Software
Houzz Logo Print
simona_ny

Will a workstation sink change my life? Please advise.

5 years ago

I am diving in to kitchen sink shopping and am trying to decide if a workstation sink is worth it. For those of you who have one (Kohler Prolific, Elkay Crosstown, Create Good, Galley, etc), here's the question: How do you air-dry a pot or pan? Those sinks that include drying racks seem like itty-bitty ones suited for either a couple of glasses or plates. Is there any sink that includes a dish drainer that would actually hold a pot, pan, colander, mixing bowl, etc., which is what's most commonly left to air dry in our house?

Comments (35)

  • 5 years ago

    It will change your life. . . . You'll towel dry and store everything right after you wash them. Not a big change. But necessary and beneficial especially if you're open plan.

  • 5 years ago

    You can buy a rolled up drying rack from amazon that you can use without having to get a workstation sink to see how this will work for you. I have one and use my it mainly for glasses, as those don't dry well upside down on the drying pad. I rarely use it for pots/pans (those go on the drying mat next to the sink). WS sinks won't change how your dishes dry...their benefit is mostly found in prepping. If you don't have much prep space in your kitchen, I imagine a WS sink would be really great. I don't see a huge benefit in cleanup, so if that's the reason you're considering it, you may want to save your money.

    Simona thanked anj_p
  • 5 years ago

    I have a relatively small galley kitchen and my relatively large (36") single bowl farm house sink really improves my kitchen's functionality.


    Mine is a copper sink from Havens Metal with a ledge which fits accessories. I have a "grid" which I generally leave over the sink. It is perfect for drip drying items that don't go in the dishwasher. I also use it to prep stuff that might produce crumbs or other schmootz. Or when I was produce.


    When I am not actively using it, it just functions well as an extension of my counter so I can use it when I am bagging groceries or when I need other temporary landing spots like hot pans.


    I also have a relatively small attachment with holes that I use for sponges and other damp items which sits on the side. I bought the cutting board which is great because any small debris just gets swooshed directly into the sink so I don't have to clean the counter. Although I have a garbage disposal I don't put large amounts of vegetable waste in there but it is easy to collect that stuff. I will use a plastic bowl in the sink to collect that kind of debris.


    I also have the cutting board with a hole that fits the stainless bowl which is convenient but I don't use it as often as the plain cutting board.


    What I really appreciate about my sink is that it fits in a 36" sink cabinet and the drain is on the side and to the back. With this configuration I have a garbage disposal to the side instead of the middle like a standard drain. Therefore I can fit a pull out garbage can since I have no room for a can in my kitchen since anywhere I place it would block access to lower cabinets or dishwasher or cooktop.


    Also being able to have a 36" sink in a small kitchen is so functional as dirty stuff can be stacked to one side especially since my drain is on the other side so it isn't blocked the way drains are blocked when they are in the middle - especially with a small sink bowl. I would not be able to get a large sink if it weren't able to function as a prep area and additional counter space.

    Simona thanked Helen
  • 5 years ago

    our kitchen is open concept, and I run a very tidy home. but honestly, always having something in the dish rack doesn't bother me in the least. we keep the rest of the area decluttered so overall it looks fine to me.

    those workstation sinks just look like you're taking up too much sink space with a drain rack that's too small to be really functional. (yes we have a dishwasher, but we prefer to hand wash a lot of things.)

    I've given it a lot of thought, and my next sink will be something stainless with a drain board, and we'll just place our wire rack on it. it will drain better and look nicer than the gross plastic tray it currently sits in. as for style, I don't need separate partitions. I'd way rather have one big sink to wrangle our oversized cutting boards and giant pots.


    Simona thanked User
  • 5 years ago

    @Helen thank you! So do you keep a dish drainer inside your sink, on the non-drain side? This is one strategy I'm considering.

  • PRO
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

    IMO yes it will you will spend more time cleaning completely useless add ons to the sink trying to finsd a splace to put them all and honestly not one is big enough to be uesful. The grids on the bottom of a kitchen sink are iMO just plain stupid. BTW I have back to bcak sinks in my island and rhey are the ones pictured above with the drain rack IMO a much better choice not to mention it does not require a huge cabinet either. BTW I wash all my pots except the the copper ones in the DW.

  • 5 years ago

    SeattleMCM I have been thinking about the exact same kind of sink for months now. I want a LARGE stainless steel single bowl with a side drainboard similar to what you have pictured, but for the life of me I cannot find anything. The largest sinks that I have found with a side drainboard are always double sinks. If only that partition were left out and some quality manufacturer made a large sink with a drainboard.

  • 5 years ago
  • 5 years ago

    @Simona haven't seen those until now. thank you! wow this forum is great!

  • 5 years ago

    Since mine is a work station style type of sink, the accessories sit on top of the basin as they fit into the ledge.


