Software
Houzz Logo Print
difio

Help! Fireplace debacle!

13 years ago
Please help me with this fireplace.

Comments (16)

  • 13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    What don't you like? Have you settled on a budget for redoing any of it? It looks like you might be in the middle of some changes.

    Photos taken in daylight with all the lights on would help.
  • 13 years ago
    first remove the TV, it doesn't work there.. What is your color scheme? I would paint the wall a contrasting color, maybe a cappucino, grey or dark lavender, sage, what color is your furniture? Also, paint those white columns next to the fireplace the same dark color. Then If you have a space to the right of your fireplace rather than a window, build a book case. It would help if you posted more pics.
  • 13 years ago
    Yes. It is a new fireplace in an addition that I have no idea what to do with. The mantle doesn't really have to stay.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Would need more pics but for now;

    1) Remove tv from above fp
    2) Paint room a color more cohesive with your tile-taupe, greige, etc.
    3) Do something with the sides. What is that there now---unpainted drywall?
    4) Remove the little photos. We need to start over with decor. You need a piece of artwork.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Okay....new mantle (top) should be not as high as current one and I guess you realize you need a full mantle.

    What colors are in your tile? Second pic looks totally diff from first one color-wize. So, now I am seeing that burnt orange.
  • 13 years ago
    The mantle you have is so thick. It really needs to be longer and come down the sides too. Right now it just looks like a large dark hunk of wood on the wall. Bring the dark down the sides and on the hearth. It needs to be anchored so it doesn't appear to be floating.
  • 13 years ago
    I agree with howellmsue. The whole fireplace and mantle looks top-heavy and in danger of toppling over because all the colour and weight is at the top and doesn't appear to be supported by anything. The tv just has to go.
  • 13 years ago
    Thanks. I agree. T.v over the fireplace war is a lost cause. It is up there for good. The color on the wall was an "experiment." Ha. It will go. I am actually painting the room Timothy Straw (BM) The room is attached to my kitchen which is painted mellowed ivory (BM)
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    I understand about the TV- in the end you need to live in your space! But I'd remove the photos- they just call attention to the huge black hole! :) I think if you paint the mantel white (matching your other trim) it will help it look less heavy. And a mantel that size really needs legs to balance it out!
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Okay, so you are bringing out sort of that green in the tile with the Timothy Straw.

    Why is the tv over the fireplace a "lost cause"? I know people like to do this, but there are numerous reasons, in by opinion, why it is a bad idea.

    If you are keeping it there, do you have plans for the hardware/wire?

    How can we help you further?
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    I agree, remove the TV. It doesn't go with the rest of the room. This fireplace is very "homey" and warm. I would blend the rest of the room with that same coziness. You can do this with some deep and rich colors (dark browns, cranberries, beiges) A perfect room color for this is peanut butter... maybe use this picture for inpiration. Hope this helps! Best of luck- The Taylor'd Room Interiors
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    From your idea book, it seems your taste is transitional and you like neutrals. I am seeing only white mantles in your idea book....so if you like that, go for it.

    With your new mantle.....all of those little things on there....."bye, bye".
  • 13 years ago
    Guilty as charged! I do like traditional. This is a family room attached to kitchen. I love the above picture for my living room! Yes, I think the dark mantle shall go on Craigslist.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Note how in above photo the vertical space above the fireplace equals just about the vertical space below. In yours, instant neck problems while viewing tv!!
  • 10 years ago

    Sold the mantle on Craigslist!