To paint or not to paint. Please advise

Lera Lerina

Trying to sell our home, any advice or ideas would be great.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/593-County-Road-627-Bloomsbury-NJ-08804/40118021_zpid/

wondering if the exterior color an issue..?

• nickel_kg

I'll let people with more expertise comment on price. Interior shots I think are okay -- it's not my style but if I needed a house, your selections and personal items wouldn't stop me from considering it. Exterior landscaping could use trimming the shrub near the steps.

But that color is awfully hard to get passed! I'd paint the siding either deep blue or Federal blue, leave the brick alone and keep all the trim white.

Lera Lerina thanked nickel_kg

I like a nice gray/ green for siding with brick but I aslo would speak to a realtor about pricing since IMO the whole kitchen will also need a redo . Painting the siding if done DIY might at least draw the buyers past the front door

Lera Lerina thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • cat_ky

I would probably paint the exterior. Its not the greatest color for resale, and it also looks a bit dingy. The house itself otherwise looks presentable. The landscaping could use a good weeding and trimming and cleaning out. Other than that, I would not do anything else.

Lera Lerina thanked cat_ky
  • rrah

First impressions count.

My first impression is that the siding either looks like it has green mold on parts of it or it looks like it has faded unevenly or has some kind of damage from window leaks. Has it been cleaned? That would be a first step. Make a decision about exterior painting after that.

The landscaping also looks overgrown. Clean it up or have a professional trim everything.

I would delay painting the interior, but I'd definitely remove the draperies and valance in the living room and the red ones in one of the bedrooms.

Make sure the beds are very neatly and tightly made, like you'd see in a hotel. They're made, but they look sloppy. Also make sure all the light bulbs work. I noticed a few were out. Little things like that make an impression.

What's the market like you your area? Almost two months seems like a long time given the fast moving markets in many areas. It maybe in the norm in your area. What does your agent say? What's gone under contract and sold since you listed?

Lera Lerina thanked rrah
  • decoenthusiaste

Are you living in the house at this time? The landscaping says there's lots of regular maintenance and most prospects aren't looking for that. I think painting the exterior is really important, and before you do that, please remove the colonial style pediment over the door and the louvered shutters. They are not appropriate for your home's style. The broken looking pavers in front of the steps will require immediate attention by the new owners. Can you take that chore off their list? Another discouraging chore would be removal of the three shrubs on the left. While you're at it, a larger and upgraded light above the door would add a lot. How about a house number that can be seen from the road? Inside, ALL the window treatments need to go. In bathrooms, replace with simple white shades. Multiple chests of drawers in some bedrooms say "There's not enough storage in this house." One per room would be OK, unless some rooms have two occupants. Maybe hiding a chest in a closet would be an option. Is that a chest freezer in the bedroom that has a daybed? If so, move it to the garage if you can. I see computer stations in most of the bedrooms. That is not a selling point. If these are kids bedrooms, try doubling up a couple of kids and putting all the computers in an "office" made from the smallest bedroom. The rugs are chopping up the floor space. To make a larger, more expansive impression, remove them everywhere but the living room and master (at least for showings and photos.) Draw interest in one bedroom as the master. I assume it is the one with the wall to wall closet. If so, remove the additional storage pieces, center the bed on the wall and perhaps use the rug from the bedroom with the window AC under the master bed like shown below. Throughout the house, take down all the items hung on the walls. They are hung to high and are not the quality you want for a staged presentation. I could go on, but I won't. Basically, minimize furniture, expose the floors to give a more spacious impression, clear the walls and windows and put some $$$ into the exteriors presentation (5 minutes is all you have to get them interested in or discouraged about your property.)

Lera Lerina thanked decoenthusiaste
  • partim

My parents' home was staged for sale. Each bedroom had a bed and a dresser. The larger bedrooms had a night table. No desk, no chair, no curtains. The bed was "made" by draping a very large white sheet over the bed, draping onto the floor. One pillow (single bed) or two pillows (for double or queen) with matching white pillowcases. Each bedroom had one piece of art work, abstract. A throw pillow and little blanket over the foot of the bed, matching the art work. It made the rooms look huge. The white sheets looked fantastic in the listing photos.