    The grid can be wherever you want it to be. I typically keep it on the side as it acts as an extension of my counter and can be used to drain dishes if necessary. It also fits in the bottom of the sink but typically I keep it over the basin.


    Here are pictures to illustrate - mine is a farm house sink while the picture is one for a standard undermount sink.


    Havens Metal was great to work with. They also make stainless steel sinks in any configuration you want.


    Havens Metal Sinks





  • 5 years ago

    @User i'm with you -- there are just certain things that will always need to be air-dried, and realistically, towel drying them isn't going to happen. The goal is to get the dishrack off the counter. It seems like maybe my best bet is to just get a 36 inch sink and put a dish drying rack in it. I can't seem to come up with anything better.

  • 5 years ago

    Simona that’s what I do. Measured first to make sure it fits under the sink in the cabinet and it does and I do that when entertaining and need to put large platters or and pans in the sink .. out of my sight. I’d rather visit with company and cleanup later but didn’t want to put on the counter.

    Simona thanked Lisa Dipiro
  • PRO
    5 years ago

    Both the sink bowl and rack are good size


    Sink size · More Info

    But most important the rack is extremely stabile in its location

  • PRO
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

    Because the drain board does not extend down into the cabinet a full size recycling /garbage rollout can be installed under it. Makes the 36" sink base extremely efficient and saves you $$ on the separate garbage cab. Great for those tight cabinet runs

    Newton Kitchens & Design · More Info


  • PRO
    5 years ago

    A design you may not have seen . Relatively new on the market. Not a "work station" per se but we believe as much if not more functional

    Reality Sink · More Info


    Reality Sink · More Info


  • 5 years ago

    @rcksinks, thanks, what is the advantage of having the raised drain board, vs just placing a dish rack down in a large sink?

  • 5 years ago

    Prefer ONE deep double stainless steel sink.

  • 5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

    I have a Kohler Riberby cast iron. I use the bottom grates and the utility rack, but not the colander. The colander would take up too much room and would be unsanitary sitting in the sink full time. I prefer using cutting boards on the counter near my food scape bowl.. I love the grates and have no need for other accessories. It's perfect for me and it certainly has changed my life. Most things go in the DW, except for sharp knives, some pots and insulated water bottles. I used the utility cup to hold dirty small items that might slip through the grates and for soaping up dirty knives. Knives and water bottles dry on the utility rack. Pots and pans can be washed and laid on the bottom racks to dry. I have an offset drain, so I can still use my sink


    even when things are drying. I don't have a garbage disposal, so that is not a conflict to my setup; as I would think, food scraps would gunk up the bottom grates. The photo is my sink in use without staging. My husband likes to put the dish oap container in the cup. I usually put it on the bottom grates. Riverby also comes in farmhouse style.

  • 5 years ago

    @Simona. The short answer is for user flexibility, convenience, and over all efficiency. The full answer is somewhat long winded and I didn't want it to seem like I hijacked your post (:

  • 5 years ago

    I've given it a lot of thought, and my next sink will be something stainless with a drain board, and we'll just place our wire rack on it.

    I think I know the answer to this, but an attached drain rack wouldn't affect the cabinet underneath, would it? That is, you'd still have a full-sized cabinet?

    look nicer than the gross plastic tray it currently sits in.

    Maybe get a draining rack that isn't gross?

    You can buy a rolled up drying rack from amazon that you can use without having to get a workstation sink to see how this will work for you.

    Yes, you can even pick up two of these and use them side-by-side if you have multiple dripping pots.

    What I really appreciate about my sink is that it fits in a 36" sink cabinet and the drain is on the side and to the back. With this configuration I have a garbage disposal to the side instead of the middle like a standard drain. Therefore I can fit a pull out garbage can

    Yes, a drain in the back is a huge benefit. Even if you don't choose to keep your garbage in a cabinet, you gain a large block of storage.

    MO yes it will you will spend more time cleaning completely useless add ons to the sink trying to finsd a splace to put them all and honestly not one is big enough to be uesful.

    Disagree -- a lot of these add-ons look very useful, especially the cutting boards. Pointing out the obvious: if you don't use them, why would you be cleaning them?

    The grids on the bottom of a kitchen sink are iMO just plain stupid.

    Agree ... sinks aren't something that should require babying, and a grid is one more thing to wash.

    realistically, towel drying them isn't going to happen.

    Yeah, sounds like we approach chores in the same way, and it's better to know yourself /build for your actual habits rather than the habits you wish you could adopt.

    what is the advantage of having the raised drain board, vs just placing a dish rack down in a large sink?

    Having the dish drainer "up high", you could set a dirty dish in the sink and not feel it was "sitting with the clean ones".

    But that space underneath the shelf is wasted.


