Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
janinecos51

UGH!!! Please Help!!! Which Brand for a Composite Sink

janinecos51
2 years ago

I have been reading so many different articles and reviews on different composite sinks. I sometimes worry the article writers are getting kickbacks. I really would like to switch my stainless steel sink for a composite. It will be undermounted and have to fit 35" and I also have a garbage disposal. I am not sure if using a garbage disposal will increase the iikelyhood of cracking. I have narrowed it down to three brands and model but would appreciate any information or guidance. I like that Elkay is a lifetime warranty and made in the USA....but like Kraus has a high heat resistance. Blanco seemed to have great reviews with the exception of packaging.

1. Elkay not sure which model
  2. Blanco Silgranit
  3. Kraus Belluci Workstation

Comments (23)

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    2 years ago

IMO none , a simple good quality stainless sink will last a lifetime and go with whatever style choices you make during that lifetime.

• Cameron DeMille
    2 years ago

I would stay away from composite sinks. They are notoriously difficult to keep clean an if there is damage, or deep cleaning needed, it's a pain in the butt. Stick with stainless or porcelain coated cast iron

• malabacat
    2 years ago

I've had my Blanco silgranit sink (in anthracite) for over 6 years and I've never had any trouble keeping it clean. In fact, it's super easy to clean. I have read that some people with the very light colored composite sinks have had staining issues. I've never read a complaint about one of the darker colors though.

• Sharon Fullen
    2 years ago

I have two Blanco medium grey sinks for 5 years. Love them.. Easy to clean, never scratch, heat safe. They look brand new. Nice clean look even when dirty.

• JT7abcz
    2 years ago

We have a dark Blanco in the kitchen, and a light grey Kraus in the outdoor kitchen. Both take a beating, especially the outdoor sink with heavy pots and greasy BBQ tools, dirt from potting plants, paint brush clean up, etc. Magic Eraser pads keep them looking perfect - even removed a purple plumbing glue stain that apparently had been sitting for days. I much prefer the composite sinks to stainless.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    2 years ago

I've installed hundreds of Elkay Quartz Luxe sinks over several years. I'm certain if they were difficult to keep clean, I would have heard of it by now. Not one call to that effect and I've installed a few white ones. They are the superior composite sinks and for the record, are made in Germany. Unlike enameled cast iron, the color goes all the way through, so even if you chip it, it's not a disaster and can occasionally be repaired.

There is no cleaning or repairing cast iron sinks:

Nasty faded and cracked Blanco composite.

janinecos51 thanked Joseph Corlett, LLC
  • PRO
    janinecos51 thanked Joseph Corlett, LLC
  • janinecos51
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@Joseph Corlett, LLC thank you so much. I feel much better about going with a composite!!

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    2 years ago

My customers do their best to make sure their stainless steel sinks don't last a lifetime. I don't know what this is, but we're going to try a refinish before replacement.

• tedbixby
    2 years ago

@joseph-corlett what is the best way to clean a composite sink?

• gigi121
    2 years ago

I’ve had a medium grey blanco sink for 6 years. I’ve previously had porcelain and stainless sinks and this Is by far the best sink I’ve had.

• rmaunder
    2 years ago

I have a black blanco sink and it's been 5 years. Also have a garbage disposal. It looks exactly like it did when new. I love it! Takes a beating with pots and pans, even wash paint brushes in it never stains, no damage at all. Went with the single bowl, 2-level configuration to fit large pans.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    2 years ago

I'd use a kitchen scrubby pad to cleean a composite sink. If you use a countertop polish like Magic Countertop, do the sink at the same time please.

• tinakoebel
    2 months ago

@janinecos51 I am looking at using a composite sink. After 2 years, are you happy with your purchase?!

• Sweet Potato
    2 months ago
    last modified: 2 months ago

Just installed white Blanco sink couple months ago and so far so good. It does stain occasionally but it cleans up well with baking soda. I am not noticing any scratches or dents but we haven't had it for too long. I don't like the water splash sound of a stainless steel sink and the hard water stains (I live in an area with hard water) so for me it was an easy choice. It also blends nicely with my white counters.

• Tina
    2 months ago

I’ve had 2 blanco siligranite sinks and will never buy another one.
    The first one was white that we installed in 2000. It would stain and couldn’t get it to look clean, I finally started to use some bleach to get the stains out.
    We finally changed our sink to a new one around 2013. I wanted a stainless but husband convinced me to get another blanco but in black. This sink looks dull and old, it has small chips on bottom. I use one side of sink to wash dishes and use the other side for the clean dishes to drain and you can see the difference of dullness between the 2 sides.

For a while I would clean the sinks and put mineral oil on them and they looked great, but of course within a day or 2 the mineral oil would wash off and sink would look like a old dull worn out sink again.

I want to change out again to stainless

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    2 months ago

Blanco gives the genere they invented a bad name. There are much better quality composite sinks available.

• Kate Cowers
    2 months ago

I'm sure other composite sinks are out there and are of great quality. I disagree with Mr. Corlett that Blanco has a bad name. We've had a coffee brown Blanco double bowl kitchen sink for almost 8 years, and it still looks brand new. Personally, I think the key to keeping it clean is wiping it down with a dry cloth (sides and bottom) after you've used it. We also have the stainless sink grids in each sink so we're not dumping dishes directly onto the sink bottom. No issues, I'd buy another one in a heartbeat.

• T T
    2 months ago

We were perfectly happy with our Blanco silgranit sink. The dark color mostly hid stains but there were some oil stains if you looked closely. However, the Elkay Quartz Luxe we have now is much higher quality. It was more than double the price of the Blanco, but the finish is much nicer. If the price doesn't bother you, I would go with Elkay.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    2 months ago

Kate:

You've seen one; I've seen hundreds in my sink replacement business.

Very rare is the user who wipes her sink after each use.

• Sweet Potato
    2 months ago

My only regret is we didn't go bigger. Now that I added the drying rack I can really use some more space. I like the sink, very subtle and not harder to maintain than any other sink. Definitely easier than the dark colored ones.

• Kate Cowers
    2 months ago

Well maybe I just like to keep things looking nice, Mr. Corlett. The OP asked an opinion, we both gave ours. You don't like Blanco, I have had no issues.