Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tracy_renner

20 year living room problem- need placement help!

Tracy Renner
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

Hello! My living room has always been akward as the couch with chaise sits against the wall (only place possible due to a walkway to my kitche) so the tv stand is set accross from the couch and therefore not symetrical with the wall. Therefore i have always had a difficult time decorating as the space on the wall to the left and right are different lengths. I simply dont know what to do and would love fresh ideas as I am getting new kitchen cabinets in two weeks and would love new looks for both rooms as they are open, Thank you so much for the help!

***edit- thanks so much for current feedback- I am so excited about the comments, even though my info was very subpar. Here are my measurements and more pics.

** tv wall is 14 feet long - and the hallway the left is 3 feet. Wall includes the 60 inch TV stand which i will gladly replace for bigger! I don’t need the chair and I love the idea of an accent wall- maybe blue? The couch with chaise is 110 inches and then I only have 55 inches from the end of the couch to the wall. The counch goes right up to the wall with the windows. The little space where i have that small white cabinet is 36 inches. it has been there for 20 years- would love something else, but what? My kitchen will be replaced with white cabinets but since it is not a big kitchen, the layout will virtually be exactly the same. The front of the kitchen cabinets to the back of the couch is 12’8 (if that measurement is needed) I am replacing the
flooring of the kitchen and wonder if doing a darker floor and doing it throughout the living room will make the space bigger as the carpet in the living room won’t ”stop the flow”- or maybe that won’t help? Added photos from a variety of angles. Thanks so much for the current and future feedback!

Edit 9/14- i decided to to return the rug and try to find something lighter and more informal. any ideas would be appreciatedOates! did temporarily move the kitchen rug to the living room just to see and it is too small, plus in bad shape anyway. found a big blue picture in my storage to put on wall, and removed the ” look at me” ! cabinet and put the vertical picture on the wall, already looks so much bigger! Any ideas of living room or kitchen rugs? i would like to order navy blue velvet drapes- unless you kind people hate that thought. ordered a tall plant for the corner and found a tv stand around 80 inches that i will be ordering shortly. thank you all for the feedback- your ideas are fantastic!

Comments (17)

• PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    2 years ago

need to see behind the sofa and the wall to the left so we know what walkway you are talking about and what we are working with as far as all the walls and their space.

Tracy Renner thanked RL Relocation LLC
  • PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    2 years ago

first pull the rug out from under the sofa so it unifies the space, then think larger when scaling the decor on the tv wall, so the tv is part of the scale not the biggest thing. PS its not bad at all just needs a little tweaking... and some bolder choices, but lets see all the area first.

• Olychick
    2 years ago

Furniture doesn't always have to be squared off. Look at some placements with the sectional and tv set at an angle.

https://stagingandredesign.com/why-do-home-stagers-redesigners-put-furniture-on-angles/

Tracy Renner thanked Olychick
  • decoenthusiaste
    2 years ago

You have provided inadequate info and pix for us to have a complete understanding of the possibilities your room offers. We need photos of all walls and the kitchen as well as a measured floor plan of the two rooms, and indications as to where all the openings lead in order to get a feel for the traffic flow issue you mentioned.

Tracy Renner thanked decoenthusiaste
  • partim
    2 years ago

The TV wall is an asymmetrical wall anyway, with an angle and an opening to one side. So the fact that the TV is not in the center of that section of wall is not an issue at all. And you will have a chair to one side anyway, so symmetry is impossible. Aim for balance, which is very achievable.

Tracy Renner thanked partim
  • acm
    2 years ago

You really need a wider console under the TV -- ideally 30-50% wider than the TV itself. That will help with the feeling that you have wall to be filled. Then I agree with the advice above, using the rug, coffee table, and chair to create a conversational grouping.