  • 5 years ago

    @Mrs Pete . actually under the shelf becomes full usable cabinet space. Like having a free 18" base cab. Many designers use this space for recycling center as pictured above , but I also seen full rollout pot and pan drawers there! Because of that plumbing all being to one side. It is unique that the sink makes the cabinet more efficient, something that ends up being a work around on most sinks this deep. So few people see the "sink station" in its entirety (:

  • 5 years ago

    For sinks with built in drainboards also look at Julien sinks. I am going with a Julien 30" sink with attached 18" drainboard. Using a 33" cabinet and the dishwasher will fit under the drainboard. Rachiele also makes these, but theirs were more than I wanted to spend. I had 2 Julien sinks in my last house and was happy with their quality.

  • 5 years ago

    Don't know if it will change your life, but by relocating the prep work to the sink, your counters will stay clean (they may require dusting). We installed a Rachiele 42" copper sink and couldn't be more pleased.

    Kitchen · More Info


    Rachiele copper sink · More Info


  • 5 years ago

    Mrs Pete ... an attached drain rack wouldn't affect the cabinet underneath, would it? That is, you'd still have a full-sized cabinet?

    no, I mean simply placing a wire rack on top of the drain board. an integrated drain board is so shallow, it won't affect the cabinet beneath.

    Maybe get a draining rack that isn't gross?

    agreed. I just mean that the plastic parts get warped and sometimes cracked and old looking kind of quickly. most don't drain effectively and let the water sit. mine looks gross even when it's clean. and it's a PITA to take it out and clean the top and underneath. it would be so much easier to wipe down an integrated drain board. (an alternative: you can also buy drying racks with all SS parts.)

    so.... I've given it a lot of thought as well!

  • 5 years ago

    One thought:

    The more complicated any kind of "rig" is -- for any purpose -- the more likely something can go wrong -- and, if a built in, the more likely it will need to be replaced ... along with the entire remaining "rig" for it to look/feel be usable. When it comes to built ins, cautious can be the better option

    .

    My dad's first name actually was Murphy, as in "Murphy's Law": If anything can go wrong it will and at the worst possible time. When auto manufacturers started adding more and more gadgets to new cars, that increased the price of the cars and the price of maintenance -- he was not a fan. I'm not either and that applies to more than cars.

    To me, adding extra things to/around a sink that would likely need to be repaired/replaced before a good basic deep double stainless steel sink seems illogical. That said, however, it depends upon how you will use it whether it makes such things worthwhile.

  • 5 years ago

    suezbell -- At least with the sink I have, there's just not much to go wrong. It hasn't required anything other than an occasional wipe-down. (Installed in 2017). I suppose the cutting board will need replacement someday, but that appears to be years away.


  • PRO
    5 years ago




  • PRO
    5 years ago




  • PRO
    5 years ago



  • 5 years ago

    @RCKsinks Inc. - I REALLY the idea of being able to fully use one side of the sink cabinet!


    @Joseph Corlett, LLC - I was going to send this in a personal message - but your response will most likely be helpful to many other users, plus I have the same question as Simona about whether I need a work station sink. If you think I should switch to pm, or Simona, if you would like me to, please let me know.


    okay - you offered a few months ago to help me select my new kitchen sink. My kitchen reno will be starting in 1 1/2 months. I would like to get my kitchen budget finalized ASAP - I’ve now added two additional projects to my already lengthy renovation list and I need to see how much money is available for those two projects.




    So - I have a 33” sink base cabinet. I am trying to decide on whether I want a stainless or stone, or solid surface under mount sink. If I install a white sink— I’m nervous about stains. If I install a stainless one - I’m concerned about excessive scratching. I also have the same question as Simona


    I have Elkay Quartz Luxe on my list - but don’t know that much about them yet (only did a cursory review) - seems like it might be a good option. A couple people recommended Kraus - because the loved their stainless sinks. I’ve never had Corian in any house before - you are the ”Corian King” here on Houzz - so, I’d love to hear your thoughts on Corian vs. Quartz vs. stainless steel. Plus, it would be very helpful if you wouldn’t mind sharing your preferred manufacturers/models. Also, if there certain manufacturers/models that I should avoid, please let me know.


    Truly appreciate your assistance! thanks!

  • PRO
    5 years ago

    I am more of an expert on retrofitting sinks than on their functions; I don't want to overreach.


    There are tradeoffs to each material. Stainless is tough but scratches, but it's relatively easily refinished. Same with solid surface (Corian) sinks. Quartz sinks are tough, but if you do scratch one, it's much more difficult to remove if at all possible. Unlike cast iron or fireclay, at least the color goes all the way through.


    You can undermount a 33" sink into a 33" cabinet no matter what the sink manufacturer says. I do it all the time.


    I've very fond of the Elkay Quartz Luxe. It's much finer grained quartz than the others, particularly the Blancos. I've installed several white sinks and haven't heard any staining complaints.

  • 5 years ago

    I need to see an Elkay Quartz Luxe in person. I think it may be a great choice.

  • 4 years ago

    @rcksinks where did you get that custom boos cutting board??

  • PRO
    4 years ago

    Hello Bethany J

    They are custom made for me by Boos