Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
portlandmysteryrose

How much does the GORGEOUS, FRAGRANT Barden rose Nightmoss sucker?

portlandmysteryrose
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

Hello, kindred lovers of all roses velvety purple, fragrant and mossy! Could you share your experiences with Paul Barden’s exquisite new-old rose ’Nightmoss’? Does it spread in your garden beds? I have been growing this incredibly beautiful and deliciously fragrant cross between ‘Tuscany Superb’ (my favorite rose ever) and ’Nuits de Young’ in a large nursery pot, and I am planning to plant it in my front bed this fall in between ’Marianne’ and ’Duchesse de Brabant’. I’d love to know if ‘Nightmoss’ spreads by suckers like its parents, and if so, the character of the suckering—not far from the main plant, far and wide, slowly, on the quicker side, etc. I have NO problem slicing some babies out of the soil. (Yay! More roses!!) NBD. I‘m just a predictable-type gardener and like to know what to expect from my roses once I set them loose on my tiny, inner city lot. Thank you so much for sharing your knowledge and experiences!

If you have photos and other any kinds of info to share, pile everything on! I am all ears and eyes. I’d be all nose, too, if I could stick mine through the iPad screen. I love, love, love this deeply mysterious, richly perfumed Moss rose!

Carol

Comments (10)

• Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
    2 years ago

I do love my Nuits and how it suckers. Please post photos of Nightmoss if you can Carol.

portlandmysteryrose thanked Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
  • portlandmysteryrose
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thanks, Sheila! You grow so many wonderful roses!!

I adore my Nuits, too. I can see exactly why Paul bred Nuits and TS. My Nightmoss is several years older than Nuits and in a larger pot, but Nuits has been suckering pretty much since its infancy. Nuits is even sending stolons through the drainage holes of its upsized pot! Nightmoss, on the other hand hasn’t suckered at all. It’s just a tidy 5 gallon rose. My TS is in a bed of amended clay and is around 15 years old. It suckers in the vicinty of the mother plant, and every year, I slice some babies and make more roses.

I got sidetracked when Nightmoss bloomed this year and missed my photo opportunity, darn it! Nm’s bloom coincides with the end of my daughter’s school year and the prep for summer school. I’ll see if I have some accessible shots from years past. Nm is a beauty! If you don’t grow this Barden rose yet, you should definitely consider it. It’s fantastically fragrant and so dark and beautiful!

Thank you again for posting your enabling photos of Dakota Redwing! Mine has been offering lots of magnificent, intensely perfumed, red velvet blooms for such a small plant. I can hardly wait to move it out of my driveway nursery and into a decorative pot in the garden! After temps cool down from 113! 😱

Carol

• Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
    2 years ago

I love those deep crimson colors, Carol. I am excited to hear about Nightmoss.

portlandmysteryrose thanked Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
  • K S 7b Little Rock (formerly of Seattle)
    2 years ago

I wish this one came available more often! At the moment I can't get any more roses due in part to a temporary move to another state, but someday I'd like to grow Nightmoss! It sounds wonderful based on your description, Carol.

portlandmysteryrose thanked K S 7b Little Rock (formerly of Seattle)
  • Brandon Garner
    2 years ago

K S, you aren't alone in wishing that it was more available. Too bad Rogue Valley Roses is the only nursery that has it.

portlandmysteryrose thanked Brandon Garner
  • portlandmysteryrose
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Paul, I think propagating and offering more Nightmoss would be wonderful! Do you also have some photos of yours that you could share with us? The last few years have been a bit nuts around here, and my rose photo library is a tangled mess. And honestly, my photos don’t compare with yours by a long shot! Thank you so much for answering the suckering question. I think Nightmoss is a good candidate for my front bed. I love so many things about this rose, and its polite spread is one more bonus. A gentle spreader is rare in the dark purple OGR world! Carol

• Brandon Garner
    2 years ago

@User I second the idea of propagating and offering more Nightmoss as being wonderful.

• Alana8aSC
    2 years ago

I wish RVR stocked your roses more, Paul, and sent out the correct rose!

portlandmysteryrose thanked Alana8aSC
  • Brandon Garner
    2 years ago

Alana8aSc and KS, have y’all tried reaching out to Rogue Valley Roses in writing to request Nightmoss’ possible availability? I usu usually get a response from them when I use the contact us form on their page. I can’t say their responses to my inquiries are very encouraging but the more people enquire the more they might get a clue?