Software
Houzz Logo Print
pmosier61

Feedback on new construction exterior colors

5 years ago

Soon it’ll be time to order roofing, windows, and exterior doors for our new build so I’m looking to get all the colors locked down now. Would love to tap into the collective expertise here on Houzz.

Photo shows my best shot so far. Elevation is overlaid on the actual lot. We’re in the PNW and the house will face west. Lot is wooded and view is to the rear (overlooks forested bank dropping to stream below).

Would love to hear suggestions for improvement. All colors shown here are Sherwin Williams:

Body 7061 Night Owl
Trim 9166 Drift of Mist
Accent 6072 Versatile Gray (placeholder — I’d like to go with stained wood here)
Door 7624 Slate Tile

I used 7660 Earl Grey for the roof, but I don’t know…would darker look better (more contrast?)?

Also, what color of windows would you use? I’ve been leaning towards black but am totally open to suggestions here.

Comments (12)

  • PRO
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

    It would be helpful to know what materials you are using and where.

    You are already under construction?


    It's also difficult to understand the house looking at an elevation.


    A 3D rendering or floor plan would help.

  • 5 years ago

    Construction hasn’t started yet, excavation to begin second week of September. Our GC has suggested Hardie siding. I just came across Woodtone and will consider that for accent shakes and posts. Adding the floor plan. Thanks for taking a look!

  • PRO
    5 years ago

    You are painting the roof?

  • 5 years ago

    When I look at your image, I see lots of vertical lines. Your trim pieces? Posts? And…pink. Or at least that is what your trim looks like online. I think fewer colors and less contrast between your siding and your trim would be a better look. And, perhaps, fewer materials making up your walls. It looks quite busy and chopped up. Less is more. The more simple, the better. Focus should be on your front door.

  • 5 years ago

    One other thought….the fact that the entrance roof is off center would absolutely drive me crazy every time I looked at it. I would stretch the roof across the entire facade, or at least make it symmetrical with the windows on the front of the home. (But that might just be my “problem!”)

  • 5 years ago

    Darker roof. Yes.
    The body of the home - there are lots of gray. Either stick to one. Or go with a different color.
    Are you sold on gray?
    I like wood for the posts...
    And love the front door color :)

  • PRO
    5 years ago

    One thing always to remember, never select colors off a computer screen.

  • PRO
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

    I was curious about how a different roof might look.







  • 5 years ago

    Great suggestions! To avoid painting the roof (@Mark), I added shingles. Ditto for the wood shakes and posts :) Also painted vertical trim the body color instead of trim color to remove some of the vertical lines, what a difference that makes! Please take another look and see what you think. Keep the body color dark or lighten it a shade to create more contrast? I’m not sold on Gray and am open to other colors. Just looking to “nestle” the house in the trees.

    Once I have a direction, next step is to gather up paint and material samples to finalize selections and be ready to pull the trigger when our GC says GO!

  • 5 years ago

    I thought the PNW was known for cloudy/gray weather? The mock up looks so drab and sad.

    One house we owned in the northeast we repainted BM Nantucket Gray and got lots of positive feedback on it. Looks very different when used inside vs outside.

  • 5 years ago

    You’re spot on @Chispa and thank you for saying that. Sometimes I just need to be saved from myself. Here’s a new lighter and happier version.

  • 3 years ago

    Update. Wanted to come back and thank everyone here who gave feedback. We made many of the changes you suggested. The advice to simplify and to minimize the vertical lines was spot-on! We removed half of the posts, filled in the recess above the roof over the front door (what was that anyway?), used just one siding material (Hardie plank), and painted the corner trim the body color instead of the trim color.

    It was too late to change the roof or even to connect the roofs over the front and mud room doors, since they are different pitches.

    Body has been painted SW Pewter Green. Trim is SW Gossamer Veil. We should be able to take pics here in the next couple days.