Software
Houzz Logo Print
tammy_raab

Need serious help with the outside of this 1970's ranch house.

13 years ago
This home was in some serious need of updating when I purchased it. It is a nice quiet neighborhood, huge lawn, but outdated! I did several things to the interior. The picture is deceiving as it has a nice layout and size inside. The only things I have been able to do so far to the exterior is a storm door and a garage door. The yellow brick is awful. And matching colors to it is a nightmare. I will be getting new gutters and soffets (color??) Replacing the shutters with actual shutters the size of the window. (color?), Painting the trim? Would like to yank out 1970's bushes for new plantings and put window boxes. And update the metal posts on the porch with square ones. I need help with a major makeover of this home. Help!

Comments (24)

  • 13 years ago
    I would paint the ugly yellow brick... It would make a big difference!
  • 13 years ago
    More pictures.
  • 13 years ago
    Thank you! You made me laugh about the brick. But you are 100% right! :)
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    If you use a dark gray accent, it might help make that brick look more contemporary. I think the issue with painting brick is the long term maintenance. Use large 8"+ columns of treated lumber rather than old metal columns.

    The shrubs are not meant to look like globs in the front yard. If you get rid of them, you could install new landscape that gives a natural texture and color--not forced (hedge-trimmers). I see grasses, russian sage, cedars, a japanese maple...what zone are you in?
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    color kinda like this...I realize, yes, they painted the brick...but--so you can see yellow and gray
    French Country Garden · More Info
  • 13 years ago
    Hi Christine, thank you! I am in Zone 6. (6a to be exact). That is my worry about the brick, is the maintenance. I hadn't thought of a dark gray accent. That might look nice! And yes, I would love to take the shrubs out. They are overgrown and not attractive at all. (Basically only good for Christmas lights!)
  • 13 years ago
    My suggestions are change the gutters & soffits colour to cream. Paint the brown in a light yellow or cream. Front door paint white. Take out the bushes in front and add colourful plants, bright red, blue, or purple hydrangea which will last all summer and into fall. The bushes seem to bury the house. The colours will make your house look tall and bigger. More impressive. Please do not paint the brick, Never looks nice when finished,
  • 13 years ago
    Christine - I just saw your picture and the colors of the home are gorgeous!
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    You have a lot of options in zone 6! Connect with a local nursery/designer. They'll set you up with great plant ideas. And check the university extension. Pick a focal plant and build around it. Go crazy and paint your front door eggplant/purple...I did! =)
  • 13 years ago
    I bought a yellow brick house because I liked the location, I CHANGED THE TRIM COLOR EVERY TIME I COULD AFFORD IT. one day my husband said lets paint the BRICK we had many naysayers when we started but as we went on people started watching us, We had to have a new roof also. We got a pewter roof, painted brick White, shutters charcoal, 5 new porch posts, pulled up all old plants with our oldest car, got a new full view storm door. Then the mail man said we needed to move the house as it was the best looking house in the area. That was 30 yrs ago. the house is still pretty, Spouse is in Heaven, I still have the best looking house around.
  • 13 years ago
    Some painted brick??? I love the look of a painted ranch.
  • 13 years ago
    have to agree with Sara Mabry...she indeed has the prettiest house around...
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    I would keep the yellow brick and paint all the white trim, doors, garage, etc. with a sage green. Get rid of all the green bubble gum shrubs, remove sod and create a curving bed from the left of the house to the driveway. Fill with low-growing evergreens, ornamental grasses, perennials , annuals and boulders, with gravel as mulch. If there's room on each side of the house plant small blooming trees. Add a stepping stone path from the entrance to the driveway. Replace wrought iron columns with sturdy square ones and new wood railings on steps. If driveway is in sound condition have it stained a darker brown and scored into sections with a concrete saw.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Pebble Stone Coatings provides a great option to enhance the exterior of your home. By resurfacing your driveway, entrance, or any outdoor are with our natural pebble stone product, you will not only gain curb appeal but a great piece of mind as a customer. With a wide variety of designs and colors, any outdoor surface can be transformed.
    Visit us at www.pebblestonecoatings.com for more ideas and information!
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    We can draw all the new modern changes for you in 2 D full color rendition . No more guess work.
  • 11 years ago
    Would love to see an update if you've done any work so far! Facing some similar dilemmas with my mom's 70's ranch.
  • 11 years ago
    New foundation plantings--grasses, anything more natural-looking--would go a long way to ironing your home's curb appeal. Less grass would help too. I don't mind the brick--if you choose the right colored trim to complement it, it could work! I like the house!
  • 11 years ago

    I understand why some people would say "paint the brick", but I'd change out the windows (a very good suggestion that you've already received), do new plantings, etc. Brick is almost no maintenance - until you paint it. And I think your brick is attractive in its own way.

  • 10 years ago

    We painted our brick house 30 yrs ago and it has not been a maintenance chore. We do pressure wash the house once a year but we live in the south so everything has a tendency to get moldy with all the rain and humidity we have. We have to do the trim anyway so we just wash over the bricks too. We can do the house in a day or pay someone to do it.

  • 10 years ago

    DEAD THREAD - 2013

  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    Thank you everyone for your opinions! Finally after all these years I am moving forward. (Had to purchase a new air conditioner, furnace, water heater and removal of 4 large ash trees due to the Emerald Ash Borer - all unexpected!)


    I am getting a new roof this year (Oxford Grey) - all new gutters (white). I am still debating on painting the brick. But I think I am going to. I need to replace the wooden siding on the side peaks - to Twilight Shadow by Variform. And then the brick will be painted grey (next year.) Still wanting bigger windows as suggested. Replace the columns and tear out the landscaping. (Next year.) This house is not mine. (I wish!) But the color scheme is with the exception that the roof would be black/grey.

  • 10 years ago



  • 3 years ago

    What program are you using to visualize the plants etc

Sponsored
Daniel Home
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars20 Reviews
Premier Interior Design Team Transforming Spaces in Franklin Co, Ohio