The living room was similarly stripped of everything but the essentials. She had cream-coloured velour covers over the (old fashioned) sofa and love seat. They looked wonderful. Again, she provided one big piece of art and the sofa pillows and throw matched it.

You get the idea.

The idea of staging for sale is to make it really easy for the buyer to imagine their family living in the house. So anything interesting needs to be removed because it interrupts that fantasy. Remove all your art work, your curtains, your rugs. The rooms should look pretty bare.

Lera Lerina thanked partim
  • lkloes

The three things I would address are: painting the exterior, cleaning up the landscaping and removing all of the window valances.

Lera Lerina thanked lkloes
  • Elmer J Fudd

Ask your realtor, real estate markets are local and you've hired them to sell it for you. Take their advice.

• Lera Lerina

good advise, to the point. decoenthusiaste - where we live, people are not put off by landscaping, most think fresh air, freedom,oasis, kids games, etc. not maintenance . the shrubs, however, this weekends’ project. do appreciate the input on all! now have better/more ideas on what to do. ( yes, we still live there).

• Lera Lerina

cat_ky what color/colors? example, maybe a pic?

• Lera Lerina

rrah will do, and NJ

• Lera Lerina

Exterior color - deep blue would not be too dark? will house appear smaller?

• Gerry

Have you had showings? Have you gotten any feedback from prospective buyers from the realtor. I think the realtor and photographer could have done a better job with the photos such as not having the aerial shot of the road and high tension wires. They should also have suggested moving things out of the rooms such as extra dressers or rugs. I think it’s priced right and your kitchen and bathroom look clean and that’s a big plus. I agree with others who suggest trimming the shrubbery and removing the living room drapery. Good luck with the sale from a fellow New Jerseyan.

Lera Lerina thanked Gerry
  • everdebz

Someone mentioned clean is best - can siding be cleaned professionally? as usual, I like autumn-type colors - if your is aloe, or pear, or springtime yellow-green, I don't mind it. Is it true that a seller can paint as wished by buyer....

Lera Lerina thanked everdebz
  • Jennifer Hogan

Have you considered that you may simply be overpriced?

Your home has been on the market for 62 days.

This home sold in 12 days in your zip code - currently pending.

https://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/272-Turkey-Hill-Rd_Bloomsbury_NJ_08804_M69706-52973

• nickel_kg

Exterior color - deep blue would not be too dark? will house appear smaller? Deep dark blue is a trendy, attractive, color in my area. It would update your house, and would look sharp with the existing white trim. I think your home is a good size and would not look smaller for a dark color (my opinion).

Lera Lerina thanked nickel_kg
  • K Laurence

I like Patricia’s suggestion regarding color, blue would turn me off, but Ive never even considered the exterior house color of any house I’ve purchased. It’s a non issue for me.

• makmartell

Ditch the curtains. Take partim’s advice on the beds… they look messy as heck currently. Pick your favorite plant or two and get rid of the others. Declutter!

Proofread the listing. Misspelling Delaware makes me wonder what else your realtor missed…

• tfitz1006

Do you have a friend or relative with a good eye for decorating? Or for maybe $150 you could get an hour or two of a stager's time. I would also focus on doing all the things you can do yourselves to save some cash. Prune the garden, fix that gutter in the front, power wash the house if you can, do what the rest of the folks here have said regarding the curtains, plants, beds, etc. That last pic doesn't help your cause with the lot a few down from you that looks commercial. Can you get that one removed from the listing? Also clean up the description in the listing (Delaware, etc.). No all caps, no asterisks, etc. The person who buys this is probably going to be someone who loves that part of our state, the outdoors, etc. The lot is pretty.

