Software
Houzz Logo Print
beatrice_davis

Living Room Help

5 years ago

I have been working on setting up my home in Florida for three years. Feel stuck on completing the living room. Need suggestions or ideas for what I can add or change to bring the room together. I feel it looks nice, but don’t have the wow me.

Comments (20)

  • 5 years ago

    I would get a larger rug that goes under all the legs of the sofa and chairs, and IMO, I'd try to find a rug with a little more color, maybe pick up some of the yellow in your couch cushions. And, much as I love your coffee table, the space would benefit from a rectangular table so it's accessible to more than one person.

    Beatrice Davis thanked msjoan
  • 5 years ago

    One thing that would add impact is a piece of furniture or some accessories that were not in identical style to everything else in the room. --It could be an antique rug, a small piece of furniture or some accessories. Right now everything is 2000-teens transitional, so it looks a little impersonal like it was lifted out of a showroom in one piece.

  • 5 years ago

    The rug throws the whole room off. The tall items on coffee table, side table and console are just that too tall. A coffee table in the middle is useless. It should be about 18" from the sofa. An oval would be better so people sitting on the ends can use it. I'm not sure why you chose yellow pillows but an accent color should show up 3 places in a room.

  • 5 years ago

    If you like to watch tv there maybe rearranging the sofa to face the tv. Agree a different rug would look better.

  • 5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

    I think a simpler rug would showcase your pieces and overall room better. I would lean toward a rug that is close to your tile color, a rug that has some texture.





    I like the border on this one. Brings in a bit of vibrant color, and would be a nice complement to all of your current throw pillows.







    https://rugs.com/natural-9x12-braided-jute-area-rug-6285894

    These rugs do not always show true to color in visuals; so if ordering rugs online, it is good to order smallest size first, to check for color, texture, etc. and to get a better idea of how the rug would work in your space.

  • 5 years ago

    None of the seats face TV, the rug is not anchoring anything, the coffee table is too far from any of the seats to be useful and the round side table calls for chairs angled around it. Maybe a color on the TV wall would add some wow!

  • PRO
    5 years ago

    Hi. There are some nice elements here, but the rug and the chairs are overwhemling together. The yellow pillows are not relating to anything I can see. You've got a good start......you just need help pulling it all together.


    Here are the steps to take in this order. Otherwise, you are wasting time and money. For example, no reason to buy a new rug, when you don't know what #4 is below.


    A lot of people think that design is all about decorating. That is one small part.


    1) Post inspiration photos of rooms you like. (Styles vary widely and I don't want to recommend something that does not fit your goals).


    2) State the function of your space. Example "Like to watch with sofa facing the tv". "Rarely watch tv, so sofa facing the tv in not important".


    3) Post photos of all 4 walls of the room.


    4) Create a floor plan that works with your functionality (#2). I will be happy to help you with this.


    5) Buy any furniture you might need to make #4 work. (unlikely you need new furniture).


    6) Buy or rearrange any decor.


  • 5 years ago

    I’d bring in some lighter pieces.
    A textured light colored. Minimal pattern or no pattern rug.
    Light pillows
    Ideally I’d have the two chairs in a solid cream material. But not sure that’s an option now
    I’d also do a bigger coffee table.
    Great space. Great pieces.

  • 5 years ago

    I agree about the room needed a different rug.
    But the biggest thing missing is personality. Right now it feels pleasant, but totally impersonal the way attractive hotel rooms, lobbies, reception areas feel.
    Add some art that moves you, some knickknacks that have a history or meaning to you, things like that.

  • 5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

    Can folks sitting on the sofa put a drink on the coffee table? New rug as stated and a new coffee table and you are Done!

  • 5 years ago

    I think you need a new rug, your "stuff" as some responders have already noted, is pretty bland;no one can reach the coffee table...and I see only one light fixture in the room. Well decorated rooms need layer of lighting:floor lamps, table lamps, sconces on the walls.Do not rely only on ceiling lighting. And yes, yes, yes add personal art that you love.....

  • 5 years ago

    I agree…on adding more Florida colors …and would float the couch facing tv…with chairs angled toward couch on each side of tv…if the chairs are used often to watch tv…swivel chairs would be better….also like the accent wall idea behind the tv idea……but …..for a shortcut you might try lessen the “not so Florida” gray influence… by painting all the walls a nice beachy color…this may make the rest of your gray decor less dominant

  • 5 years ago

    Sorry….shortcut …..Accent wall and colorful rug …

  • PRO
    5 years ago

    We think you might want to try a larger rug, and perhaps one a little different. Below are a few suggestions for rugs from our designs.

    Observatory Park Home Renovation & Decor · More Info


    Evergreen Design and Decor · More Info


    Cherry Hills Residence · More Info


  • PRO
    5 years ago

    You might need to readjust the position of the area rug, but I think it works great in the room. I would just paint the wall behind the TV to add a bit of drama.



  • PRO
    5 years ago

    It might be a great idea to try a rug that is a little less busy and more subtle. Here is an idea or you from a design we did for a client:

    Designer Showhouse · More Info


  • 5 years ago

    I think you can work with the rug.

    The gold cushions are a problem because they add another colour but not enough to make an impact. They just look jarring. I would take them off and eventually replace them with blue. Your sofa looks smooth and shiny so contrast that with blue pillows in velvet or velour.

    Your accessories are too much the same, and also the same as your table base. All shiny gray metal. I'd remove the 2 items on the coffee table and move the tall blue vase to the table. The tall vase is out of proportion to the chairs - too tall - but I think would look good on the coffee table. Try removing some of the other decor items and I think it will look better too. The floor plant is squished into the corner. Move it out a few inches so there is space between it and the wall.

    Find a TV picture with a blue that doesn't clash with your blue decor colour.


  • 5 years ago

    Or, here is an idea to paint the TV nook in the darkest blue from your chairs. It will somewhat camouflage the TV, and contrast attractively with your cabinet and with any light coloured decor items on it.


  • 5 years ago

    Thank you for suggestion.

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County