevity, especially flooring for some warmth and be sure your home in general will suit.

• Kate

Just a thought maybe add wood where the grey cabinets are and pair with the glossy. I’m not a designer:-)

skru33 thanked Kate
  • Jennifer Svensson

They are correct: is not ‘in’ in Europe. That said, it’s not ‘out’ either- it’s just one of the options and happens to be a lesser used one right now. Super matte has been the leading trend for a few years already. Wood is back, slatted fronts are back. That said, do the kitchen that YOU want to live and work in- IMO that’s more important.

• Liz H

If I could afford to replace my cabinets, I would go high gloss for the clean lines and modern look. Keep the grey if you like it (of course my kitchen is dark grey and I think it’s beautiful). I also like the modern kitchens with the pops of color— deep reds, bright orange or yellows. Depending on how long your family plans to stay in the home, it doesn’t matter what’s trending today or tomorrow (we can’t predict 5 or more years). Do what makes you happy.

• jdesign_gw

The question was ”will it look dated”. It wasn‘t “why can’t I do what I want”. Regarding the latter of course you can it’s your house and your ”hard earned money” . As far as looking dated well that depends on to who. To people who have very limited exposure to good design to compare it to or to an eventual buyer or to people such as interior designers that see countless examples of all levels of custom kitchens on a weekly basis. I pretty much study European kitchens as part of my job because I build them. The high-end brands that everyone has heard of as well as many even more exclusive. It’s true that matte finishes are by far the most prominate and have been for manys years now in Europe. It’s not that I never see high gloss but most of the time it’s paired with a warm wood. As far as the grey/white combination they don’t really do that the way it‘s thought of here. Warmer grey not blue grey and again paired with wood. All shinny white and shiny light gray does look dated to me but in my kitchen I can do what I want and so should you.

• Gerry

I bought my late 80s condo two years ago and I loved the well-made white glossy cabinets. I swapped out the counters with soapstone and its perfect for me. I don’t care about trends anymore after I sunk $40,000 into my “Tuscan” kitchen 15 years ago.

I also am a designer and IMO you choose what you love not what is in . I was told this kitchen would impede the sale of my house hugley and sold in 11 days for over asking the kitchen sold the house .I have a high gloss white kitchen in my new to me house now and I mixed it with stainless cabinets just like I did in the old house. ' Do what you love and stop worrying about waht is the next trend . BTW get polished granite for the counter not quartz I think quartz is going to be the dated item soon. Also get an actul KD not some salesperson in a cabinet shop.

skru33 thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • Nancy K

@Patricia Colwell Consulting I like your kitchen. So refreshing to see something different. I get tired of looking at so many kitchens that look like carbon copies.

• skru33

Yes so unique and full of character. Thanks to everyones advice we will stick with the high gloss which I have determined is a classic and go with my original plan of a walnut island. I was persuaded into grey not too have too many woods competing, but we will make other adjustments!

The Kitchen Place

I love slab, high gloss doors...especially the ACRYLIC ones! Go for it! I've always loved inset cabinetry in my old vintage homes....but maybe upon retirement, I'll move in to a downtown, funky loft and get my glossy, modern slab kitchen!

skru33 thanked The Kitchen Place