Lera Lerina thanked tfitz1006
  • suezbell

Nice house. House itself doesn't seem to have an obvious immediate need for a lot of work.

Definitely do not paint any brick or stone.

Would not paint to change the house color(s) indoors or out -- would paint indoors or outdoors only if the paint is damaged. Painting only if really necessary will leave the choices of new colors to the new owners.

Instead of spending a small fortune on a remodel and not being able to recoup most of it, focus on the easier and/or less costly fixes that will make that first welcoming impression; and, if necessary, adjust your price to sell -- leaving yourself (and your realtor, if applicable) a bit of a bargaining room.

By removing the more scraggly un-kept looking items growing in front of the house (and in front of the side yard of the house) and leaving a healthy, well kept front lawn with a walk path from steps to driveway that is safe and looks good-- and, importantly, and doesn't immediately need work -- you have real potential to make a positive first impression: "You never get a second chance to make a first impression.".

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/8866530491101837/

Edging/outlining your driveway will create a more finished look. If you need a very short curb (or even a retaining wall above parts) the driveway, that could be worth the investment. The objective should be to create a finished look easily mowed. A wider edging of buried brick or pavers (with only their tops showing) from steps to mailbox alongside the driveway could serve as a walk path.

Lera Lerina thanked suezbell
  • Suzieque

What is all of that stuff lining the right side of the driveway? Also, yes, fix that downspout that sticks out into the driveway. I agree with getting rid of the draperies/valances. And, make the bedrooms look more attractive (stuff out from under the beds, or at least pushed in so it can't be seen, make it more livable-looking, etc.).

And the kitchen needs some personality, IMO. Perhaps a nice potted plant, just something other than nothing.

I can't imagine that your realtor would allow pictures like these; please address with him/her about how to best showcase your home for pictures and for showings.

Lera Lerina thanked Suzieque
    Amy Peltier Interior Design & Home

We think you might want to paint the outside of the home. Here are a few of our home designs. Pleas make note of the color of the home, the plants, and mats.

Modern Ranch · More Info

Casual Classic Remodel · More Info

• Lera Lerina

to Amy Peltier - what colour IS it? you didn’t note it.

• Lera Lerina

Shrubs are gone, same as valances, etc.

some people mentioned accessories to add personality, others- remove, so it is more like a blank slate. I tried not to have any personal photos and such, and have it less cluttered as possible ( we still live there). Working on getting a quote from a painter.

• everdebz

Hello. I have similar floor tile - grout cleaning is yuc, but will look less like a grid... oh some have suggested using a grout painting pen.... ?

• happyleg

What is the color of the outside of the house? The kitchen walls look look bland with the floor it needs to be some other color A lot of people don't like yellow kitchens I had a yellow kitchen once and I loved it but maybe green Or just paint it a white color to go with the cabinets but that can be a white out that must shoe paint something black to go with your stove top

Lera Lerina thanked happyleg
  • happyleg

And the other room beside the kitchen I would paint the molding around the window white all the window molding white It looks chopped up Maybe that floor in there should be staying the darker color to go with the kitchen floor and grout

• partim

Your agent did a poor job of making your house inviting in the listing.

Just one example. The very first picture in your listing. The yellow lilies are lovely. They clash horribly with the siding colour and the house would have looked much better without them in it. And, because they didn't bother to take the time (30 seconds?) to adjust the brightness of the photo before publishing it, the house looks dark and uninviting. And that's just the first picture, there are many other examples of small things that should have been done to the house or to the photo to make a better online impression. Somebody just used their camera phone to walk around for 3 minutes and snap each room from the doorway. Whatever you're paying these agents, it's too much.

Your agent is lazy, or doesn't know what to do, or most likely both. If you can get out of the contract, do so. Or when you let it expire, get a better agent. We interviewed 4 when we sold my parents' house recently and 3 were real duds. No ideas, no suggestions, rushed and uninterested. One was fantastic.

