Software
Houzz Logo Print
keylewbrew

Exhausted- help with living room

13 years ago
Can anyone offer suggestions- I have been working on living room for an eternity and can not seem to get it right- what could I put on either side of the couch- is the tree too much- There is not much space on either Side of couch I would rather not do tables

Comments (26)

  • 13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    An eternity, huh? I know that feeling. I do feel like the tree is too much here. The couch and art should be centered on that wall and there should be a table on at least one side with a lamp. Sorry. Or try just a table and then a floor lamp where the tree is now.

    I know the flowers on the table in front of the window match the drapes, but I am not feeling those, either. I like the vase, though.....that may stay! LOL

    Not sure there is room to sit on the couch with the pillows in that arrangement.

    Would love to see the other side of the room where the other leather piece is to see if there could be more ideas to share........
  • 13 years ago
    HI -- Instead of the tree , maybe think about matching floor lamps . There are even ones that have a glass round table included . Find something simple but elegant .
  • 13 years ago
    Thanks for advice- I have been looking for floor lamps , having such a hard time finding something I like, so floor lamps on both sides?
  • 13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    Both sides sound matchy matchy and since you have the chairs that match and maybe a sofa matching across the room......enough matching, huh? Find either one that is a dark bronze to go with the couch or one that will go with the frame on that art.
  • 13 years ago
    It kind of looks like you are trying too hard. And it is so formal. Don't see a table to set a drink down on or a lamp to read a book by. And there are so many pillows on the sofa that it would be hard to sit down.

    So, first thing: write down a list of adjectives that you wish the room to be. What feelings do you want it to evoke? What would you like to see this room used for?

    Is the art above the sofa something you love? Art can be a great jumping off point for a room. Maybe find something else and replace it. Try taking the pillows off the chairs and sofa. Add some fresh flowers and a real plant. Bring in a floor lamp to read by and place a few books on the tray.

    One way to add warmth would be to replace the sheers with unlined woven wood shades that stop at the bottom of the window.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Ok...here we go... Put the tree in he corner by the window, swing the rug on a diagonal with one corner under the sofa regardless of where the sofa is. Now put the sofa in front of the window, put the two chairs with the table in the middle in the corner where the tree is sort of on a diagonal to fill both sides o the corner. Get a pedestal or something else for the floral arrangement and leave the leather chair where it is or put it perpenicular to the sofa. Center the ottoman in front of the sofa, put a red pillow from the sofa on each of the oval back arm chairs. Take each of the light pillows from the arm chairs and put them on the sofa parallel to each arm. Now add a big framed mirror to the wall where the sofa is now and re-hang the artwork on a smaller wall. Add one glass top or mirrored occasional table beside the sofa on the left side that is tall enough to work with the tall arms of the sofa, this could be the pedestal for the floral or just a table. Put creamy white flowers in your vase instead of the red stuff. Turn the tray diagonal on the ottoman, move the dark accessories to the new glass or mirrored table and add one lamp somewhere preferably on the existing round table between the oval back chairs. Do not do a tall skinny lamp, try to find something like a mercury glass in a nice shape with a shade that is smaller than the diameter of the table but not too small. Now, make a fresh pot of coffee, snap anew picture and post the after shot on Houzz and enjoy your living room.
  • 13 years ago
    My head is swirling and I am trying to catch my breath.....but.......what do you think? Sounds fun! Give it a try!!!
  • 13 years ago
    I agree with Abbyjean. You need a table and the tree is too much. Everything is too contrived. You need to "unbutton the top button" a bit. I like the idea of a floor lamp in lieu of the tree. Edit pillows... From the side chairs too (maybe just one). Remove some pillows from the sofa and find a throw to toss over the back and/or arm. It will help to relax the space. Consider a table lamp in place of the vase and flowers. And push the two occasional chairs a tad closer to the side table. They seem a bit disconnected.
    You've chosen some very nice pieces. Good luck.
  • 13 years ago
    This is a lovely traditional room that just needs tweaking. The lack of lamps is what's hitting everyone. Agree with the above comments to center the couch and picture above it on the wall. Since there are two chairs on the left, I'd want a side table to the right of the sofa with a table lamp (perhaps a large silver, ivory or clear glass base and a modern round ivory shade). The dilemma with a side table is that the top of arm of the sofa is very (very) high. Normally table height should equate to the height of the arm, but perhaps one of the designers can help here with height and style. (Possibly coming up to the bottom of the arm's roll would work. If you're deadset against side tables, then I'd suggest a tall floor lamp on the left and a fiddle fig (more moden shape than the palm) on the right of the couch. Uplight the plant. Rather than the dried plant in a vase, the room could use another table lamp on the table between the chairs. Finally, right now everything is brown. Reduce the sofa cushions to two on the right and two on the left, using rust, but consider replacing the solid brown with a print. Let's see what others suggest. It can't be too modern and the room is very traditional, but a bit of a pattern (trellis perhaps) would add interest. And while my first thought was to use a traditional pattern on the side chairs to bring in some pattern and color, it appears they have a back with a tapestry. So instead, consider reupholstering the ottoman with a pattern to add a bit of interest. Finally, the picture looks a bit high to me. I think it's correct in relation to "height above sofa", but since the sofa back is unusually high, perhaps down 2" would look right. (I'll defer to the professional designers on that.) Or add a large tray in the metal color of the lamps to the ottoman.
  • 13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    Hi, Kaye! What would you like to do in here? Read? Have tea with friends? Lounge on the sofa and daydream?
  • 13 years ago
    Also had a drive me crazy living room. I was just getting ready to type in "try diagonal", when I came back and saw Leah's suggestion. I did this, and the room completely changed. It went from don't-sit-here to come in and have a cozy conversation!
  • 13 years ago
    Everything in the room is lovely. But, the room is not welcoming. There is no conversation area! The large sofa has to go on the long wall in front of the windows. No side tables needed. If you get standing lamps, they should be black and metal, like wrought iron. The matching chairs should face the sofa to create a conversation area. Play with their placement. You have to lose the waiting room feel! Also, room is too monochromatic . Every room needs black accents. Even a throw. Get a large black lacquer tray for the cushioned sofa table. Very practical. Drinks & snacks can go there. Unless the tree is real, lose it. The extra chair can go on a diagonal in a corner where it fits - the tree might work with it. The room is static. Diagonal placements are dynamic, and I would give that a try. The room also needs some white or cream accents, maybe in a few pillows or flowers. Pretty stuff! The room should be warm and welcoming.
  • 13 years ago
    Thank you all- this is just a sitting room I wanted a little more formal since we have a family room that everyone hangs out in for tv or games- but someone said it seems too contrived and that is exactly how I feel about it - I've taken a picture of the other leather piece as requested and moved the tree there- the picture will eventually be hung on the wall
  • 13 years ago
    My own living room has the furniture on the diagonal and I agree that nothing adds energy more to a room than that! So, right now just play around with your large pieces. Bring them off walls and group so that folks can have an intimate conversation.

