Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hwolfedvm

Decor dilemma!

Hillary Wolfe
2 years ago

I've moved into a brand new apartment. The builders installed the cable and outlet high up on the wall, thus forcing us to mount the TV on the wall. I'm not really into that look, but did it anyway to avoid plugs and outlets showing. But now, my TV stand looks ridiculous. There is way too much space between it and the TV. But it HAD to be hung that high due to how high the oulets were. I'm having a hard time finding TV stands that are high enough (I think 36" high, 58+ inches wide would be ideal). I don't know what to do because it looks dumb and I am out of ideas. Lowering the TV is absolutely not an option unfortunately. Help!

Comments (15)

• Cwal
    2 years ago

I don’t think it looks as bad as you think, it looks clean. What about if you just put some thing with height below it in the middle, something like the picture below. The then put some tall picture frames that are tall, but not as tall as the orchid and then on the other side maybe do some kind of tall books with some kind of bookends. Just add somethings with some height.

• Mrs. S
    2 years ago

Cable? Are you sure you need cable and not just electricity? I guess you would know if if you didn't need cable....

It might be less expensive to lower the outlets than to purchase a new stand. If that isn't possible, as you say, then maybe just fill up the space with 18" tall plants.

Final thought: I'd prefer the TV lower, and if the "cost" of that is that an outlet shows up above it, I would just find a way to hide the outlet. Say, install a floating shelf above the lowered TV, and put a potted plant to cover up the outlet. Or hang some artwork.

• acm
    2 years ago

It looks ridiculous up that high -- how much worse can it be to see some outlet plates? Or pay $100-200 to have all the connections moved down a foot. You'll end up with chiropraxy bills looking up to this height.

• Hillary Wolfe
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Okay ya'll - I was able to lower it a LITTLE bit without unmounting it from the wall. But this is as good as it gets. See how the outlets show? Either way it looks awful! Desperate for suggestions. https://imgur.com/a/G93JWTb

• Hillary Wolfe
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@acm @Mrs. S I lowered it a little bit, please see my updated comment with link to photos!

• Mrs. S
    2 years ago

They do sell special mounts with extendable arms, where the TV can be lowered for viewing. It doesn't seem ideal.

• shirlpp
    2 years ago

What about putting a tall console under the tv?

• Olychick
    2 years ago

What about adding some feet to the console to raise it a bit?

Something not too obvious:

Not sure about these:

I'd try to put some blocks of wood under it to see how it looks raised, then shop for feet that would go with the style. Or maybe even just solid boards that raise it without looking like feet?

• kculbers
    2 years ago

How about adding an oblong saying or picture in that dead space❣️

• Dana
    2 years ago

Any chance you have a different dresser/chest of drawers you could repurpose?

• cjh4q
    2 years ago

Instead of searching TV stands, look at credenza or buffet tables. Plenty of options that are 36” and long enough. Just depends if you want to buy another piece and what style you want.

Are you going to have a sound bar? Mounting one would also help fill the space.

• Paul F.
    2 years ago

Jennifer has the best idea. Artwork above the TV to hide the cables.

• Tina S
    2 years ago

I agree with @Olychick adding legs is a great way to bring up the height to the tv.

• Belahn
    2 years ago

It looks worse after you lowered it. Why do you even need the tv stand? I have mine hung on the wall with nothing under it and it makes the LR feel so much roomier. If you need a BluRay player or game or something,, you can get one of those little shelves that are made for that and go under the tv very low key. I disagree with a bunch of pictures and plants or anything else surrounding the tv. It distracts from what you are trying to watch.