If you're stuck with them for now, show them the 2 pictures below and ask them why they didn't show your house better. Ask they why they felt they had to include picture 30 on your listing.

Or

Lera Lerina thanked partim
  • Lera Lerina

Jennifer Hogan - I do not understand, you posted link to similar house with higher price, stating that ours is overpriced..??? our price is LOWER than your example

• Lera Lerina

partim - thank you for your suggestions. the photographer was actually a hired professional

• partim

I presume hired by the agent? Then there is even less excuse for the poor photography. Odd angles and poor choice of things to put on the site. Your agent is responsible for the photos that go on the site and should have said these are not good quality. And should have helped you make the rooms ready for the photographer.

Lera Lerina thanked partim
  • makmartell

If the shrubs and valances are gone… hire a different photographer, and have them take NEW pictures, and UPDATE THE LISTING. There is no excuse for the poor photos, mispelled words, and just an overall poor listing. Your realtor is either lazy, or really doesn’t give a hoot.

You sound defensive… don’t be. Get pissed, and do what you need to to get results from your realtor. Up to and including finding a new one, if your current one can’t cut it.

Lera Lerina thanked makmartell
  • SashaDog

Im not sure if the color is the issue (although its not great), as much as it looks dirty. The streaks under the front shutters imply there might be a water issue. Can hou have it cleaned?

The landscaping could be weeded and edged. Some fresh mulch would help, along with pressure washing the drive way.

Theres clearly things stored under the one bed, which implies there isnt enough storage.

One lightbulb is out in the dinjng room.

What is along the edge of the driveway along the road?

Can you fix the dead spots in the back lawn?

A few bedrooms have a lot of furniture, can you remove some and put in storage while you sell?

Agree, take new pictures with the changes you made. And maybe skip the areal shots because they dont make the roof look great, especially compared to the new roofs on the neighboring houses

Lera Lerina thanked SashaDog
  • Melissa R

SW Sage Green Light

SW Rockwood Blue Green

SW Urbane Bronze

SW Inkwell

Lera Lerina thanked Melissa R
  • Jennifer Hogan

I showed you a listing of something that sold to someone who was looking for a house in your price range. They picked one that was listed $10,000 over your listing price.

For $335,000 they got a home that is on a quiet side street, not the main drag.

They got a home with a regular shaped lot, not a flag lot, that is over an acre, not .66 acres.

They got 2 recently renovated full baths.

Both homes are around the same size, but the other is slightly larger at 1900 sf vs 1800 sf.

The other home is in a much better school district.

The other home has a full deck

Read the property descriptions:

The one that sold.

A LOVELY 3/4 BEDROOM LOW-MAINTENANCE HILLSIDE BI-LEVEL WITH A GREAT LOCATION ON A VERY PRETTY, PRIVATE, & GORGEOUSLY LANDSCAPED 1.03 ACRE WOODED LOT ON A LIGHTLY-TRAVELED COUNTRY ROAD JUST MINUTES - FROM RT 78 IN A PICTURESQUE FORESTED SECTION OF BETHLEHEM TWP. SPECIAL FEATURES OF THIS BRIGHT-AND-AIRY CEDAR-SIDED HOME INCLUDE A GREAT OPEN FLOOR PLAN WITH NEWLY REFINISHED HARDWOOD FLOORS & A SPACIOUS OPEN LIVING RM WITH A FULL WALL OF FLOOR-TO-CEILING WINDOWS. THE HOME ALSO OFFERS A FULLY-EQUIPPED MODERN KITCHEN & A 24X13 FAM RM WITH A FULL RAISED HEARTH BRICK WALL WITH A WARMTH-GENERATING WOODSTOVE/FPLC. OTHER HIGHLIGHTS INCLUDE TWO UPDATED FULL BATHS, A POSSIBLE LOWER LEVEL 4TH BEDRM OR IN-LAW SUITE, 3-ZONE HWBB HEAT, CAC, A SECURITY SYSTEM, GENERATOR HOOK-UPS, A PRIVATE FULL-LENGTH DECK, & SO MUCH MORE!