    And for greenery: real plants and flowers. You can get a large green palm from Costco, etc. for around $15. And, replace a few times a year if need be. Nothing kills the life in a room faster than fake plants. Well, except for plastic encased furniture like grandma had!
  • 13 years ago
    I've always heard it said that a round table requires the chairs with it to be set on an angle and a square or rectangular table needs them to sit squared up. Just that little tweak will make a difference. Cut the bottoms off of some plastic milk or juice jugs and use them for sliders, so you can try out some of the ideas you've received. We'd love to see them fleshed out and help you decide which one or combo of them works best and you like most.
  • 13 years ago
    Comforts of Home-do you know the name of the uttermost lamps your speaking of--
  • 13 years ago
    my work here is done :)
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    I will look tomorrow, don't have catalogue with me:)
  • 13 years ago
    What a beautiful room. Looks like you only have overhead lighting. How about some brass wall scones? Lots on Andaluciabydesign.com. Here's a few pics too.
  • 13 years ago
    There were just a couple of thoughts more I wanted to pass on, so please bare with me!

    First, as you pull your furniture off the wall and play around with the placement of the rug and large pieces, don't let the bareness of the walls get to you. A bare wall will allow for great bookshelves to accessorize, or for a gallery wall.

    I know you say you have "worked forever" on this room. But unless you are a designer knowing exactly what is needed, and having lots of wonderful sources to pull from, our "effortless" rooms take a lot of effort!

    Believe you will be happier with the space once more of your personality is in the room. So, look around the house for things that mean something to you: grandma's old platter, an old wall clock (doesn't have to work!) and start looking around for some art pieces you love.

    Then to help arrange: hire that professional for a couple of hours! I have done this when I've been stuck and to help with this or that. When she comes in I have my list of questions ready and a lot of photos cut out!

    Finally, adding a little something that is unexpected is a way to add some freshness. That is why I had suggested you look into replacing your sheers with woven woods. I'm not talking a cheap roll from a discount store. I am doing this (on order right now) for my formal living and dining to layer with my silk panels, and they aren't cheap, believe me. But they are going to add some warmth and relax my rooms ( I hope!).
  • 13 years ago
    Hello! I think you should try to move the sofa up & off the wall, pull the other piece of furniture up, & put the ottoman in the middle. Move up one of the single chairs& put one on the other side,(both turned diagonal) If you can add an iron sconce w/candles or wall vases....where u can add dried sticks(example:Walmart even has dried leaves,etc)(one on each side) of your art....it would help that wall. Is there somewhere else u can put that plastic tree? A chess game(maybe a glass one)would look nice on the ottoman.
    I always try helping clients w/what they have. Not fond of floor lamps, but those lights in that previous post were beautiful! I wouldn't worry about having to many pillows, guests will sit back on them or either move them to their comfort. Trust me, I have the same furniture!
    Suggestions&opinions.....gotta love it! Best wishes!
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Sorry, worked too late yesterday. Kaye, look at www.uttermostlamp.com check out these 2 lamps: Strubridge and Stoughton. I have had this collection in my showroom and used these lamps. They can add a little sophistication to an old world look. Sending you wishes for a beautiful room:)
  • 12 years ago
    Thank you all for your help before I have made some updates to the room- let me know if you think this is an improvement-I still have some things to still do, I have left price tags on things as I am not sure I am keeping all
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    Went up to the top to see the before and the after. Looks like you turned the rug and are beginning to play around with placing the furniture on angles.

    I would angle it even more so that it seems very deliberate. Pull the sofas closer towards each other and place the front feet on the rug. This room is for conversation so closer is better! Don't want folks to shout at each other!

    Big improvement will be to head over to Costco, etc. and buy a real plant. Then I would take two of the red pillows off the sofa. Those are in the way for a guest. On the wall, rather than two mirrors, go for one larger round one. Then lower the two vertical small pictures down about 6 inches.

    Thanks for keeping us in the loop!
    Living and Dining Room · More Info

    Transitional Living Room · More Info
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    Angling the sofas and pulling them and the chairs closer will help the room relax and give it less that "waiting room" feeling.:
    Living Room · More Info

    Portfolio Photographs - Room in Red · More Info