Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_862523949

Is This a Dwarf Tangelo or Just Poor Growth (V-trunk)

VAP, Inc.
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

A friend planted this 2.5 years ago in Phoenix. Is this a dwarf?

About 24" from the ground the the main trunk created a "V" and now only has a left branch and right branch. There is no longer a center trunk. So the tree is growing outwards instead of upwards. Is this a dwarf maybe? I also just noticed someone cut a limb off in the center (the dark brown circle).

The tree pictured has had horrible growth because the HOA reduced irrigation watering to almost nothing. Se we are going to install a hidden water line under the stones and feed it with a hidden garden hose connection and battery timer.

We planted another tangelo tree in February, at their other home. It has grown about 10" straight up, with limbs coming off a main trunk. So the tree pictured is clearly struggling.

V trunk image from other side.

Comments (8)

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    2 years ago

If you got your tree from Onegreenworld.com or from Briteleaf.com , on US897 it is a true dwarf. Otherwise it is a standard tree. It looks like it is sending up a couple of new leaders.

Steve

• Silica
    2 years ago

Why on earth would anyone move into a HOA? Looking at the picture of your tree I can see a central leader beginning to grow.

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    2 years ago

I don't think there's any way to know A) the variety, or B) whether it's a dwarf (meaning it was grafted onto a dwarfing rootstock) at this point.

You'll have to wait for fruit to tell what variety it is.

Your tree looks pretty healthy to me. Just an odd shape. But citrus don't always grow the way you expect. You may have to train it. It looks like there are some vigorous shoots coming from the top.

Regarding the odd shape....It could be that a heavy crop of fruit broke off a leader, or a leader became bent over with fruit, or the leader got damaged because of droughty conditions, or maybe it just never had a good leader. You can always train a new leader if you want one.

When citrus grow, they kinda grow upward and outward. Then a heavy fruit crop brings the branches downward. After which new vertical shoots develop and the cycle starts all over again.

• PRO
    VAP, Inc.
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thanks everyone. I believe the tree came from Moon Valley. The weight of fruit makes sense that it pulled down the branches.

This condo was acquired when a family member passed. This HOA common yard had 4 large citrus trees. One died and they refused to replace it. So this friend paid to have this new tangelo planted because it was right next to their condo. However, the HOA rarely activates the irrigation system. It appears they want to let the trees die. We are going to install a hidden irrigation system to the condo front door where a garden hose will connect to the underground pipe, using a battery timer to water the trees.

These friends also have a house 2 blocks away where we planted another tangelo in February from Moon Valley. This one is doing great (pic below). I did pick most of the fruit off early so the branches would thrive and not bend.

• PRO
    VAP, Inc.
    Original Author
    2 years ago

A few of you noticed the branches shooting straight up. They have ribbed shafts and like other citrus trees, I considered these to be "suckers' or "runners'. We typically trim them so more energy goes to the tree for the summer. A regular citrus branch (non sucker) typically has a round shaft. Here's a closer look. I guess I can leave them be for a year or so.

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    2 years ago

‘Angular‘ growth on new shoots is the norm, but the shape may be more pronounced on more vigorous shoots. Angular growth will round out next season. If you want a taller tree, let one of those grow. Those vigorous shoots will eventually bloom once they grow out of vegetative phase in a year or two.

• Silica
    2 years ago

The twisted misshaped leaves of the new growth was caused by an insect called a thrip sucking juices out of the tender new leaves. This can be avoided by spraying the new growth every 2 or 3 days with a horticultural spray, until the new growth firms up.

• PRO
    VAP, Inc.
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thanks Dave and Silica. I will let it grow. I use Organicide which works great to combat the citrus asia minor bug we've had here in Phoenix for several years. I wish I knew who cut that branch off in the center...probably HOA loons.