Software
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_462313403

Alabaster cabinets and white subway tile

5 years ago


Someone pleasseee help me! We just finished building our house and I didnt realize how off white alabaster white was. I chose white subway tile and white quartz with specks of gray for my counterops. The whites clash and I hate it! Aside from changing everything, what can I do to pull this all together??


Comments (38)

  • 5 years ago

    Use light wood tones. Wooden spoons, wicker baskets, black accessories. Hopes this help.

    Hannah Glover thanked Chandra Acklin
  • 5 years ago

    Thank you, ladies!

  • 5 years ago

    Its white on white... very clean and elegant!

    Hannah Glover thanked Dorothy Ames
  • 5 years ago

    I second living with it for a while. It may not have been your vision but, I think your kitchen is beautiful!

    Hannah Glover thanked Lexy Smith
  • PRO
    5 years ago

    Install higher Kelvin LED bulbs at 4000. That will brighten everything up. Lighting is everything.

    Hannah Glover thanked Flo Mangan
  • 5 years ago

    I think wood toned accessories noted by Chandra would look great. Maybe lean a couple of nice wood cutting boards against the splash. Functional and pretty.

    Hannah Glover thanked Jackie Brown
  • 5 years ago

    Accessories will help. Right now you have an empty kitchen and all you see are the white-on-white items. As stated above, wood and textured elements will help. Add color! Buy beautiful canisters. Put your cutting board against the backsplash. It looks fine. It’s new and empty. Dress it up and it will be gorgeous.

    Hannah Glover thanked RedRyder
  • 5 years ago

    Ditto what everyone else has already mentioned! It looks beautiful. Live with it for awhile and get some fun accessories.

    Hannah Glover thanked Ac Lb
  • 5 years ago

    I actually like the slight contrast of warm and cool. Once accessorized, you probably won’t notice it so much. Plus, the island looks “whiter” than the cabinets? Same color as cabinets and lighting making the difference? Congrats on your new space

    Hannah Glover thanked Gcubed
  • PRO
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

    I agree the lighting needs to be addressed. Those Edison bulbs are not only poor lighting but cast a yellow glow on everything. Change all the bulbs to LED 4000K then add some color with colorful accessories or small appliances that takes your eye to other stuff in the space .Try to get the lighting if you can to actually light the island not the ceiling , add some fun stools and honestly it will be fine.

    Hannah Glover thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • 5 years ago

    Love the white kitchen ❣️Keep it “as Is”; looks great❣️

    Hannah Glover thanked kculbers
  • PRO
    5 years ago

    We think you might want to try changing out the lighting. It might help brighten the space. We also think you might want to try an accent color and that might help take the focus away from the different whites/creams.

    Modern Ranch · More Info


    Colorful Remodel · More Info


    Hannah Glover thanked Amy Peltier Interior Design & Home
  • 5 years ago

    I wouldn't be happy and would want to change the backsplash to a creamier color. Live with it for a while and change it out later when you have the time and budget.

  • 5 years ago

    @chispa This is not helpful at all. We just spent a ton of money building our house. Tearing out the backsplash and replacing it would be ridiculously expensive. I’m well aware of how it looks. Please think beforw commenting something like this in the future.

  • 5 years ago

    Is the island white. Nit looks white so that ties in with the backsplash. I might put some interestingly shaped large white pottery pieces and baskets on top of the cabinets

    Hannah Glover thanked HU-954817888
  • 5 years ago

    Beautiful kitchen! You just need to make sure you repeat the white and the cream with your accessories to make it look intentional. A white piece of art over the window, a cream crock to hold wooden spoons. From the picture it looks like the counters are closer to the color of the cabinets than the backsplash—but whatever color looks like the odd man out, repeat that color with something big. Stools, art, vase, tray. You can totally decorate your way out of this!

    Hannah Glover thanked AGKY
  • 5 years ago

    “@chispa This is not helpful at all. We just spent a ton of money building our house. Tearing out the backsplash and replacing it would be ridiculously expensive. I’m well aware of how it looks. Please think beforw commenting something like this in the future.”


    hannah…your kidding, right? why did you ask for opinions? chispa was not malicious. her opinion was perfectly kind.

  • 5 years ago

    Btw…your kitchen really is beautiful.

  • 5 years ago

    Hi Hannah - I offer no professional help, just my opinion. I love your kitchen! Absolutely love the mix of white, cream. I especially love the color of your cabinets. Looks sophisticated to me. Congratulations on your new home!

    Hannah Glover thanked NagyMama
  • 5 years ago

    I truly think it is beautiful! I, too, have creamy cabinets and am currently choosing a subway tile. I am thinking of using a whiter tile. You can easily pull this off by using wooden accents, giving it a cottage feel. check out this article and don’t despair! Your kitchen is warm and inviting!

    https://homeglowdesign.com/2016/08/27/cream-white-kitchens-stroke-genius/

    Hannah Glover thanked HU-225437972
  • PRO
    4 years ago

    @Hannah Glover do you have more photos of your kitchen? im wanting to do alabaster and i feel like our kitchens are similar!

  • 4 years ago

    Hannah Glover do you have photos of your finished kitchen? I would love to see how you tied everything together!

  • 4 years ago

    Love the kitchen. I would add more gray and blue, even a green products around the kitchen.

  • 4 years ago

    You have enough people telling you they love your kitchen. Do try the various suggestions of lighting and accessories.

    The backsplash is often the hardest to get right. Many of us here, me included, install one only to rip it out and replace.

    You will either get used to it, or it will forever bother you.


  • 4 years ago

    @2christene and @eld6161 - the OP posted a year ago. She has likely resolved her issues by now

  • 4 years ago

    M Miller very true, but others read these posts who have similar issues.

  • 4 years ago

    @TJ so sorry I’m just not seeing your comment. I don’t have any recent pictures of my kitchen, but here are a couple from the fall.


  • 4 years ago



  • 4 years ago

    Wow, it looks gorgeous!!

    Hannah Glover thanked Ac Lb
  • 4 years ago

    Love this kitchen I hope you do now too?

    Hannah Glover thanked Kay p
  • 4 years ago

    Yes, I do love my kitchen now. Grateful for this community that gave the helpful suggestions.

  • PRO
    4 years ago

    Love it. Can you post what flooring you used. Looks perfect!

  • 4 years ago

    Your kitchen is wonderful and I’m glad you love it now too. Great rug choice!

    Hannah Glover thanked RedRyder
  • 4 years ago

    Hannah: your kitchen is so lovely and classic! Well done!

    Hannah Glover thanked kculbers
  • 4 years ago

    It’s gorgeous. I really love the wall color. Maybe it was not planned, but you’ve nailed an elegant tone on tone vibe. AND … you can add pops of color when ever you want — burgundy/gold or red/green for Christmas, bright Yellow for spring, red/white/blue for the 4th. Hope you enjoy your space.

    Hannah Glover thanked pamela_ruhl
  • 4 years ago

    Looks great! I personally would go for a brass color for hardware.

    Hannah Glover thanked HU-327393944
  • 4 years ago

    It all came together beautifully! Bringing in the wood tones tied it all together perfectly!