Your home:

*You won't want to miss the opportunity to make this house your home! *With a park-like setting, you will want to add this home to your shopping list for sure! From Balloon Festivals to Wine tasting & Shopping, this home is in an ideal location! *Extra Large Flag Lot offers a lot of Privacy, it backs up to cornfields & protected lands! *Located across from the MUSCONETCONG RIV. & minutes to the DELEWARE RIV., you will enjoy spending time fishing & birdwatching! * If you prefer wine tasting & shopping, visit the local Wineries,

Compare the homes exteriors - front and back.

You have to understand what someone who is willing to spend $325-$335 k is expecting to get for their money.

No one has made an acceptable offer because they are finding something else to buy or waiting for something better to come on the market.

The buyers are speaking loud and clear - your home is priced too high.

• Jennifer Hogan

If I were you I would call the agent who listed and sold Turkey Hill Road and ask him why his buyers didn't pick your home, ask him if he thinks your home is overpriced and if he agrees, ask him what price point he would suggest.

This man has great experience in your area.

https://www.realtor.com/realestateagents/5673b3f9bb954c010067dbca

164 listings and 132 sold in your area.

Your agent has 12 listings and 1 sold and all of them are the NJ shore except your property.

https://www.realtor.com/realestateagents/59437590a5d1b400129b9e04

She has no idea what she is doing and did you a disservice by setting your expectations too high.

Lera Lerina thanked Jennifer Hogan
  • summersrhythm_z6a

A whole house AC unit would help to sell faster. In our area with that price tag all have AC. You are in a warmer zone, I think AC should be on the must to have list for many buyers. If you price it right, everything will sell.

• Melissa R

I agree with the poster about painting the trim around the dining room window, super easy DIY fix that can be accomplished with little cost...also, remove the pic that is way too high on the sofa wall

Using that same gallon of white paint you can quickly do the walls in the kitchen yourself too and that would make a difference.

And yes, get rid of ALL the valances even over the living room curtains

Lera Lerina thanked Melissa R
  • summersrhythm_z6a

How old is the roof? Many buyers would void older roof. It costs too much to replace. But if you adjust it in your price, it would sell.

• happyleg

You should get a stool to be tucked in at that microwave kept it on that end piece that sticks out beyond the cabinet cause people don't know what to do with that

Lera Lerina thanked happyleg
  • makmartell

So, why doesn’t your listing talk about any of that, instead of wineries and misspelled rivers? We’re not bad-mouthing your house, it is what it is, and would make a fine home. But your realtor is grossly mis-managing the listing, and we’re trying to help you see that, and make suggestions that will let you sell it more easily.

• Lera Lerina

Melissa R - yes, we were thinking to paint around big windows, weren’t sure, because some like natural wood color. exterior color - I like blue tone one…

Jennifer Hogan - thank you for your research, some good points, some I would not agree with. the location is what sold this house to us, the road although it is county road, it is not that busy or loud, and in the winter, we get plowed first ( it IS pretty big deal). On the back of the property is a corn field, on one side neighbors - we have nice family, on the other side of us, big house that is being nicely updated/renovated , ( read - no neighbors, they take care of the lawn, house , but no one is there day to day. basically we have only people on one side and they are good family. I felt so peaceful on the property/ back yard, next day we put in an offer ;-)

• happyleg

Anyway that other house to compare needs a new roof!

• Lera Lerina

partim, makmartell, thank you

SashaDog - thing along the driveway are gone, siding will be powerwashed and probably painted next week. we’ll see about pics. ( removing/adjusting)

• partim

Reading your agent's reviews, they were all about her finding people a home. Not one was about helping someone sell a home. She looks very young in her photo. Is she inexperienced?

• Lera Lerina

makmartell - I do not take it personal, I asked for advise and take it as such, getting a lot of useful info and ideas.