Software
Houzz Logo Print
dcampbell16500

Window treatment advice please!

5 years ago

Should I do 4 panels or just two on each side? One long rod? I’m not opposed to removing the shutters. They were there when we purchased the house.

Comments (9)

  • 5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

    Wood shutters? In good condition? I am opposed to removing them; especially as they tie in with the shutters on the door. Putting skinny panels between the windows always looks like someone took a length of fabric and tacked it on the wall. If there are other windows to put the shutters on--I would put roman shades on the family room (?) windows. I would also move the coffee table closer to one of the sofas or the beautiful side chairs so it could be useful.

  • 5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

    Agree with first two comments - leave the shutters. I would leave that window treatment decsion to last thing. If you ever do add panels - over the shutters of course - my vote is one long rod with panels stacked off to each end. I’m curious though about your plan for kitchen windows. If they need any treatments, whatever is done should coordinate with the great room windows.

  • 5 years ago

    Thank you for your feedback. Here’s an updated picture. I’ve ordered 2 panels for the outside of the 3 windows. I’d like to do one long wooden rod. Could I get away with just one bracket in the middle? The length of the rod would be 186”.

  • 5 years ago

    @dcampbell16500 15.5’ rod with 2 brackets & one center support? Hmmm….I Googled that question to be sure & there are many variables. Weight & diameter of rod as well as weight of curtain panels for two of the variables to consider. Will the panels cover the window if pulled towards center or are they going to be decorative only panels that hang at outside edges of the two outside windows? is the wooden rod going to be one piece or two that are screwed together?

  • 5 years ago

    The panels will be stationary, mostly stacked on the outside and it would be two 1 3/8” rods joined together. The fabric I chose is lightweight but it will be lined.

  • 5 years ago

    Using 2 rods joined together, I would use two supports for the rod. Place them on either side of middle window, centered between the outside windows and center window. You have a large expanse of windows, lovely. Even though you will be using only stationary drapery treatments, they should be full. Do not put up one panel of draperies on each end. It will be cheap looking. Draperies should be 2x - 3x the width of your window. I would do 2 panels of draperies on each side. Another thought, instead of a rod all the way across you could just put a rod on each end long enough to hold just the drapery. The rods do not extend over the top of the window. In Houzz, search for draperies with rods. There will be an abundance of pictures to see. So many pros have answered questions about draperies over the years, you might be able to find a posting. You have a lovely home.

  • 5 years ago

    Also, look at the placement of your rod. Do not place rod directly above your windows. Go higher. It looks like your ceilings are tall. Play around with your rod placement. I would place it in line with your bookcase opening or higher. Again, look at the pics on Houzz for reference. You have an encyclopedia of info at your fingertips.

  • PRO
    5 years ago

    The plantation shutters work well with the space - I would leave them.