Software
Houzz Logo Print
sunbeam20946

help deciding on proper fireplace mantel.

5 years ago

We are updating our fireplace. We don’t want to paint the brick we both agree it’s not for us. We may paint the grout white if necessary but I’d love some input on what anyone thinks is better.
Thanks in advance

rustic beam
traditional white

Comments (24)

  • 5 years ago

    It really depends on your furnishings and decor in the space...are they more traditional or more rustic? Also, I'd consider retiling the hearth no matter what direction you go. It really doesn't "go" with either option (or the brick).

  • 5 years ago

    I'd combine the two options with a thick white mantle without the sides, painted the same color as the built-in units. Or a less rustic beam, the color of the brick grout. My guess is that you tried to update the hearth? If you're going to keep that tile on the hearth, the only fix is to paint all the brick in one of those white/cream colors.

  • 5 years ago

    Ya we just did that tile, it’s a big improvement it was just large black on black before. The rest of the house is definitely more traditional. We’re trying to brighten the space up.

  • 5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

    I think #1 would look better if the hearth tile had less white in it. More in a golden syrup-sandstone direction, caramel….

    I think #2 needs larger tiles on the hearth. Not subway tile — maybe something in the direction of an elongated hex tile?


    Axis 2.6"x13" Polished Elongated Hex Ceramic Wall Tile, White · More Info


  • 5 years ago

    I would not do a big white surround. The fireplace is its own thing. It should be the star. You don't want a mantel that calls attention to itself and calls attention to how discordant it is with the fireplace, "look at me I'm a big honkin' white surround slapped onto a huge brick fireplace!" The white shelving units next to the fireplace call attention to themselves, which is good, it highlights what you are displaying and counterbalances the fireplace. The fireplace, is contrasting and I think it looks good, everything in a home does not have to be white or grey or black. But why add a contrasting mantel that will do nothing but call attention to itself too, and for what reason, who wants to focus in on the mantel. Get something that blends with the fireplace. The art looks good too, just the right amount of white and interest but not too much. In your second example with the white surround, your eye is drawn to the surround, not the art, which is not what you want . . . I love the first option, or even something a tad more low key. Three stars--shelving, fireplace and art are enough for the space. With a low key mantel they all play nice together.

  • 5 years ago

    We’re debating staining the brick white now. What art are you referring to? Do you think the tile on the hearth is an issue?

  • 5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

    The white is more formal. Your built ins beside the fireplace are white and if they are to stay white, consider matching the white color.

    Remember that any brick painted will, inevitably, need to be repainted and can begin to look awful as it gets that way. At the very least , make sure it is entirely clean before either painting or staining it to have the color last longer. If you do decide that you don't like the multi-color brick, instead of painting the brick white, consider staining it a slate color ... a light to medium gray .

  • 5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

    The brick looks fine. I like your first example since the white surround in the second photo looks too formal with the brick. It also pulls a lot of focus. I'm not a pro but the tile isn't working for me. For one thing, you've got pattern in the brick, pattern in the floor with the wood grain, and the tile adds more pattern. Something solid would have been better, or just having the brick exposed on the hearth.

    I know this is different but this brick fireplace is surrounded by light walls and light crown molding. I think the mantel color blends nicely.


  • 5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

    Well, I classified what was above the mantel as "art" meaning clock, planter, candlesticks. Probably too broad of a categorization. The fact that those decorative items have a bit of light grey, white in them seems good to me as far as "tying things together." Not really bothered by the white tile, it's on the floor so low key. I know you will get a lot of advice to paint the brick on here, creating a wall of white. It's the "go to" one size fits all solution but I'm not in favor of doing it just for the sake of doing it or satisfying someone else's love of all white rooms. Or painting it black due to love of black and white color schemes. I love the warmth of real brick, and as Chloebud's photo illustrates, it's not necessarily a downside to a room. I think you just have to decide how you feel about it. I'd ponder examples of rooms with and without natural brick, and see what spoke to me the most. Natural colors and textures speak to me, all white reminds me too much of an out-take from 2001 Space Odyssey. YMMV.

  • 5 years ago

    "I think you just have to decide how you feel about it."

    Good point! We're all different with what appeals. I was just going with your comment about not wanting to paint the brick.

  • 5 years ago

    Your brick looks like real, authentic substantial brick, with loads of variation and character, while so many other brick fireplaces look like it is brick veneer, or painted to be uniform.


    So i wouldn’t touch the actual brick

  • 5 years ago

    What's a big clock doing in a space of relaxation?


    IMO, what's needed is a great piece of art to gaze at--a landscape or skyscape in a palette that ties together the rug, fireplace, walls. Below, the birches echo the wood mantel and the white bookcase.

    Cooler Minds Prevail, Original By Tatiana Iliina, Art · More Info


    Clouds Roll, Stretched Canvas Wall Art · More Info


    Big chunky logs in fireplace. Simple candles and art on mantel.

    Publications · More Info



  • 5 years ago

    I don’t know. I like the brick. The clock looks fine. I have a problem with a landscape on a brick wall.