Tracy Renner thanked acm
  • PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    2 years ago

The wall doesn't have to be green but a contrasting wall could add some interest

Tracy Renner thanked BeverlyFLADeziner
  • PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    2 years ago

ok, so you can afford to move the sofa over a hair, to wear the edge of the carpet is now. you can also pull the sofa forward a bit, and pull the rug out from under the sofa so it is closer to the tv.

that is step one.

then angle the chair just a little bit more so it sort of looks out the window.

after that we have to play with scale on the artwork for the walls and perhaps now that the sofa isnt resting on the wall you can add back curtains.

IDK how you feel about a new rug but i think a lighter choice would be better.

• partim
    2 years ago

Agree with @RL Relocation LLC's suggestions.

The white cabinet on the short wall actually constricts the traffic path past the sofa, because it prevents you from taking a diagonal path at the wall - you have to clear the cabinet before you can angle past it. And visually it's a "look at me" accent piece in a small area. Not a good look. I'd remove it entirely. On the wall where it is now I'd exchange the horizontal piece of art work for the smaller vertically-oriented piece of art work that's around the corner from it. It will look bare to you at first but give it some time. Leave that smaller wreath-facing wall empty.

That will give you more physical and visual space to move the sofa over. A 48" space between the wall and the sofa arm is sufficient, especially without the white cabinet. Your room will look more spacious with the chaise side of the sofa pulled away from the window. Right now it looks jammed against the window. Center the rug on the sofa. Only the front foot of the sofa needs to be on the rug.

Stationary drapes on either side of the window will give your room a much more finished look. It will also draw attention to your large attractive window and to the view beyond. I would go with blue. Not sure what you have there now - is it a blind?

Before you buy anything new, see what you can do with the stuff you have.

I'd remove the wreath that's centered on the window wall. It's neither in the kitchen nor the living room, and doesn't add to either room. Wait until you have added drapes to see whether that wall needs anything. A good strategy is to remove the smaller decor and wall items until the larger stuff (sofa position etc.) is decided. Then see what you need to add. Sometimes, "filling in" spaces with decor just adds to a cluttered look and draws attention away from the more attractive parts of your room, e.g. the wreath draws attention away from the attractive view out the window.

Do you need more evening lighting in the living room area? Maybe an arc lamp behind the sofa in front of the wreath wall? Or plug-in sconces against the wall to softly light the wall without any glare? But that's the step after the big pieces of furniture have been placed.

• Izzy Mn
    2 years ago

Can you switch the living room rug with the one under the dining room table? I think the less formal dining room one would look better in your living room, which is slightly formal. It doesn't have to be larger like the living room one. It doesn't have it go under the sofa at all.

Tracy Renner thanked Izzy Mn
  • decoenthusiaste
    2 years ago

The dining rug is too small for either location. should be 36-42" larger than the table. Can you float the sofa at least 2 feet away from the wall so there are 12" of clearance and then 12" of your rug extending past the chaise portion of the sofa?

Tracy Renner thanked decoenthusiaste
  • partim
    2 years ago

@decoenthusiaste The OP amended her initial post substantially and provided more measurements. "The couch with chaise is 110 inches and then I only have 55 inches from the end of the couch to the wall." So I don't think she can float the sofa that far from the wall or her walkway will be too narrow.

• PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    2 years ago

We just need to start somewhere so we can help moving forward.

• partim
    2 years ago

Thanks for the second update above. Actually, it's easier for me to follow along if you post a response in the thread, rather than updating your original post. Not sure if others agree.

Nail down your rug selections first before you order curtains. Curtains are easier to find in various colours and sizes, whereas rugs are a bit more tricky. Personally I liked the one you had but tastes vary.

• PRO
    MARGARITA BRAVO
    2 years ago

Below are a few of our designs that might help you figure out your dilemma. Please note the longer, lower TV consoles, rug, and chair placement.

Castle Pines Village · More Info

Downtown Townhouse: Living Room · More Info

Downtown Townhouse: Living Room · More Info

Tracy Renner thanked MARGARITA BRAVO
  • Tracy Renner
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thanks guys! Updated rugs are in transit, a new, longer tv stand is on order, a tall plant arrives on Saturday and I have put up the most beautiful blue curtains. I will update once I place everything together! I could not have even begun without all of your help!