  • 5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

    @ital mover: I'm curious as to the problem. To me, bricks come from the earth, so a landscape or a skyscape you can gaze up at from a sofa in front of the fire seems to reflect that--trees, outdoors. woods, skyetc. I like a big bunch of logs in a fireplace, a basket of them on the hearth, and a great outdoor painting above. My problem with with these living room clocks in a space of relaxation. Each to his/her own.

  • 5 years ago

    @housegal200 brick doesn’t disapppear the way the blank space of a smooth wall does — and even then it helps to frame a landscape very noticeably to create an artificial window into a world beyond. Brick is very industrial and geometric, so I think to hang art on it, the feeling and logic of it best if it is an industrial era or a modern portrait or photo. One reason the clock doesn’t bother me Is that it is an industrial era object. Mantle clocks are traditional, so it doesn’t bother me to see them there.


    But I just like this particular brick and I wouldn’t make a landscape compete with it



  • 5 years ago

    Thank you for your explanation, ital mover, especially about the mantel clock. I love antique mantel clocks. But decor item clocks in the living room make me feel as if it's time to go home and go to bed! But what matters is what the OP thinks.

  • 5 years ago

    I've read houzz clock opinions. Possibly the experience and personality of those with 'concrete' style see an object -clock. "Intuitives" are more likely to see a meaning/ metaphor. I see a sense of history, and not so much "the moment's objective" you could say: "I see evidence-clock that I'm on a schedule" [not enjoyable]

  • 5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

    How individuals react to the presence of clocks (and wristwatches) seems to be a complete mash-up of traditional culture and direct personal association. For instance, where I live, prior to the invention of clocks, church bells were rung to tell people what time it was, and “time” was not ”8 in the morning” but ”time to go to church”. ”Time to say this prayer”, but the underlying meaning was also ”time to get up” and ”time to stop work”. When mechanical clocks were invented, villages showed that they were now ”modern” by putting huge clocks on their ancient bell towers — and today, most of them are stuck on some hour that means they are only right twice a day, but they still ring the bells correctly on the hour, quarter hour and half hour, so that is actually what most of us go by to know it is 5.45, etc

    In European homes the family clock takes on a different meaning and has a different placement depending on which country you are in. In America, the overall dominant idea of clocks seems to be that they are slave-drivers, forcing people to hurry, no matter where you find them.

    But clearly individuals have purely personal positive or negative reactions to timepieces. I don’t like clocks in entryways. I love clocks in kitchens and often have several. My husband loves world clocks. I dislike clocks in bedrooms despite the necessity (I have never found one I like, and am glad cell phones now have alarms on them). I really dislike above all the sound of a ticking clock, whereas others have very pleasant memories of it as a soothing, reassuring sound. I think one of the most beautiful objects of time is an hourglass. I loved them even as a kid.

    Reading other people’s reactions to clocks on Houzz has made me think more about where to put them where guests would see them in my house.

  • 5 years ago

    I love how this Dilemma led to this clock discussion. I do find old clocks--grandfather clocks, mantel clocks, railway clocks, vintage and vintage inspired kitchen clocks with second hands-- beautiful while useful. But the big "decor" clocks seem to be a passé fad that don't really have a purpose except as a decor item. It actually looks fine on the OPs fireplace, but I just don't get it. I

  • 5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

    The origins of the word ”decoration” were to cover up blemishes. you see that a lot more clearly in many old european structures where somebody made lemonade out of the lemon of a needed drainpipe or mismatched materials of a repair by decorating over the offending spot in an elaborate way. part of the revolt of modernism was to do away with non=funcfunctional decoration, and to leave pipes and grout exposed etc

    so people who buy large things to cover the blemish of empty space are truly decorating. some of the modernists are just ideologues following ”rules” they’ve internalized. but i think it is also tru that most people have a very strong sense of what ”order” means for a living space, even if it differs for everybody. so a clock will look in the ”wrong” place to some while others think an empty mantle needs a clock

  • 5 years ago

    The clock is visible from the kitchen and I use it often to tell time but to be honest it originally went up because of a post seen on Instagram. The clock works for us our kitchen (adjacent to the fireplace) is white with with touches of grey mostly in the countertop so it kind of tied it together. Here is a photo of the fireplace not photoshopped. The more I think about what to do the more I lean to just leaving it as is

  • 5 years ago

    Leaving it as is works! I personally would add a hearth rug. I usually like the really old fashioned kind, but with an area rug being so close by, maybe I would just pick a solid.



    Chocolate Hearth Rug · More Info

    I like the shape of those, or a rectangle as opposed to a traditional half-round. If I could get away with another pattern so near the area rug, this is my favorite kind


    Loloi Transitional 2'-3" X 3'-9" Hearth Area Rugs In Multi REMYRU-19SLML234H · More Info


  • 5 years ago

    @js. Your clock looks nice there. Keep it--better than a TV. I like your fireplace, current mantel, and bookcases. It looks like a cozy space. Enjoy!

  • 5 years ago

    You were trying to lighten up the space. I'd use a large light colored piece of art, or one with white matting, which would look updated and lighten the room. It would also give you a better focal point so the white tiles on the hearth aren't so noticeable.